• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are we dressing to impress SF'ers or Girls?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
...and your point is?
smile.gif

Just chiming in how I feel about the "I DRESS FOR MEEEEE!!!!1" comments. I think that while it's nice to say, "oh, I don't care what others think about my dress, I do it for my own self enjoyment", most deep down enjoy it not only when the person feels good about the way they look, but when someone else can recognize and appreciate the time, thought, and quality one puts into their outward appearance. It's this enjoyment we receive for being recognized that partly drives us to do what we do.
fight[1].gif
That's my take on it....Continue please good sirs.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've finally put some serious thought into the OP's question and come to the conclusion that is more about "me" than impressing girls. But with a twist.

I don't dress to impress myself, nor, frankly to impress others. But when I am well-dressed I simply feel very good about myself (not that I don't when I'm in my slob persona). I feel confident and sophisticated. I probably exude those qualities.

Cavalier

Reaction score
TR and RR are not going to be cool for that much longer. The "I shop at a boutique" trend has already started amongst the mainstream, and jeans that can be bought at every mall in the country are not going to be considered "cool" any more.

Like all $ fashion trends, it'll start from the top and work it's way down. I remember at one point brands like TR, RR jeans etc. were cool even amongst the '$ fashion hip' crowds.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
TR and RR are not going to be cool for that much longer. The "I shop at a boutique" trend has already started amongst the mainstream, and jeans that can be bought at every mall in the country are not going to be considered "cool" any more.

Like all $ fashion trends, it'll start from the top and work it's way down. I remember at one point brands like TR, RR jeans etc. were cool even amongst the '$ fashion hip' crowds.

Maybe so, but I wear R&R jeans for the excellent fit and comfort more than their "coolness". In fact, the ones I have are ones with the least loud backpockets (just their symbol as opposed to the ones that say "RR" in huge letters...
smile.gif
).

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I've never dressed for anyone other then myself though if I were to, I would be more inclined to try and impress people here then "girls" as people here have impeccable taste while most "girls" like Bathing Ape and clunky skate shoes.

DerekH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
So i was ragging on my brother the other day for buying a pair of True Religion jeans, and telling him they're so played out, and that the quality and price dont match up, and selvage is the way to go blah blah blah...

He actually brought up a good point, Girls recognize the brand (and cost of the jeans) from back pocket designs, and our selvage jeans with the minimalistic back pockets may look like a ****** pair of $20 jeans to someone who doesnt know any better (although the quality far surpasses TR/R&R/7FAM, etc.)

He asked me... are you dressing for girls or the .001% of the population that actually know about quality denim just to be in your little 'selvage club' ?...

As much as I wanted to argue...i didnt really have any valid points...any insight?

Why are you dressing for women in the first place? lol!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the general inspiration for my fits comes from myself. I have a pretty clear concept of who I am and how I'd like to express that sartorially. However, a lot of motivation to take things to the next level comes from SF/the WAYWT thread. I also occasionally wear certain pieces because I know that certain girls like them.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
This thread is hilarious. All the "I dress for myself" bullshit. You guys sound like emotionally stunted adolescents storming off yelling "I don't dress for anyone but ME! It's just for ME!!!"

Give me a break.

hhhmmm......I wonder who really sounds like the emotionally stunted adolescent here.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebenga
People say they dress for themselves but then they post pics of themselves here looking for validation. I think there's more dressing for the other forum members than people want to admit.

I dress for myself but that doesn't mean I believe myself to be well/the best dressed. It's not validation some people seek but legitimate criticisms from others who they believe have more expertise.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I discovered that they do not embrace my body in its nude form.

Speak for yourself...
smile.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record: because of where I live I'm surrounded by the most stereotypical college girls and I frequently get compliments on **** like Common Projects and (arcuate-less) selvage denims.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dress for you?"

This may be true, but would you really care how you dress if you were the only one living on this planet? Deep inside you do care about what others see you as and it influences the way you dress in a way.

gilwood

Reaction score
I have a unique point of view:

I dress to be cheap and to fit in with societal norms. Let me explain. My job has a dress code policy that I have to fulfill in order to work there. Therefore I need a few pairs of typical slacks, shirts and shoes. In order to not be seen as "dirty", I need to change the colors of these items everyday. This will help me keep my job. I know that someone shouldn't get fired for wearing the same clothes everyday, but people get fired for stupider things, then justified with some excuse.

I buy higher quality clothes because I'm hoping that I can buy 5 $100 shirts and use them for 10 years with frequent washings. If they continue to look great, then that's only $500 spend over 10 years. If I buy cheap clothes, like 5 $25 shirts and they go bad every year, then I spent more money over 10 years. Same goes with shoes - buy two pairs for $500 each and use them for 10 years ($1000 total / 10 years) vs. buying two pairs each year for $100 each ($2000 total / 10 years). That's my whole justification for buying high quality clothing.

Of couse, it does give me a little inherent confidence and sense of superiority in social situations because I think I have better "taste" than my peers. Clothing should give you no superiority, but it doesn't stop the mind from thinking that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads