Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Thoughts on using medium navy double breasted suit jacket and light grey suit pants as suit separates for a night cocktail function, mix of lawyers and business ppl? (With white or light blue shirt and tie)
    Just a bit bored of my suits at the moment, so hoping to add a bit of fun and bring some (subtle) individuality while still staying on the right side of formality - looking for a bit of inspiration. Mainly asking for interest as I wore something similar today to work and felt comfortable. Thanks!

2. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

I can't imagine this working unless the jacket looks like a sport coat in some ways. If it's worsted wool, heavily structured, etc then I expect it will look like an orphaned suit, only attracting more attention because it's db.

If it's soft or unstructured, textured and has slightly contrasting horn buttons, then yes it could be great.

3. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

1280_king_arthur_legend_of_the_sword_movie_review.jpg 1200x675.jpg
    What kind of undershirt does Hunnam wear in King Arthur? I've seen it pop around sometimes in other medieval or casual settings but never figured out if there's a proper name for it. It's got a string collar and the fabric seems like linen or rather rough cotton

4. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the typical hip/seat measurement for trousers over and above body measurements? I measure 39" around the widest part of the seat and am thinking that I should have trousers which measure around 42" for best fit. Is this 3" 'allowance' typical?

It seems this needs to be quite a precise measure. I have trousers which measure 44" that are much too baggy and flare out at the hips like jodhpurs. Then I have some at around 41" that are too tight, with pocket flare and constricted motion. So I am guessing 42" as a happy medium!

5. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

HELP!

My chinos get all creased up at the back of my thighs after sitting at my work chair. Is this common? Or is this chair just a POS?! Really annoying!

6. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Hi guys, looking for a summer suit.
    Single breasted, khaki/ beige colored, wool or wool cotton. As long as it's not linen we're fine.

Any ideas where to find one? Online, preferably in Europe.

Thanks!

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

SuitSupply, check their website. Easy returns.

8. heybear

heybear Well-Known Member

Is there ever a benefit to a % of acrylic in a sweater? I picked up a high-end sweater of 35% merino, 30% alpaca, and 35% acrylic. Acrylic is evil on its own and in high proportions, but as a part of a blend of otherwise nice things does it serve a purpose (other than to make the thing cheaper)? Will an amount like this lead to the usual pilling and itching?

9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I'm not sure but if you are looking for something similar then Darcy Clothing has a pretty mind-boggling selection of vintage reproduction shirts:

http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/shirts.html

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What knot does Anderson Cooper use? It seems very slim and elegant. Anyone know the make of the ties he uses as well?

11. StephenB

StephenB Senior member

Looks like a four in hand knot, he's pretty short so he'll be able to use a wider part of the tie to make the knot which is why I think it looks longer than most four in hands.