• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

papado

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between Allen Edmonds and a Brooks Allen Edmonds?

Looking st the warwicks on shoe bank and came across this: https://www.shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=5748S&DIM=D&SIZE=090

I know the difference is 50 bucks right now, but can anyone shed some light on this?

X-posted to the AE thread as well

Brooks versions have a poron insole in all models (does reduce volume in shoe; if you're a tight fit as is you may want to stay away) and normally has some type of v-tread tap sole (sometimes has the Brooks Brothers signature stripe on it)

Kchris

Reaction score
What are good retailers online or offline for getting giza 45 cotton dress shirts ?

mactire

Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage compared to having them stored into a regular closed closet? Or just something that i need to keep in mind? I have justs recently been buying somewhat expensive suits and shirts and i just want to be sure that it is stored securely. My suits are into constant suit bags, everything else is just on hangers and trouser clamps.

The only things I can think of would be dust from the air settling on the garments not in suit bags. Also if placed in strong direct sunlight they could fade as well, so avoid that.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
The only things I can think of would be dust from the air settling on the garments not in suit bags. Also if placed in strong direct sunlight they could fade as well, so avoid that.

Thanks, seem like minor issues if some precaution is taken.

chrisphr

Reaction score
I need some help giving indochino instructions on what to change to solve collar gap. Since I don't know what specifically needs to change (+/-) to fix this, they are really struggling to get it right. There is about 1/2" collar gap all around. What do I tell them? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help giving indochino instructions on what to change to solve collar gap. Since I don't know what specifically needs to change (+/-) to fix this, they are really struggling to get it right. There is about 1/2" collar gap all around. What do I tell them? Thanks in advance!
You might do better in this thread.

pnin22

Reaction score
IMG_20170628_161922288_HDR~01.jpg
What do I do about the tips of my shirt collar rolling up? The shirt is a Tyrwhitt 15.5 with metal collar stays, but because of the stitching the stays don't reach the tip of the fabric.

heybear

Reaction score
View attachment 805558 What do I do about the tips of my shirt collar rolling up? The shirt is a Tyrwhitt 15.5 with metal collar stays, but because of the stitching the stays don't reach the tip of the fabric.

Magnets. Neodymium disc magnets will hold those metal stays to the shirt. Put them down near the tips and you won't get any curl.

pnin22

Reaction score
Collar has been ironed and lightly starched. I always thought the little magnets were for keeping the collar neat when not wearing a tie, but will have to get some and try.

heybear

Reaction score
There's always a bit of a gap between the tip of the stay and the tip of the collar point. That's where the collar is stitched. But if you eliminate the space between the collar and the shirt, there's no room for the tip to curl inward. What you really want is for the tip to curl outward, following the line of the shirt.

schuettlerw

Reaction score
So...I just received these in the mail. I bought them off ebay and they are 9.5C/E. They fit great width wise, but do not fit length wise and am wondering if I should try and return to the seller, or flip to profit/break even, which I may have difficulty doing, since alden shell loafers are a dime a dozen on ebay, but these were only $120 and fill a hole in my rotation well. Anyways, I was wondering if a heel tab or something would fix the issue because these shoes are great, however, I've never used a heel tab. Thanks for reading and helping!View media item 2291648View media item 2291649View media item 2291650

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads