1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Grey flannels are a staple, so just about anywhere ought to have them. I'm not from NYC, but I am sure one or all of Brooks Bros, Nordstrom, or Macy's will have something. Sears if you are looking for a cheap pair. Of those Nordstrom is probably the best quality per dollar, with BB being highest quality of those I listed.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Gents,

I'm on the look for a duffle coat and considering either grey (charcoal) or tan. I bought a BB medium duffle from ebay and it was gigantic!

I wear a 38 jacket and was hoping to wear this coat over a sweatshirt/sweater/blazer. Should I size up to a 40? Do gloverall duffles fit a little less bulky-ish? I could fit 2 of me in the BB!

Any other recs?

Thank you!

3. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Quote: The reasons I favored the houndstooth pattern was I though the charcoal mixed with brown would be better for the evening and maybe better with my olive complexion than more plain brown. Any thoughts welcomed. I want something versatile.

I have been leery about dark brown in general because I didn't associate it with the evening and thought it wouldn't match my olive complexion and black hair well but I found images of Dean Martin looking dashing in the evening in brown sportcoats so apparently I was wrong

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I'd go for your actual size in the overcoat - most are cut larger to accommodate layering and a duffel isn't exactly known for it's fitted shape.

5. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Senior member

Hey,

What kind of vans are these from this H&M lookbook video? [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Thanks

6. ridethecliche

Thanks!

I tried a different coat this weekend that was a 38 and it was small...

I'll have to take some measurements and ask sellers for them as well.

7. ridethecliche

Check in streetwear. You'll have better luck there.

8. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

quick question:

1. how do YOU prevent moths - do you store your suits in garment bags?

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

+1 - Any time I've asked a maker if I should size up for their overcoats the answer has always been no because they account for layering

10. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Yup.

Each suit goes in one of these (breathable is important) with something cedar in with it.

It only took one $$$ reweaving bill on a MTM tuxedo -- I'm never going without garment bags again.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I think I reblogged that photo of Dino. He's got a deeper, chocolate brown coat on over a navy shirt. That color is a little easier to wear, because it's got a little more umph than lighter shades.

I don't really dress for the evening, I have to admit. The last two times I went out to dinner, I wore a tan camel hair coat. If you have a solid navy blazer, that's indisputably correct for the evening. The idea of mixing brown with black/charcoal in a jacket pattern has merit, but because the brown in that houndstooth is so light, it's difficult to pair with trousers. Mid-gray wouldn't have enough contrast, charcoal would look a little awkward, and light gray isn't so evening appropriate. Based on the online photos, the second jacket would pair fairly well with a mid gray (a few shades darker than what the model wears), which lets you keep the dark jacket/light trousers contrast without having to wear really light pants.

I actually find this plain brown jacket very versatile, but I lucked into it (vintage) and I don't know where you find one like it today.

[​IMG]

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

They are not commonly used that way in north America anymore. Terms like formal and semi formal are ambiguous, and, therefore, mostly useless over here.

13. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Is there a big difference (in quality, fit etc.) between a 'pure' brand and a brand for a certain shop? So, between Zegna versus Zegna for Neiman Marcus for instance?

Also, how does this affect flippability (guessing I know the answer to this one)?

14. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

I have the lower jacket and I like it quite a bit. It's a versatile color and texture. It is probably more casual than the upper jacket, though, because of the looser weave.

15. apost

apost Member

hello all,

does anyone have any experience with britex fabric? I just ordered the following item

http://www.britexfabrics.com/fabric...orsted-wool-suiting-fabric-limited-stock.html

for a sport jacket (I hope that 2,25 yards is enaough) and I was wondering about the origin of the fabric. I emailed them asking more information, but perhaps someone here has already done business with them and wants to share his experience about the quality of the fabrics and/or service or other issues.

thanks and regards.

16. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Hello,

Is this glen check or POW (prince of wales) plaid?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

17. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

^^^ I might be wrong, but my understanding is that they are two names for the same pattern.

18. ridethecliche

Yup, you're right.

It's called glen plaid/check, but it was favored by the PoW at the time and the name stuck.

19. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Could you tell me the colors of pants you match it with and how you wear it? Casual evening dinner out? Daytime with jeans?

And did you consider the houndstooth? The one you have seems to have more subtle grey undertones to the brown and a different weave but a similar tone of brown.

20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Sorry, gents, but I'm pretty glen plaid is the pattern without an overcheck, while with an overcheck, it's POW.