Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Guys, was hoping to get some experiences with Harris Tweed in non winter weather.
    I was thinking of picking up a Harris Tweed blazer as it looks very nice. I'm based in Asia, so realistically if the material is thick/close weave/heavy/doesn't breathe well, it won't be practical to buy it - might get to wear it a few weeks of each year. My experience with Harris Tweed is that it is generally pretty heavy...
    Thanks.

2. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

There's no way I'd wear tweed garments in non-chilly weather. I don't know how far temperatures fall in Hong Kong, but keep in mind that it was designed for cool UK weather.

3. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

I'm in the process of building a wardrobe of sports jackets and have found a MTM that fits me very well. I'm a larger man (46L) and opted for a ventless back as I've always had issues with gaping vents on RTW jackets. I'm inclined to stick with ventless for future orders but I am worried that the resulting wardrobe will look a bit dated or odd given the overwhelming popularity of side vents. Should I go with what works best for me, or should I persevere and work with the tailor to get side vents looking right?

4. Jacobs

Jacobs Senior member

Nothing wrong with center vents in my opinion. Perhaps that's a good compromise?

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Since the jacket's MTM, and assuming it's done properly, gaping vents should not be an issue.

And yes, all else being equal, a ventless jacket does run a greater risk of appearing dated or odd, than will a side vent jacket. Because it's a little odd. And the odd, the eccentric, the uncommon, tend to age less well than the standard, the norm, the mainstream. Exceptions exist, but they're just that - exceptions. Don't count on the 80-1 long shot to win the Kentucky Derby. It happens once in a while, but don't count on it.

I'll add that purely as a matter of personal perspective, I find ventless jackets to look better on young, very slight men, than on the typical size 46L. Not that I like them all that much even on such men, but on larger men they just seem out of place. They seem best at emphasizing the slenderness of line which the typical size 46 lacks. (Not that there is anything inherently wrong with being a size 46L, anymore than there is with being a size 34S.) Again, this is my personal take on things; I don't require anyone to agree with me.

6. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

Thanks guys. Centre vents are definitely out as I have a habit of standing with my hands in my trouser pockets and would rather not expose my rear end. I think I might chance a side vent for the next commission - worst case scenario I can just get the vents closed I guess.

7. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

Yay or Nay on this combination brown leather & blue suede shoe...? casual outfit or cotton/linen suit[​IMG]

8. burnham

burnham Active Member

Where the heck can I find chunky roll necks for a reasonable price?
    I'm talking about jumpers that look like this one from cordings. Unfortunately they only have it in one size and it's a tad bit too expensive for me.

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

10. burnham

burnham Active Member

11. TheGoober

TheGoober Member

A co-worker has a pair of tan horsebit loafers with a rubber sole and pink accents in the heels. Anyone have any idea what brand these are?

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Paul Smith?

13. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

can anyone recommend a great business casual shoe (suede longwings come to mind) for ~$300?

thanks!!