• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your question is. You have a pair of saddle brown shoes and found a tube of AE's saddle brown polish. For what it's worth, I use the saddle brown polish on my dark brown AE's to lighten them up a little bit and give the shoes some depth.

Thanks for the reply. I'm all set on the polish question. I was looking for input on my other question around sizing this particular shoe (last). Thanks!

2) How do you all size this last (8-108)? I wear 7.5EE on the 5-65 and 8E on the 1-511. EE doesn't seem to be an option on the 8 last so I went with 8E. They seem, to fit (I've only walked around in the store and on my home carpet) but I also think a 7.5EE would "fit" (there is plenty of space in the toe to support a shorter length, wider width).

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Maiden voyage of the Cappuccino Jeffersons.

Is that the "toasted" welt?

-Mike

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whats your opinions on Grayson tassels loafers. What would you wear the merlot with?

If you like loafers, the Grayson is a great shoe. I would wear Merlot Graysons with grays and navys. Some people won't wear loafers with a suit, but I think the Grayson is dressy enough for a suit - just my personal opinion, not a rule. However, I think the Merlot Grayson would be great with slacks and sport coat - tie or not.

For more formal occassions - evenings, interviews, court rooms, etc. - I would stick with a lace up shoe. But again, that is just my personal take on it.

Chris

jguyette

Reaction score
I got an email back from Allison regarding my request for an Eagle County MTO. I'm struck trying to figure out what I want, though.
I know I want the mini lug sole, but that's as far as I got. She confirmed that brown CXL is an option, but that would look awfully similar to the Bayfield, which I already have.
I like the idea of chocolate, chili or bourbon. I'd wear them mostly with dark denim.
Have any of you guys thought about possible combinations? Edge finishing?
Thanks!

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I got an email back from Allison regarding my request for an Eagle County MTO. I'm struck trying to figure out what I want, though.
I know I want the mini lug sole, but that's as far as I got. She confirmed that brown CXL is an option, but that would look awfully similar to the Bayfield, which I already have.
I like the idea of chocolate, chili or bourbon. I'd wear them mostly with dark denim.
Have any of you guys thought about possible combinations? Edge finishing?
Thanks!
I was the first to order the Eagle County, and posted here. Now everyone seems to be hopping on the wagon at the sale price. Here is the make up I went with.

*BOURBON CALF 2066
*TONE ON TONE STITCHING
**EXTRA BURNISH ON TOE AND HEEL AREAS
*BLACK SPLIT REVERSE WELT
*LEATHER MIDSOLE
*MINI LUG OUTSOLE
*BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

The Franciscans don't seem to get too much love on here . . . I have black and walnut and treasure them both.ย  If you haven't seen a pair in person you should check them out.

And, it's funny what you say about bluchers - I have a couple pairs (Black Hills and BB San Marco) but I almost never wear them.ย  AE has so many great casual bals (e.g., I have two each of Neumok and McTavish) that it just seems a shame to wear a blucher instead.ย  I've even been known to wear my shell Cambridges with denim . . .

Pulled trigger on the Merlot Franciscan Sunday... I was a skeptic, looking at the style and lack of comments on AE, but the GF strode past my laptop and said it was femme approved. Isn't that part of why we're doing it? I have no Merlot, and they can ALWAYS GO BACK, so... give it a look-see. ...Yeah, why doesn't the Franciscan get more looks from folks?

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Post some pics, I'm not sure I've seen any in the wild.
If that request was for me, fourspin, no problem - but they are supposed to be delivered today... Have to pass MY inspection, then it's a go. Not in the wild you can see today. Parkways (bourbon) and 5th Ave walnut to follow. Eagle County MTO, Allison???
stirpot.gif

fourspin

Reaction score
Yep, that was for you. I have some Walnut Francos, bought them during RDA, but would have been very tempted by the Merlot had I known they were coming. Would also be tempted by Mora 2.0's in Merlot....I guess I'm a monk junkie. Monkie? Wait....

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Yep, that was for you. I have some Walnut Francos, bought them during RDA, but would have been very tempted by the Merlot had I known they were coming. Would also be tempted by Mora 2.0's in Merlot....I guess I'm a monk junkie. Monkie? Wait....
Double Monkie!!! Wait... That sounds like something for me and the Mrs.!!!

I needed a couple monks mahself, and while i'm drawn to walnut and bourbon lately (plain ol' brown is kind of boring to me), merlot seemed to be an awesome middle ground for my wardrobe choices. That walnut is nasty, fourspin. I love it. Folks say 'flashy' but where else in your professional presentation do you have that kind of latitude. Tie? Watch? Meh.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like loafers, the Grayson is a great shoe. I would wear Merlot Graysons with grays and navys. Some people won't wear loafers with a suit, but I think the Grayson is dressy enough for a suit - just my personal opinion, not a rule. However, I think the Merlot Grayson would be great with slacks and sport coat - tie or not.

For more formal occassions - evenings, interviews, court rooms, etc. - I would stick with a lace up shoe. But again, that is just my personal take on it.

Chris

Those saddles in your profile pic are awesome. Custom Sheltons, or was there a Christmas version that I missed? I'd love to know more.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those saddles in your profile pic are awesome. Custom Sheltons, or was there a Christmas version that I missed? I'd love to know more.

Those were a shoe AE did a few years ago called the Holiday. They made them around Christmas for a few years, but I haven't seen them made in a while. I guess it was the former version of the Jingle Mok they are doing now.

Here is a photo I took of these shoes.

holiday.jpg

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads