• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampoodle

Reaction score

TJ, Here are the answers to your questions. 1) Here is a picture showing wheeled. Essentially it puts little lines along the top of the welt. Regular welts typically just have the stitches showing. Regular Welt Example: Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or McAllister Wheeled Welt Example: Allen Edmonds Jefferson (or any Independence Collection Shoe) 2) Split Welt - The welt line disappears (magically) typically under the heel of the shoe. This picture decently depicts the concept. Note that the stitching disappears once it hits the heel area. Regular (360 degree) Welt Example: Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or McAllister Split Welt Example: Alden Tasseled Loafers (Style # [COLOR=0F0705]563) (Sorry, that was the first one I found like this in my closet).[/COLOR] 3) Reverse Welt - There is a vertical piece to the welt that is stitched to the upper. Typically seen on slightly less formal shoes (Longwings, Chukkas, etc.) Regular Welt Example: Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or McAllister Reverse Welt Example: Allen Edmonds MacNeil or Dundee Hope that this helps. -Mike
(Question above was referring to this ^^)

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Took a look at the shell cambridge (AE) in burgundy.  Very nice fit, but the shell looked terrible.  I suspect it is a shoe that has been in the store for a while.  I don't know if AE shell ages this way, but I have seen this with a great deal of AE shell models in store.  The color looks like it fades, almost like it was colored with a crayon.  Additionally, the different pieces of shell on the shoe had different shades of burgundy making it look like patch-work.  (I've seen this with both AE and Alden from time to time)  Needless to say, I decided not to go with it.  I thought of ordering it directly through the website in hopes of getting a newer pair, but decided not to since I'd rather not discover a couple of months later that my shoes would transform in this manner.

Any thoughts or similar experiences??  I may just stay with AE calf models...

I posted about this exact thing a few weeks ago after I went to a store. Their demo shell shoes are garbage and get negative (not just no) care. They are not a good representation of their production shoes at all. If I had only seen their demo shoes, I would have never ever ever spent $600 on those crappier looking shoes. To me it's appalling that they represent their highest end shoes so horribly. I have found that some of their shells can be just as nice as others, i.e. Alden's. I LOVE my Walnut Shell Strands...

-Mike

Last edited:

Swampoodle

Reaction score

My newly arrived Brown calf Strand. Gonna get another pair before the Sale ends. Just undecided between Brown Mora 2.0 and a Brown MTO Dundee with trans brown welt.... Decisions decisions.
Good call going with calf vs cordovan leather--with AEs I've not been happy with shells. These look great.

lierre

Reaction score
See below

FLAWLESS VICTORY!
I apologize for the noob question. This is my first pair of good shoes and I certainly don't polish/wax/cream my shoes as diligently as many members on this forum, so I did not know if I had not protected my shoes well enough. (I brought my shoes when they were new to several cobblers and asked for an initial protective layer of polish/wax as recommended by members here, yet they all looked at me like I was crazy and said that AE shoes are so good that they "self-maintain.")

calidist

Reaction score
Took a look at the shell cambridge (AE) in burgundy. Very nice fit, but the shell looked terrible. I suspect it is a shoe that has been in the store for a while. I don't know if AE shell ages this way, but I have seen this with a great deal of AE shell models in store. The color looks like it fades, almost like it was colored with a crayon. Additionally, the different pieces of shell on the shoe had different shades of burgundy making it look like patch-work. (I've seen this with both AE and Alden from time to time) Needless to say, I decided not to go with it. I thought of ordering it directly through the website in hopes of getting a newer pair, but decided not to since I'd rather not discover a couple of months later that my shoes would transform in this manner.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?? I may just stay with AE calf models...

All of the non-outlet cordovans are now MTO, so if you buy a pair online at retail it is overwhelmingly likely that a new pair will be made for you. I suppose there is a small chance they might still have back-stock in the style and size you order, but I'm sure if you put a note in your order or order it on the phone they will make a pair from scratch for you.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I apologize for the noob question. This is my first pair of good shoes and I certainly don't polish/wax/cream my shoes as diligently as many members on this forum, so I did not know if I had not protected my shoes well enough. (I brought my shoes when they were new to several cobblers and asked for an initial protective layer of polish/wax as recommended by members here, yet they all looked at me like I was crazy and said that AE shoes are so good that they "self-maintain.")
"Self-maintain" is questionable, but they are certainly made of much better stuff than most "dress" shoes you'll see out there; a cheap pair would've likely been gouged and/or ruined by what merely scuffed your Park Avenues.

I'd rub some cream into it, let it dry, and brush 'til you can't see the scuff anymore. Repeat if needed.

tietherope

Reaction score
Don't worry about the question. It's not as big of a deal as some would lead you to believe. I don't see anything wrong with looking for advice.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted about this exact thing a few weeks ago after I went to a store. Their demo shell shoes are garbage and get negative (not just no) care. They are not a good representation of their production shoes at all. If I had only seen their demo shoes, I would have never ever ever spent $600 on those crappier looking shoes. To me it's appalling that they represent their highest end shoes so horribly. I have found that some of their shells can be just as nice as others, i.e. Alden's. I LOVE my Walnut Shell Strands...

-Mike

All of the non-outlet cordovans are now MTO, so if you buy a pair online at retail it is overwhelmingly likely that a new pair will be made for you. I suppose there is a small chance they might still have back-stock in the style and size you order, but I'm sure if you put a note in your order or order it on the phone they will make a pair from scratch for you.
Thank you gentlemen for your response. In my general experience, care for shell is pretty low maintenance. I'm not sure what the store could be doing to make them age poorly. The store I visit regularly does not display their shell shoes under display lights. They are on a table on the middle of the room. They shouldn't be discolored this badly.

I actually ordered a pair of norwich in brown shell thinking exactly what you said, calidist. When they arrived at my house, I was disappointed to see blotchy patches of varying color... the cap portion of one of the toes looked like walnut and other portions of the upper had a greenish tint. Also, there were a few small pock-marked depressions/imperfections throughout both shoes. I suppose this could have been an older shoe remaining in stock from a while back, but I still can't figure out how the coloring could be this poor stored in box. (maybe it wasn't) I might have kept them if they were $299 seconds and use them as beaters for casual wear, but even then I'd be unsure. For $550 (tax included) with the ongoing sale, I decided to return them and wait for some other shell opportunities from some other company.

I continue to enjoy my walnut shell daltons (look, comfort, etc...). I may give AE shell a try if and when the right opportunity presents itself.

Pastor

Reaction score

My Webgem Shell Cordovan Jeffersons have arrived. Here are a few pics I snapped. I will get them cleaned up and show some more pics later. Looks like a great shoe. If you didn't order a pair of these, be jealous... :)
I was on the fence but I ended up getting the same shoe as a MTO except in Cappuccino Shell instead of brown shell. It's only been three weeks and I was quoted eight so i'm not sure when they will arrive.

MKJ1

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied regarding the independence lining. I'll definitely be requesting those now.

cincikid

Reaction score
Now here Are my Brown Shell Strand, Brown Shell Jefferson and Brown Shell Patriot, to give a comparison. All 3 should be the same color of Shell Cordovan, yet you can see a difference in all 3. On the shelf below you can see my Walnut Shell Macniels (2 pair) and my Black Shell Macneils.
AE should have offered the walnut shell MTOs strictly on a "one per customer" basis
biggrin.gif

cincikid

Reaction score
Took a look at the shell cambridge (AE) in burgundy. Very nice fit, but the shell looked terrible. I suspect it is a shoe that has been in the store for a while. I don't know if AE shell ages this way, but I have seen this with a great deal of AE shell models in store. The color looks like it fades, almost like it was colored with a crayon. Additionally, the different pieces of shell on the shoe had different shades of burgundy making it look like patch-work. (I've seen this with both AE and Alden from time to time) Needless to say, I decided not to go with it. I thought of ordering it directly through the website in hopes of getting a newer pair, but decided not to since I'd rather not discover a couple of months later that my shoes would transform in this manner.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?? I may just stay with AE calf models...

-Mike
I had exactly the same experience this past week at the AE store in Chicago. The shell shoes looked beaten up and faded unevenly. The cap toes on the brown shell Strand were much lighter than the rest of the shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads