• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any suggestions on improving Ask Andy About Clothes?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@emptym if this isn't appropriate, feel free to nuke the thread.

I'm not paid for making this post, but as I love posting on both SF and AAAC, I've definitely noticed AAAC has gone downhill whereas SF has stayed consistent and even improved.

In my head, I think feedback from SF'ers would be great for helping to improve AAAC. I know I recognize lots of names here that used to post over there too.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to. A couple of observations:

1) there are a couple of members that are real dickheads and just plain nasty who are always sure to express that when interacting in a thread

2) too heavily moderated. I mean, they shame you for incorrect punctuation! Forget about dropping a random “f” bomb. They don’t know how to have fun.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to. A couple of observations:

1) there are a couple of members that are real dickheads and just plain nasty who are always sure to express that when interacting in a thread

2) too heavily moderated. I mean, they shame you for incorrect punctuation! Forget about dropping a random “f” bomb. They don’t know how to have fun.
I'll pass this along man.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I think they need to double down on their identity. They should change from being a .com to a .net; require a formal valediction at the end of each comment; display their adds in black and white; disallow contractions; require members sign up using their AARP membership numbers (current members can be grandfathered in); purchase a virtual country club with young female caddies who have "grown up a lot since last year"; ban members who don't wear jackets with hook-vents; only allow images from Apparel Arts; give special discounts from forum sponsors to forum members who voted for John Kasich in the 2016 primaries; offer free lessons to younger members teaching them how to speak with a Transatlantic accent; prohibit gifs, memes, emojis, and emoticons; sell branded sandpaper so you can make those unlined ocbds look sufficiently worn-in; start a lobby to get J. Press to finally fix their jacket shoulders; only allow members from the Greatest Generation to use the phrase "OK Boomer"...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tired of Ask Andy years back (at least a decade or more) and moved to Style Forum.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started with AAAC and then moved to SF. I found AAAC was a bit too commercially focused ("Learn more about Andy's favorite brands!"). I also found SF to be more informative and educational. I never go to AAAC anymore so I don't know if that is still the case. And, of course, SF has also become a bit less educational and more commercially-minded than it once was.

Reactions: RSS

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hasn't been to AAAC for ages, seems just strictly trad when I left, is it still the case?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hasn't been to AAAC for ages, seems just strictly trad when I left, is it still the case?
Tbh, I've no idea. Thinking more on it, it seems like a mostly dead forum at this point save for 15 regulars.

I made this thread when I didn't realize that it's basically 4-5 years too little, too late.

William Kazak

Reaction score
Ok. Don't know why I am not getting it. Could you forward that link that is opening for you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads