• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
In an effort to upgrade my dress, I decided to invest in some Allen Edmonds. I knew I needed a major upgrade from my Bostonian Ultralight shoes.
I guess I watch too much of the TV show Royal Pains, but I just love the contrast of walnut colored shoes with navy and grey trousers/suits. I decided to go with the McAllisters in walnut. Let me just say that I have never owned a piece of clothing in my life that is so beautiful. My old shoes were just that- shoes, but these McAllisters just seem to elevate my style to the next level. The styling is just gorgeous and it goes well with everything from dark jeans to my suit (yes, I know I need to upgrade my wardrobe to make that be plural).
I didn't think that they would be that comfortable being dress shoes and all, but I was really impressed with the comfort.

That said, I did notice some quality issues with one of the shoes in the pair. The stitching on the welt is fraying and one of the stitches on the heel is messed up and coming loose. I contacted Allen Edmonds and they were extremely kind and helpful so hopefully that will get resolved.

Since I will be dressing up quite frequently next year for school, I decided to add a second pair of Allen Edmonds and went with the bourbon Strands. I definitely look forward to adding even more in the future!

Congratulations. The walnut McAllister is a spectacular shoe. If you are going to need to dress up often for school, you may want to consider something dark, like a dark brown, black, or perhaps burgundy as your next shoe. You definitely made great choices, but darker shoes are, ceteris paribus, more formal. You may not need that formality, but it's something of which I think you should be aware if you end up looking for more shoes at some point.

optopi314

Reaction score
Congratulations. The walnut McAllister is a spectacular shoe. If you are going to need to dress up often for school, you may want to consider something dark, like a dark brown, black, or perhaps burgundy as your next shoe. You definitely made great choices, but darker shoes are, ceteris paribus, more formal. You may not need that formality, but it's something of which I think you should be aware if you end up looking for more shoes at some point.

Thanks. It's for optometry school so not super fancy dress up- just relaxed business casual shirt/tie/slacks/shoes which is why I tried to go for these as opposed to others. Hopefully I made wise choices in that regard! Definitely going to invest in more when I get towards the end as it goes from being in the clinic a little to being in the clinic every day and I want a good rotation. I was looking at the brown burnished and it didn't appeal to me. What would be a good third pair? The Strands in merlot? Or another style? Not the biggest fan of loafers.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Thanks. It's for optometry school so not super fancy dress up- just relaxed business casual shirt/tie/slacks/shoes which is why I tried to go for these as opposed to others. Hopefully I made wise choices in that regard! Definitely going to invest in more when I get towards the end as it goes from being in the clinic a little to being in the clinic every day and I want a good rotation. I was looking at the brown burnished and it didn't appeal to me. What would be a good third pair? The Strands in merlot? Or another style? Not the biggest fan of loafers. 

Loafers will grow on you. I hated them initially as well.

Strands may be a little redundant (although I LOVE the Strand), maybe something without perforations would be in order, Leeds or Park Ave in Merlot are nice as well and might bring some more contrast to your rotation.

-Mike

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Welcome to the addiction...
It is an addition. I discovered AE just this past summer and went conservatively with black PAs as my first pair. Needless to say, following this forum just fuels the addition. I'm up 6 pairs now and much more knowledgeable about what I put my feet in and how to care for my investments.

Here is my newest addition to the AE family, the Promontory Points. Any recommendation on how to pre-treat and normal cleaning procedures for the football grain leather?

emmjayb

Reaction score
Ah yes, the addiction. I started 2.5 months ago and currently have the following AE (among other new purchases, including a wonderful pair of Edward Greens):

Black 5th Ave.
Brown Park Ave.
Walnut Strand
Bourbon Strand
Dk. Chocolate Dalton
Dk. Brown Longwing

So, my question, if I were to get just ONE more pair... what would you recommend? Really want them for work (suit) purposes rather than casual.

optopi314

Reaction score

Loafers will grow on you. I hated them initially as well.

Strands may be a little redundant (although I LOVE the Strand), maybe something without perforations would be in order, Leeds or Park Ave in Merlot are nice as well and might bring some more contrast to your rotation.

-Mike

I bought a pair of black Eccos for my interview before I knew about AE (they are of the same style as the Leeds (I also realized I shouldn't have gone with a derby shoe for the interview either!)). While they look okay and while they feel like sneakers, I've realized that they are nothing like AEs. While the AEs don't compare in comfort, the look of AEs blows them out of the water.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Ah yes, the addiction. I started 2.5 months ago and currently have the following AE (among other new purchases, including a wonderful pair of Edward Greens):

Black 5th Ave.
Brown Park Ave.
Walnut Strand
Bourbon Strand
Dk. Chocolate Dalton
Dk. Brown Longwing

So, my question, if I were to get just ONE more pair... what would you recommend? Really want them for work (suit) purposes rather than casual.

Merlot McAllister

RossPirelli

Reaction score
I'm on the fence with pulling the trigger on a pair of Carson City casual boots. I've got about an hour before the sale ends. I wanted to get other SF members opinions on this boot. Any input is appreciated.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black 5th Ave.
Brown Park Ave.
Walnut Strand
Bourbon Strand
Dk. Chocolate Dalton
Dk. Brown Longwing

How about the merlot Franciscan? You don't have any monks yet. Or another blucher?

emmjayb

Reaction score

How about the merlot Franciscan? You don't have any monks yet. Or another blucher?

You know, I feel like I SHOULD have some monks and some bluchers, as I have neither. But, I am not a fan of any of the AE monks (so if/when I get, will likely be some other brand) and SF has generally turned me off bluchers entirely (like i don't know when/if I could actually wear them... which I acknowledge is both ridiculous and unfortunate).

mdavis534

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my cappuccino strands. Very happy with them. These are remakes. Was not particularly happy with the first ones. Very satified with AE customer service. Allison is fantastic!!!

Wheeled Chili welt
Light brown edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads