• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

e.g. if i wear suit size ITA 52 (UK/US 42), what would be my idea shirt size?  17 (43)? 16.5(42)?

The correlation between the two size would likely be rather weak. Similar to attempting to determine your "ideal" shoe size, based on the length of your pants inseam.

Such a table might be of some statistical interest, as applied to large populations. But it would have little utility as applied to a specific individual.

May I ask what gives rise to this question? If you're simply curious as to your shirt (or suit) size, would it not be vastly more sensible to invest in an 89 cent tape measure, and measure your actual sizes?

EDIT: Ah, I see that you elaborated on the matter, while I was typing my response. I would only mention that getting a MTM shirt, with a 17" collar, but relatively narrow shoulders, is not particularly difficult. While reiterating that there is not a meaningful linkage between suit size and shirt size (beyond the general idea that men who wear size 54XL (US) suits tend not to wear size 14.5/31 shirts, and those who wear size 36S (US) suits are unlikely to wear size 19.5/38 shirts.)

Last edited:

environs

Reaction score
This might be a strange question, but is it possible to darken the shade by redying the fabric of a suit jacket/blazer?

I have a navy blazer that fits me very well, but its a slightly lighter shade of navy than I would like, I want it to be darker. Is there some way to do this or is there anyone I could bring the jacket to who could do this for me **without it looking terrible** ?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, sounds like you need to find a different shirt maker, one whose 17 inch neck fits you in the rest of the shirt.

jamezism

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can buy an authentic or vintage boater hat in the NYC area? I've tried buying two online and they didn't fit and the return costs killed me. I figure it's best to try them on in person.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I don't know, other than eBay. But get your head measured, and assume that any hat shop selling "one size fits all" or "small, medium, large" is usually ****. Unless they at least define what those sizes are in actual measurements. I'm sure there are plenty of makers of retro-style hats if you get googling.

jamezism

Reaction score
I don't know, other than eBay. But get your head measured, and assume that any hat shop selling "one size fits all" or "small, medium, large" is usually ****. Unless they at least define what those sizes are in actual measurements. I'm sure there are plenty of makers of retro-style hats if you get googling.
I haven't ordered any one size fits all hats. I've measured myself as 59cm and the one I got by "Olney was still too big. :( I should have just ordered 3 sizes and returned the ones that didn't fit.

kloss

Reaction score
Some of the finish on my shoes came off. Is it enough to treat them with Saphir pigmented cream, or should i have them dyed???

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some of the finish on my shoes came off. Is it enough to treat them with Saphir pigmented cream, or should i have them dyed???

Try the shoe care thread probably more help there

mco543

Reaction score
This is probably an incredibly dumb question but can a fused jacket be constructed as a 3 roll 2? I thought I read long ago that the fusing would prevent the lapel from rolling but I'm not sure and I'm probably remembering wrong.

jesPak

Reaction score
will try again at this question, no responses to previous

any suggestions for a place to get reliable suit pressing in manhattan (other than madame paulette), preferably in lower manhattan? there is a thread about this but it hasn't been updated in a while.

thanks

docka

Reaction score
I bought some new dress shirts that need tapering on the waist and chest area. Would giving the tailor one of my bespoke dress shirts suffice in terms of replicating the same chest and waist size? Is this an expensive service typically?

Benjimin

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together some sort of wardrobe that goes well with my frame. I've checked everywhere and I seem to be an odd build. When I look up "skinny", "tall" seems to be implied. I'm not tall. When I look up "average height", "average build" is implied. So, I came here for advice for dressing a skinny, average height frame. I'm 5'11" and 150lbs. Anybody got any tricks? Tips? What are some "must haves" in my wardrobe? Did I mention I'm clueless? If you find yourself using a fashion term, feel free to assume I won't know what you mean. Thanks for any help.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would giving the tailor one of my bespoke dress shirts suffice in terms of replicating the same chest and waist size? Is this an expensive service typically?

It would likely be preferable to go to the tailor, put on the shirt, and have him mark/pin it up while it's on your body. This is true for various reasons, not the least of which being that unless your bespoke shirt is constructed virtually identically to your new dress shirts, a straight "clone" would be challenging to produce, and unlikely to yield optimal results.

You've neglected to indicate where you're located, but I suspect that there are alterations tailors local to you capable of doing the job adequately and perhaps even at an affordable price. That is, there's likely no reason to send your shirts thousands of miles away to get this work done. Such being the case, why not go in and spend a few minutes putting on the shirt and letting your tailor do the job right? (I suppose you could be at a research station in Antarctica, far from any local alterations tailors, but just how many custom tailored dress shirts does one really need at a research station in Antarctica?)

I would add that variations on your question are pretty common. Often along the lines of, "Can I measure my favorite suit, and send the measurements to the tailor and tell him to copy them when altering my new suit? Oh, and what measurements should I provide? And how do I take them?" You, at least, suggested sending in the bespoke shirt, and not just measuring it. Credit to you for that. But still and all, there's nothing superior to having the guy who's going to be cutting on your shirt actually having you put it on for him first, and indicating what you want done, and how much, and all the rest. (And when you pick up your altered shirt, try it on while he's standing there, and make sure you're satisfied with it, before you take it home.)

BTW, alterations to the chest tend to be more expensive/complicated than alterations to the waist of the shirt. If all you needed were alterations to the waist, and even the sleeves, it'd be a dead simple and affordable job. You really couldn't find dress shirts that fit okay through the chest?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics