1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JMartinEsq

JMartinEsq Member

Is there a forum recommended online MTM shirt maker? I've seen the mixed reviews for moderntailor. I'm currently paying $100 per for MTM from a Hong Kong tailor. I love the fit but maybe not the quality. Want to try something more convenient and less costly.

2. Solosso

Solosso Active Member

You can try our shirts out and get 50% off your first order. We had a few reviews published lately, you might find that useful when making a decision. For your convenience, here, here, and here. We do unfused collars and cuffs too, lots of people from Style Forum come because of that. More on that here.

Hope that helps.

Jan

1 person likes this.
  3. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

What is the deal with Missoni ties? I have seen a few during my short thrifting career, and passed on all occasions. They have a bit of a novelty tie look (busier patterns). Also the quality doesn't appear better than other brands. Are all missoni ties flippable?

4. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Luxire. There's a long affiliated thread for more infos.

5. abl

abl Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a winter coat that I can wear a suit under for the occasional interview. It should be Midwest winter ready. Budget is $350. Also, I'm 5'8 and pretty skinny (so I don't think a full length trench coat will work).

1. Got any suggestions?

2. Will this coat work?

[​IMG]

6. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Any opinions on this cardigan? Is the fit alright, or do I need to size down? It's lambswool - how much would I be able to shrink it without damaging the fabric?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

It's horrible and doesn't fit you. Send it to me immediately for disposal! ;D

Seriously, it's pretty nice. I'm jealous.

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I wouldn't try to shrink it and I think sizing down would be too tight.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah, that looks pretty awesome to me!

10. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Thanks for the feedback fellas. My concern is that I'm hopefully dropping another 20lbs and worried it'll be way too loose. It's a Gap medium tall.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Then you'll deal with that when it happens.

Congrats on dropping the pounds so far and good luck with the next 20!

12. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to convince myself that's an ok approach. Is it not too long for a cardigan?

Related question: You're going to lose a futher 20 lbs, but your current wardrobe of dress pants (which are worn ≥ 4x a week) is hilariously large on you. You are at a 34x34 right now. You can fit a 33x34 without too much trouble. You can squeeze into a 32, but it feels like you're going to rip the button off if you make a wrong move. You managed to snag two pairs of Banana Republic wool dress pants for $90 total (in 34) - but you're worried they're going to be way too big in like 3 months. There's definitely some fat to be trimmed in your midsection; your best guess, albeit one that you're not that confident in, is that you'll be at a 32 when you're done.

options:

a) return the pants, hold off until done losing weight, and grin/bear the horrid look for now
    b) swap em for 33s - they'll eventually go from somewhat snug to being an inch or so too big, and you can then get them taken in.
    c) get 32s, which will become wearable in around 5-6 weeks and will likely fit perfectly when done.

I can't seem to find much on SF about transitional wardrobe strategies.

I had this problem with like 4 new suits sitting in my closet; returned 'em all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  13. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Choice B.

1 person likes this.
  14. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Is Donegal wool generally softer than Shetland wool?

I tried a Shetland sweater and am not really liking the feel. I am considering a speckled Donegal now for a similar look but softer feel

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Is a double soled cordovan wingtip (RL Marlow) just completely wrong shoe to go with a navy worsted suit?

Thinking about packing light for an uncoming trip. (Suit + SC + odd pants)

16. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Shetland wool is from shetland sheep. AFAIK, all "donegal" means is the fiber has flecks in it.

Most wools are going to be a little softer than shetland, but my understanding of the terminology means that a donegal shetland isn't impossible.

Wear a thicker shirt with the shetland. I wouldn't want to wear mine with anything too thin -- though the oxford I have on under it as I type works well.

17. jmoylan

jmoylan New Member

Just picked up a pair of Alden captoes at J. Press in Manhattan today. Wonderful shoes, but upon further inspection the stamp on the inner heel says 'Alden for J. Crew'. I'm a bit baffled by this -- any explanation or need for concern? Thanks.

18. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Thanks. I though Donegal denoted origin

19. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

No problem. It is a place, after all. [​IMG]

20. n2da2nd

n2da2nd Member

What's the dress code for semi-formal? I'm going to an event at school at night and the dress code is semi-formal. This is what I have in mind.
    [​IMG]