• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Can I wear a white dress shirt with pinstripes, with a pinstripe suit?

Yes, but make sure there's enough difference in the patterns and either don't wear a tie, or a solid tie. generally between suit, shirt, and tie, max 2 should have a pattern of some sort, unless the third is very subtle.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Could someone please do me a favor and write out the approximate measurements on what a "slim fit" 15.5/34-35 shirt would be? I don't have one handy and I want to buy a shirt from a friend of mine online quickly.

Thanks!

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come all my khaki trousers have light orange stains after few months of wear????

afn33282

Reaction score
Hullo! First post.

Please help me identify this tie knot! It looks like an elongated, symmetrical four-in-hand. The tie exits the knot very narrow-ly, before unfolding gracefully to its full width. Very elegant, and I'm dying to know which one it is...

I first noticed it in some early Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes, when they were still dressing mostly Oxbridge/UK trad, (before they went a bid mod). Some gorgeous clothes in those episodes-- e.g. here--tho this is not the knot in question, I think.

And then, it seemed to be the same one in the new Harry Potter movie--certainly here, and possibly here, here, and here, though I'm not sure about these last three.

Last example is here, on satirical news site The Onion, (stripe/white, worn by news anchor [Michael Bannon]).

Thank you so much in advance!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
How come all my khaki trousers have light orange stains after few months of wear????

No matter how much you shake and you dance, the last drop of pee always lands in your pants
crazy.gif

Seriously though, only thing I can think of that may be similar is if you're using any sort of stain remover stick or spray, sometimes the chemicals of the dies and the stain removers don't like each other. I've seen some beige and cream sweaters get bright orange spots from using a stain remover...

DTO

Reaction score
What does quarters of a suit means?
Thanks

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
No matter how much you shake and you dance, the last drop of pee always lands in your pants
crazy.gif

Seriously though, only thing I can think of that may be similar is if you're using any sort of stain remover stick or spray, sometimes the chemicals of the dies and the stain removers don't like each other. I've seen some beige and cream sweaters get bright orange spots from using a stain remover...

Hmm i don't use stain remover...but i use woolite to wash my clothes. Still get them stains tho, they will like appear mysteriously out of nowhere. Maybe my wardrobe is too humid?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
How does one wash a tie?

Silk ties ideally want dry-cleaning, but as silk is essentially a protein similar to hair you might be okay using baby shampoo (pressing them afterwards is tricky).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

auto_pilot

Reaction score
The waistline on my suit pants are too big (lost a few pounds). What is the best way to tailor them w/out the rear pockets meeting together? And can it be undone if I should gain the weight back. TIA.

bigbadbill

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how to put this, but how can you tell how well a suit fits by trying it on if it is "stitched" in the back and the retailer refuses to cut the threads off? This "stitching" I believe makes it seem extremely boxy and wide at the waist, since it prevents the "vents" from overlapping. (sorry if I completely butchered the terminology, I'm not sure exactly what the different parts of a suit are called)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads