• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Looks like Shoe Buy has a bunch of AE's prototype models that they maybe have decided not to go forward with.

Here's another: http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds-university/653582/1336248

and another: http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds-mens-sort-by-price-low-to-high/p5.htm

and another: http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds-carlyle/653591/1336270
I like the concept of the U-Wing, and it looked pretty well executed when AE posted a walnut prototype in the wild a while back. I would much rather have a plain toe though, as it is a little busy. Something like Carmina's U-Wing would be perfect

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you try and return them to Nordstrom's for a new pair? I should be able to....

Also, kind of off topic, but, AE's site says shoes can only be recrafted 2-3 times. Is that true?

Wearing a pair 2 times a week, how long before one should have to get them recrafted?

Ummm...depends on where you're walking? I go through soles pretty quickly pounding pebble concrete and subway platforms in NYC

1. I would, yes.

2. Correct. Since they stitch a new welt on right where the old welt was previously, they create new holes in that same area. Repeat a few times and the leather develops too much perforation to hold up properly.

3. Too many variables. Have a cobbler slap on a pair of Topys (or Vibram equivalent) if you're worried about longevity.

There are far too many variables to get into how long a pair should last between resolings, as the others said. Yes, it is true that a Goodyear-welted shoe can only withstand a finite number of resolings for the reason random-adam mentioned. That said, I think they are being pretty conservative with the 2-3 estimate for recraftings. 4-6 is the rule of thumb I've always stuck by.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you try and return them to Nordstrom's for a new pair? I should be able to....

Also, kind of off topic, but, AE's site says shoes can only be recrafted 2-3 times. Is that true?

Wearing a pair 2 times a week, how long before one should have to get them recrafted?

Where on their website does it say that they only expect 2-3 recraftings?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the faq about recrafting.

Ha! I even looked through that before I asked the question and somehow overlooked it. I still think that's a conservative estimate, but then again, I'm sure they keep some metrics. The average AE customer probably doesn't care for their shoes as well as most people in this forum do, and certainly not as well as some of the more expensive GY-welted brands. They do include the disclaimer that your care regimen plays into how long they will last (obviously), and I expect more than 2-3 recraftings from my shoes.

ElmerAE

Reaction score
I just spoke with Allison and she is absolutely swamped with emails and calls. She graciously asks that we are patient with her and promises that she'll get to everyone. Emails are best, calls will only slow things down.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm...depends on where you're walking? I go through soles pretty quickly pounding pebble concrete and subway platforms in NYC
haha...What are the subway platforms made of in NYC? Aren't they finished with a smooth surface?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha...What are the subway platforms made of in NYC? Aren't they finished with a smooth surface?

With caked soot and grime on top of that!

And yes, lots of metal grates, grooved steps, etc.

Mostly the biggest culprit is the rough concrete sidewalks in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. Brutal. Had to resole my regent streets after only 6 months of wearing once a week.

But I do walk outside a lot.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just spoke with Allison and she is absolutely swamped with emails and calls. She graciously asks that we are patient with her and promises that she'll get to everyone. Emails are best, calls will only slow things down.

Thanks for your patience. 
That's right everybody -- stop bugging Allison so she can respond to the email I sent this morning about the Bayfields I ordered on October 2. ;)

In seriousness, all glory to everyone at Allen Edmonds during the holiday rush. I'm grateful that I don't work in a customer-facing environment during the month of December and just as grateful for those who do.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite a few emails, I haven't heard back from her in a month about an MTO order that I placed in September :(
How about you man up and make a phone call? Why the heck would you send emails for months instead of making one phone call? The internet makes people so irrational about things like this.

evolved

Reaction score
How about you man up and make a phone call? Why the heck would you send emails for months instead of making one phone call? The internet makes people so irrational about things like this.

Cool your jets.

It's been mentioned multiple times (even in the past couple of posts) that calling slows down the process and she has even mentioned in prior emails that email is the best way to get in contact with her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads