Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Can I wear a white dress shirt with pinstripes, with a pinstripe suit?

Sure- if the pinstripes are of a contrasting width or distance apart or both.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Can I wear a white dress shirt with pinstripes, with a pinstripe suit?

Yes, but make sure there's enough difference in the patterns and either don't wear a tie, or a solid tie. generally between suit, shirt, and tie, max 2 should have a pattern of some sort, unless the third is very subtle.

3. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

Could someone please do me a favor and write out the approximate measurements on what a "slim fit" 15.5/34-35 shirt would be? I don't have one handy and I want to buy a shirt from a friend of mine online quickly.

Thanks!

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

How come all my khaki trousers have light orange stains after few months of wear????

5. afn33282

afn33282 New Member

Hullo! First post.

Please help me identify this tie knot! It looks like an elongated, symmetrical four-in-hand. The tie exits the knot very narrow-ly, before unfolding gracefully to its full width. Very elegant, and I'm dying to know which one it is...

I first noticed it in some early Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes, when they were still dressing mostly Oxbridge/UK trad, (before they went a bid mod). Some gorgeous clothes in those episodes-- e.g. here--tho this is not the knot in question, I think.

And then, it seemed to be the same one in the new Harry Potter movie--certainly here, and possibly here, here, and here, though I'm not sure about these last three.

Last example is here, on satirical news site The Onion, (stripe/white, worn by news anchor [Michael Bannon]).

Thank you so much in advance!

6. Master-Classter

How come all my khaki trousers have light orange stains after few months of wear????

No matter how much you shake and you dance, the last drop of pee always lands in your pants [​IMG]

Seriously though, only thing I can think of that may be similar is if you're using any sort of stain remover stick or spray, sometimes the chemicals of the dies and the stain removers don't like each other. I've seen some beige and cream sweaters get bright orange spots from using a stain remover...

7. aznwassabidude

aznwassabidude New Member

just trynna get 2 posts in so i can pm.

8. DTO

DTO Senior member

What does quarters of a suit means?
    Thanks

9. click here

click here Senior member

10. rapad

rapad Active Member

I would like to buy cotton sweaters, you know the thin, knit pullover I don't know how you call it [​IMG][​IMG]

Which store do you suggest ? Brands that are also to get in Europe.

11. Flame

Flame Senior member

No matter how much you shake and you dance, the last drop of pee always lands in your pants [​IMG]

Seriously though, only thing I can think of that may be similar is if you're using any sort of stain remover stick or spray, sometimes the chemicals of the dies and the stain removers don't like each other. I've seen some beige and cream sweaters get bright orange spots from using a stain remover...

Hmm i don't use stain remover...but i use woolite to wash my clothes. Still get them stains tho, they will like appear mysteriously out of nowhere. Maybe my wardrobe is too humid?

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

How does one wash a tie?

Silk ties ideally want dry-cleaning, but as silk is essentially a protein similar to hair you might be okay using baby shampoo (pressing them afterwards is tricky).

13. Master-Classter

14. auto_pilot

auto_pilot Well-Known Member

The waistline on my suit pants are too big (lost a few pounds). What is the best way to tailor them w/out the rear pockets meeting together? And can it be undone if I should gain the weight back. TIA.

15. bigbadbill

bigbadbill Member

I'm not exactly sure how to put this, but how can you tell how well a suit fits by trying it on if it is "stitched" in the back and the retailer refuses to cut the threads off? This "stitching" I believe makes it seem extremely boxy and wide at the waist, since it prevents the "vents" from overlapping. (sorry if I completely butchered the terminology, I'm not sure exactly what the different parts of a suit are called)