• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely don't get a blazer made--it will look hopelessly orphaned.

Trousers are really your only choice, even if charcoal is not an ideal color for them. You don't have enough for a suit, which is by far the best thing to do with charcoal fabric.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out a jacket altogether. I think the trick to make it clearly a separate jacket, is to make it less smart than a suit. Soft shoulders, wide notch lapels, perhaps contrasting buttons, and even something unusual like flapped patch pockets. It can't really be country, which is easier to pull off, because it's so light. But it has a nice texture, and I think if you add a couple of non-suit oddities and keep it less structured, you'll have a very nice summer sports jacket.

Alternatively, nothing wrong in my book with charcoal trousers. Anything grey flannel can do, this can do, especially if you have to be semi-formal in warm weather.

jayw

Reaction score
Can I get some honest opinions on this sport coat?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
How spooky is that? Madmax, scroll down buddy! Add swollen seams and brown buttons. Trust me. :)

Jay: looks fine on the dummy. Try it on you.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get some honest opinions on this sport coat? 

I'd say, if you're under 30, then probably better to skip it. It's a bit old-fashioned. Not bad, but old-fashioned.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Wearing "old-fashioned" won't make you old. Just individual. :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's what I mustered this morning to go with my black suit

Since the whole "A black suit is usually a horrible, horrible idea" thing has already been addressed here about a hundred times, let's just skip over that part.

I think the color was okay but the skinny tie thing FAILED.
Hard for me to say for sure without seeing the suit in question, but skinny ties are often a less than ideal choice. If you tried it with a skinny tie, and decided it didn't work, then wear it with a non-skinny tie.

My creative mind can only think of black ties (with patterns or dots) to go along with this shirt. What color ties can I go with this?
Shouldn't a creative mind should be able to think outside the extremely narrow, self-imposed limitation of nothing but a black tie? (Nor, for whatever it's worth, does the combination of a black suit, blue shirt, and black tie, does not strike me as being particularly creative, nor among the better choices for wearing to most work environments.)

I mean, it's a solid blue shirt. As I said before, many tie colors can potentially work with a solid blue shirt. So can many patterns. There are more possibilities here than there are dishonest politicians in Washington.

What color ties can I go with this?
Why don't you to to thetiebar.com. I'm not necessarily suggesting you buy some ties from there. I am suggesting that you use the filters there, where you can choose to limit what you're shown by suit color, tie width, etc. And after selecting a tie, you can even see a picture of what it would look like when paired with shirts and jackets of different colors. (I don't remember whether "black" is one of the jacket color choices, but if not, I'm sure charcoal is. And that's close enough to give you some idea. I think that "blue" is one of the shirt color choices.)

Do this, to kick start your creativity out of the "must be black" rut into which it's currently trapped. You'll be presented with hundreds of ties, in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Maybe that'll get you to thinking outside the very tiny box in which your creativity is currently trapped.

Wearing a black suit, skinny black tie, and blue shirt, to work, is just such a horrible idea. (Yeah, I know I said I'd skip over that part, but I gave you a nicely thought out, hopefully somewhat helpful answer. So I felt entitled in rewarding myself with an expression of hatred for a look which truly offends my sensibilities.)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing "old-fashioned" won't make you old.  Just individual. :)

If that is your individuality - yes. If you're trying to force an individuality upon yourself that you do not possess naturally - it will look silly. If you have no idea what you're doing and just bought that jacket then it's some third thing. I'm getting myself confused, so I'll stop.

Last edited:

jayw

Reaction score
I'd say, if you're under 30, then probably better to skip it. It's a bit old-fashioned. Not bad, but old-fashioned.
Thanks for the reply Ace. What makes it old-fashioned to you? The pattern, or do you just feel tweet jackets are better suited for the older demographic in general?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply Ace. What makes it old-fashioned to you? The pattern, or do you just feel tweet jackets are better suited for the older demographic in general?

It's a combination of the material, the lapels and the shoulders. The deal breaker for me here would be the strong shoulders coupled with the material. But the jacket is still nice and if it's your style - go for it. I'd just be weary of buying it if you were a younger person. Make sure you know it's right for you first.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The flapped patch pockets, mostly, I would say. Tweed is always awesome.

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shouldn't a creative mind should be able to think outside the extremely narrow, self-imposed limitation of nothing but a black tie?

Wearing a black suit, skinny black tie, and blue shirt, to work, is just such a horrible idea. (Yeah, I know I said I'd skip over that part, but I gave you a nicely thought out, hopefully somewhat helpful answer. So I felt entitled in rewarding myself with an expression of hatred for a look which truly offends my sensibilities.)
Love it! Thanks for the very insightful response. As to having my creative mind coming up with that horrendous combo, I was being sarcastic and at the same time pointing out how uncreative I am. Guilty as charged.

Yes, that black suit issue has been beaten to death but I will keep it in my rotation. But I do have other colors so no worries there.

I'll give that website a shot but I've also found a nice place that gives basic guides (blacklapel.com).
Gosh, I've worn suits with white shirts only and sticking with pretty safe ties because I've been so afraid of trying different color shirts. But let's see if I can master blue shirts.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
But let's see if I can master blue shirts.

Swap them in for white; not always but often. It pretty much always works fine. What's more, if there are no other coloured tones in your whole outfit e.g. black suit and shoes, it could save it.

Only note of caution: if you're wearing a blue suit too, then wear something non-blue - e.g. a burgundy tie. That's it, you're pretty much done.

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Swap them in for white; not always but often. It pretty much always works fine. What's more, if there are no other coloured tones in your whole outfit e.g. black suit and shoes, it could save it.

Only note of caution: if you're wearing a blue suit too, then wear something non-blue - e.g. a burgundy tie. That's it, you're pretty much done.
I gotta pick up a light blue shirt and work it into this suit. The knot issue in this old picture has been resolved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads