Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Welcome to the addiction...

2. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Congratulations. The walnut McAllister is a spectacular shoe. If you are going to need to dress up often for school, you may want to consider something dark, like a dark brown, black, or perhaps burgundy as your next shoe. You definitely made great choices, but darker shoes are, ceteris paribus, more formal. You may not need that formality, but it's something of which I think you should be aware if you end up looking for more shoes at some point.

3. optopi314

optopi314 Member

Thanks. It's for optometry school so not super fancy dress up- just relaxed business casual shirt/tie/slacks/shoes which is why I tried to go for these as opposed to others. Hopefully I made wise choices in that regard! Definitely going to invest in more when I get towards the end as it goes from being in the clinic a little to being in the clinic every day and I want a good rotation. I was looking at the brown burnished and it didn't appeal to me. What would be a good third pair? The Strands in merlot? Or another style? Not the biggest fan of loafers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Loafers will grow on you. I hated them initially as well.

Strands may be a little redundant (although I LOVE the Strand), maybe something without perforations would be in order, Leeds or Park Ave in Merlot are nice as well and might bring some more contrast to your rotation.

-Mike

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

5. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

It is an addition. I discovered AE just this past summer and went conservatively with black PAs as my first pair. Needless to say, following this forum just fuels the addition. I'm up 6 pairs now and much more knowledgeable about what I put my feet in and how to care for my investments.

Here is my newest addition to the AE family, the Promontory Points. Any recommendation on how to pre-treat and normal cleaning procedures for the football grain leather?

[​IMG]

6. emmjayb

emmjayb Member

Ah yes, the addiction. I started 2.5 months ago and currently have the following AE (among other new purchases, including a wonderful pair of Edward Greens):

Black 5th Ave.
    Brown Park Ave.
    Walnut Strand
    Bourbon Strand
    Dk. Chocolate Dalton
    Dk. Brown Longwing

So, my question, if I were to get just ONE more pair... what would you recommend? Really want them for work (suit) purposes rather than casual.

7. optopi314

optopi314 Member

I bought a pair of black Eccos for my interview before I knew about AE (they are of the same style as the Leeds (I also realized I shouldn't have gone with a derby shoe for the interview either!)). While they look okay and while they feel like sneakers, I've realized that they are nothing like AEs. While the AEs don't compare in comfort, the look of AEs blows them out of the water.

8. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Merlot McAllister

9. emmjayb

emmjayb Member

Beautiful choice, and I am leaning towards a merlot....though one of my OTHER new purchases is a merlot pseudo-wingtip. Still, definitely a top contender. Appreciate the input!

10. zhan

zhan New Member

[​IMG]

Bourbon Daltons

11. RossPirelli

RossPirelli Member

I'm on the fence with pulling the trigger on a pair of Carson City casual boots. I've got about an hour before the sale ends. I wanted to get other SF members opinions on this boot. Any input is appreciated.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

How about the merlot Franciscan? You don't have any monks yet. Or another blucher?

13. emmjayb

emmjayb Member

You know, I feel like I SHOULD have some monks and some bluchers, as I have neither. But, I am not a fan of any of the AE monks (so if/when I get, will likely be some other brand) and SF has generally turned me off bluchers entirely (like i don't know when/if I could actually wear them... which I acknowledge is both ridiculous and unfortunate).

14. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

Here are some pics of my cappuccino strands. Very happy with them. These are remakes. Was not particularly happy with the first ones. Very satified with AE customer service. Allison is fantastic!!!

Wheeled Chili welt
    Light brown edge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The Hunter

The Hunter Well-Known Member

Those look great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.