• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do I buy "large" umbrellas? I am 6'2", that is not really all that tall but I find a lot of store umbrellas are too small. When it is raining and my umbrella is up, my sneakers get soaked when walking. It is very annoying and shouldn't be happening at all.

I am looking a better umbrella, at a reasonable price. I have seen some of the $200+ umbrellas that are floating around here on this forum, that is too much for me. I just want the plain large umbrellas that I sometimes see people have when they are walking out in the rain. Where do I buy those? Preferable locally. I am in Toronto, Canada.

Here is my current (too small) umbrella, about 23" between the red lines:

I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/87191?promo=search

Edit: looks like Hammacher is out of stock. Try here, I believe this is direct from the manufacturer:
http://unbreakableumbrella.com/

Last edited:

ertu

Reaction score

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For people around my height, is 27" enough to keep your feet dry when walking outside during the rain?

It depends. The wind factors into it. And puddles matter a lot, too.

Anyway, if you simply want a somewhat larger than average-sized umbrella, they're available from a multitude of sources, often as "doorman's" umbrellas.

There are even larger umbrellas, "golf" umbrellas, but I wouldn't recommend you go to such an extreme. Walking along a moderately busy sidewalk, with a giant umbrella which takes up a lot of space, is sort of inconsiderate to those around you. Like the families who insist on walking 4 abreast. Plus, ridiculously oversized anythings tend to make one look comic.

Last year, my umbrella finally gave up the ghost, after years of quality service. Rather than spend the rest of the day walking around in the rain, I ducked into a nearby Jos. A Bank store, and had to decide between their Doorman Umbrella, and the Double Canopy Umbrella I wound up buying. Both were around the same size - roughly a 54" canopy - which is to say, considerably larger than the typical compact/telescoping umbrella most people use nowadays. The JAB double canopy umbrella certainly isn't impressively high end, but at least it uses fiberglass instead of aluminum, and so far I've no real complaint with it. As I recall, it ran me just under $20, on sale, with a "normal" price near $60. As you're in Canada, JAB might not be a viable option for you, but I'm sure there are local stores offering something similar.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't need an unbreakable umbrella, just a regular one.

For people around my height, is 27" enough to keep your feet dry when walking outside during the rain?

No. But then I'm 6ft 3in, and there is usually standing water on the pavement when it's raining. This is why handling rain is usually about:

- Shoes you're happy to get wet, or swims / overshoes
- An umbrella
- A raincoat

Plus accepting that with the above your trouser hems will still get damp. Let them dry naturally, and brush them if necessary to remove any dirt.

ertu

Reaction score
I don't know if I can accept that. The last time it rained I went out with my umbrella and I was wearing converse sneakers and the canvas just got soaked and it was a miserable trip overall. If a slightly bigger umbrella can help prevent soaking wet feet during rain I am all for it.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't need an unbreakable umbrella, just a regular one.

I wasn't pointing you to that umbrella for the unbreakable aspect, rather for the taller size. Also, many larger umbrellas catch the wind and break or invert. This one doesn't. Just trying to help.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if I can accept that. The last time it rained I went out with my umbrella and I was wearing converse sneakers and the canvas just got soaked and it was a miserable trip overall. If a slightly bigger umbrella can help prevent soaking wet feet during rain I am all for it.

As others have pointed out, this is unlikely since rain doesn't fall directly downward. The only thing to keep your feet totally dry would be a personal dome....

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Trying to see if the shoulders on these two shirts fit well enough? Or look too small to keep? My other option would be to size up and pay a ton for a NYC tailor to take in the sleaves, shorten it etc which I'm not dying to do. The rest of the shirt fits great as is, just the shoulders seem like they may be too small? If you need pics from a different angle or in a different way let me know.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to see if the shoulders on these two shirts fit well enough? Or look too small to keep? My other option would be to size up and pay a ton for a NYC tailor to take in the sleaves, shorten it etc which I'm not dying to do. The rest of the shirt fits great as is, just the shoulders seem like they may be too small? If you need pics from a different angle or in a different way let me know.
Looks OK to me, but you are getting some wrinkling in the shoulders, not sure if that is because the shirt is not ironed or if it is a fit issue. The seams for the shirt don't fall too short, if any.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52