• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't think there was.

Not enough to do much of anything with. Buy a longer sleeve length and have it shortened if it's a problem, but just buying the longer length should suffice.

Thanks, nothing I can do now as they were custom made shirts. I will mention to them that for future shirts I get from them have them a bit longer. When I have my arms down the length seems fine but this is what happens when I pull my arms fully up:

Last edited:

red81

Reaction score
Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can anyone recommend an otr blazer to be worn to an outdoor wedding?  preferrably under $200, and i'd like it to be not a beater.

thanks.

the first one is cotton (good)... second is wool (probably not good)... if it's in the tropics why not look for a decent linen, unstructured SC? BB, CK, or RL I'm sure have some basic linen SCs that will look nice, be lightweight and travel well.

maybe not this color (altho' it's certainly tropical) but something LIKE this... perhaps....

OR

I just googled "linen sport coat" ... these two happen to be on Sierra Trading Post; $140 and $200 respectively.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can anyone recommend an otr blazer to be worn to an outdoor wedding?  preferrably under $200, and i'd like it to be not a beater. ... in the tropics?

Tropics? Outdoor? Don't want to melt?

Seersucker, baby.

There's currently a sale at Jos. A. Bank on seersucker suits and sportcoats. Single breasted, double breasted (for the truly sartorially self-confident), 2-button, 3-button, you name it. In a variety of colors. $99 to $159. Personally, I'd go for the full suit, since it's not much more expensive than just the sportcoat, and an orphan pair of seersucker pants is not the worst thing in the world to have hanging in your closet, but a $99 seersucker sportcoat might suffice for your purposes.

Yeah, it's Jos. A. Bank. Not one of SF's favorite retailers. Yes, the place runs sales approximately 364 days per year, and its "regular" prices are ridiculous. And yes, many of its suits and sportcoats run to an overly roomy, traditional fit, which offends the folks around here who want their clothes close-fitted.

But come on - a perfectly decent seersucker suit, in 100% cotton, with Smart Fabric/Stays Cool lining, in all different colors and styles, for $129, with free shipping? That's definitely worth at least some consideration. Plus, if it arrives and it turns out that you hate it, JAB tends to be very easygoing when it comes to returns.

Seersucker, my friend. Seersucker. Buy it, bemoan the Senate's abandonment of Seersucker Thursday while wearing it, rent "To Kill A Mockingbird" and watch Gregory Peck wear it while playing a small town southern lawyer.

Plus, if you're traveling to this tropical wedding, and you're afraid that your clothes will be wrinkled from having been packed, seersucker looks fine when a bit rumpled. Or if you want to wear a bow tie, bow ties and seersucker suits are a classic combination. Do you often have difficulty deciding what shirt to wear with your suit? Got news for you - a plain white shirt goes just fine with a seersucker suit.

Let's be honest - can there really be many men who frequent SF, and who don't harbor, if only way back in the dark corners of their minds, a certain longing to face a hot summer day dressed in a seersucker suit, a bow tie, and a pair of spectators? Maybe even topped with a straw hat? I mean, I get that not all men here will give in to the urge. Some may even be afraid to dress like that. But that doesn't mean there isn't a small voice in the back of their heads, hinting at just how cool a thing it would be to dress that way. And to be nonchalant about it.

Seersucker.
--
Michael

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I really was going to mention seersucker as well. Just thought he would want something that would have more versatility later on when he may be able to wear it more often.. but personally I agree. Wedding in the tropics is a perfect time to indulge in some more interesting fabrics and combinations you may not be able to wear as regularly wherever you happen to be located. Good suggestion Michael.

Telnet7

Reaction score
Hello all,

Is there an accurate way to convert a jacket size to a traditional clothing size? I usually wear a size medium on clothing, what size blazer should i be looking for?

monsen86

Reaction score
Hello.

Just so you know I'm putting on my big boy pants and getting a pair of real shoes, rather than sneakers and boots!
Not long ago I ordered a pair of Florsheim Veblen shoes in size 9.5 (I usually wear 9.5 in my Nike sneakers) but when I got them they were way to big. Maybe more than an inch.
If anyone could help me out with sizing I would be very happy since I live very remote to where they usually sell Florsheim. If not - could you recommend another pair of longwing that will do me just?

Thank you and pardon the grammar.

Left Hand

Reaction score

Hello all,

Is there an accurate way to convert a jacket size to a traditional clothing size? I usually wear a size medium on clothing, what size blazer should i be looking for?

I'm pretty sure a M would be around a 38-40, depending on your build and how you like your jackets to fit.

red81

Reaction score
with only 4 Jos A bank locations within 3 miles of me, i think i'll make the "drive" this weekend.

thanks for the suggestion. i thought about a khaki suit, but i'll give seersucker a look, why not. i have a couple months to play around with searching and tailoring if need be.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello all,

Start with a 40 or 42, and work your way up to a 44 before you try a 38.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I always thought a small was 36-38, a medium 40-42, large 44-46, and so on.

Go figure. But if you like a slimmer fit, don't let that inform your sizing. The chest and shoulders must fit, and you shouldn't sacrifice that fit so the waist is slimmer. You'll need it tailored anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads