• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are we dressing to impress SF'ers or Girls?

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
So i was ragging on my brother the other day for buying a pair of True Religion jeans, and telling him they're so played out, and that the quality and price dont match up, and selvage is the way to go blah blah blah...

He actually brought up a good point, Girls recognize the brand (and cost of the jeans) from back pocket designs, and our selvage jeans with the minimalistic back pockets may look like a ****** pair of $20 jeans to someone who doesnt know any better (although the quality far surpasses TR/R&R/7FAM, etc.)

He asked me... are you dressing for girls or the .001% of the population that actually know about quality denim just to be in your little 'selvage club' ?...

As much as I wanted to argue...i didnt really have any valid points...any insight?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend may not know all of our obscure little brands but she can spot a fantastic fit, and upon closer inspection can see the detailing and quality of fabric which mark a well made and higher end garment (for the most part). That's all I really care about at the moment. Maybe I'm just lucky...

However in general I've yet to run into any kind of issues with females while not wearing highly recognizable clothing/brands/logos.

Since I don't really post my fits on here, I guess I'm not trying to impress everyone on SF but rather to display to my friends and perhaps females where my style is gravitating towards (since I'm young and still developing my tastes).

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why would anyone dress to impress women? most women have very little sense about men´s clothing, they are probably one step up from a blind person in this department.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
why would anyone dress to impress women? most women have very little sense about men´s clothing, they are probably one step up from a blind person in this department.

so.....you are gay?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress to impress the hot chicks here on SF.

BTW: what happened to the slayer smiley?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress to impress myself. Everything else is so distant away from the first that it doesn't really matter. If you need to buy clothes to get girls then you're obviously lacking in the areas where you need them.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
so.....you are gay?

no i simply do not dress to impress women.
I have very limited expericne with wome concerning men´s clothing but the little i have has been lead o be believe my first statement, and if i want to impress women money is usually better than anyother thing.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you really think that those girls you are talking about wouldn't think Get Smart, BraidKid, Phat Guido, and other universally praised posters look good?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
So i was ragging on my brother the other day for buying a pair of True Religion jeans, and telling him they're so played out, and that the quality and price dont match up, and selvage is the way to go blah blah blah...

He actually brought up a good point, Girls recognize the brand (and cost of the jeans) from back pocket designs, and our selvage jeans with the minimalistic back pockets may look like a ****** pair of $20 jeans to someone who doesnt know any better (although the quality far surpasses TR/R&R/7FAM, etc.)

He asked me... are you dressing for girls or the .001% of the population that actually know about quality denim just to be in your little 'selvage club' ?...

As much as I wanted to argue...i didnt really have any valid points...any insight?

Ah, well I have your comeback for you. What kind of women are you trying to attract? Just any random chick will do? Probably not. Club chicks? Meh.

Maybe you can get a few boring, superficial, dime-a-dozen chicks wearing the trendy stuff, but that's up to you. Do you just want to get laid or are you looking for a woman who appreciates the finer things? It's all about your intent. One offers the path of least resistance to cheap and fake girls, and the other will take time to get noticed.

And on the other hand. Dressing to impress iGents is just as dumb. Dress to impress yourself, because at the end of the day, you have to respect your choices in life - including how you present yourself.

turboman808

Reaction score
I dress for myself. Most girls have no sense of style. They gather like herds to the same ****. Uggs, those ugly slippers, coach, ads on there asses.

I finally slipped and said coach bags are for the lower echelons of style or something to that effect. Didn't go over with the 5 girls in the room including my girlfriend who I bought 2 coach bags for this year. Dam drinking and New Years LOL

I wouldn't dress to impress anyone here either. I think most of the guys on this forum look like dorks, Dorks with expensive clothes but still dorks. I do like to hear others opinions on this site but thats about it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee

If your brother needs the label on his jeans to get girls, and if in fact the kind of girls he's into are the ones who give a **** about that, then keep going, because this is a far deeper issue than branding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads