• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
Yikes, can anyone answer my questions real quick? It's almost time to go!

No to be impatient, but I still don't know what I'm doing.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yikes, can anyone answer my questions real quick? It's almost time to go!

No to be impatient, but I still don't know what I'm doing.

That shirt does not have a button-down collar. I am not a huge fan of the contrasting buttons, but I think i like it more than the white shirt. I suppose either one is fine with the gray pants and burgundy shoes.

DRBLOGSPOT

Reaction score

Does anyone know whether is it possible for a tailor to alter this pair of tuxedo pant's hem width? It has a satin stripe which i'm guessing can be very tricky. They are currently measured at 22cm, I need them at 19cm.

michaelyork

Reaction score
If the lining pocket label of a jacket says Super 100s:

and if the other lining label says Super 150s:

is this a mistake on the manufacturers part? or is super 150s part of super 100s?

environs

Reaction score
I need some medium to dark grey pants to wear with a navy jacket. I was considering the bowery in heathered cotton or charcol wool from Jcrew, but they'll take to long to ship there's some sort of delay.

Can someone reccomend somewhere else to buy pants from or any good brands? I don't want to spend more than 100$ if possible, and I'm looking for something with some texture, so no chinos.

Last edited:

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to need my suit for a graduation party, and I need to purchase a new tie and shirt for my suit. Besides, I am not good at buying ties or matching shirts with ties and PS. I am going to wear black shoes with this charcoal, lightly striped suit.

PS: Ignore the ugly tie and the shirt.

What kind of tie and color should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

jesPak

Reaction score
anyone know what "blocking" an article of clothing involves, and if it is advisable to use this to address a garment shrinking?

though i didn't think it possible, after dry cleaning a suit at madame paulette, my made-to -measure pants are slightly smaller than their non-dry-cleaned made-to-measure counterparts

the person from m.p. said they'd try to 'block it' back to original size if they had another pair of pants to compare to-

any thoughts?

thank you

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am going to need my suit for a graduation party, and I need to purchase a new tie and shirt for my suit.
What kind of tie and color should I be looking for? 

Thanks in advance!

Possibilities are almost endless. I'd wear a light blue shirt and then almost any dark tie will be great. I'd go with a tie that has a distinct pattern. White linen pocket square.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone know what "blocking" an article of clothing involves, and if it is advisable to use this to address a garment shrinking?

though i didn't think it possible, after dry cleaning a suit at madame paulette, my made-to -measure pants are slightly smaller than their non-dry-cleaned made-to-measure counterparts

the person from m.p. said they'd try to 'block it' back to original size if they had another pair of pants to compare to- 

any thoughts?

thank you

You might have to take them to a tailor and let them out a bit. Looks like they shrunk, although I'm not sure why. I thought dry cleaning didn't do that.

Wade

Reaction score
Is there like a guide on how to spot real john lobb shoes from fake ones? The william double monk in particular if possible

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics