• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are wool ties supposed to be skinny or at least thinner than regular silk ties? I am trying to buy a check wool tie, but most of the ones I find are probably 3" or maybe 2.75". I usually wear a 3.25-3.5" tie.
I think the skinny tie trend has come along with a fairly large percentage of woolen ties, which is why we feel woolen ties should be skinnier. The trend has been skinny woolen ties with checked shirts etc....

Left Hand

Reaction score

:facepalm: thrift shops are as "good" as the stuff you find on the day you happen to go...
speaking of go.... maybe go here first www.google.com

I obviously tried google but it lumps them all together. I'm not trying to drive somewhere to find all they have is women's clothing.
Also, I don't think that's true about them being only as good as the things they have when you're there. Some places have much higher standards than others and some focus more on women's clothes, some men's, and some both. It's not completely random.
I think it's a pretty valid question, the facepalm wasn't really necessary.

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering who here uses the mac method for their cordovans and what wax they use.

Thanks!

Left Hand

Reaction score
I feel like there's some SF etiquette that I'm not aware of. It seems like certain threads can go off on ridiculous tangents but if someone asks a question (usually a noob question like the ones I ask) they get flamed for it. The "good thrift/consignment shops in __" are a perfect example. Why do people get so angry when this question is asked (especially in the "thrift store bragging thread")?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Established members get bashed for such things too. Check out the derailment in WAYWRN; several hall monitors got involved.

Still, some might be in the assumption that a new person hasn't lurked enough (and done his due diligence in ensuring the answer to his question isn't out there).

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like there's some SF etiquette that I'm not aware of. It seems like certain threads can go off on ridiculous tangents but if someone asks a question (usually a noob question like the ones I ask) they get flamed for it. The "good thrift/consignment shops in __" are a perfect example. Why do people get so angry when this question is asked (especially in the "thrift store bragging thread")?

you did not get flamed nor am I angry...

http://www.squidoo.com/chicagothriftstores

this may be helpful as it has dozens of links, reviews, etc.

Left Hand

Reaction score
I wasn't even talking about my question specifically, I think I only asked in here which, I assume, would be the right place to ask. It's cool, I didn't mean you and I'm not upset about it either. I was more talking about the reaction to other people that asked the same type of question in the thrift thread. I'm in Philly, by the way, but thanks for the link anyway, I'm sure there's one for Philly too.
The reason I think the question gets asked so much (or at least the reason I asked it) is because there seems to be a lot of people that bring in a ton of great stuff and then a big dropoff between them and everyone else. I guess what I mean to say is "what's the secret?" Obviously nobody's going to give their whole bag of tricks away or else they wouldn't be doing as well as they are.. just looking for a pointer or two.

Smudge

Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, pick stitching on a suit is a sign of quality right?

Edit - suit I am thinking of is a Lubiam 1911

Last edited:

Commando3200

Reaction score
How do Isaia shirts fit? The best fitting shirt I've worn was a Massimo Dutti one, so if anyone knows how Isaia compares (fit wise, I know the quality is miles apart), please help!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There are a lot of cheaper suits with machine pick stitching now. JAB has some truly awful pick sticking on some of their lines.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope. Pick stitching has shown up in all sorts of garbage suits. It's like working buttonholes. At one point, it may have only been seen on nicer suits... But then people latched onto it as a false indicator of quality--"oooh, only nice suits have working buttonholes/pick stitching!"--at which point every manufacturer started adding them. Means absolutely nothing now.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the skinny tie trend has come along with a fairly large percentage of woolen ties, which is why we feel woolen ties should be skinnier.ย  The trend has been skinny woolen ties with checked shirts etc....

I have one my Dad gave me, made in the mid 70s. Pretty much the exact same width as the modern wool ties you think of as skinny, and tie width trends in the 70s were towards the ridiculously wide end of the spectrum. Seriously, people thought this looked good.

That's just the way traditional wool ties are made.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope. Pick stitching has shown up in all sorts of garbage suits. It's like working buttonholes. At one point, it may have only been seen on nicer suits... But then people latched onto it as a false indicator of quality--"oooh, only nice suits have working buttonholes/pick stitching!"--at which point every manufacturer started adding them. Means absolutely nothing now.

Absolutely! Although I'll take the working cuff buttons as a plus. Not that they serve any real purpose. But I have always hated the 'falseness' of cuff buttons sewn over non working buttonhole stitching. Even before I knew anything about the difference. It just looks 'fake' to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads