• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
AE should have offered the walnut shell MTOs strictly on a "one per customer" basis
biggrin.gif
Actually, I only ordered 1 pair, the pair you see in the middle. I ordered those when Mr. Grangaard offered the MTO special. I waited about 12 weeks, and was told they did not pass inspection. So, after seeing another SF member that had one done with a natural welt, I had them alter the makeup to a natural welt. About 10 weeks later they arrived. In my conversation with Allison, I inquired about the ones that didn't pass inspection. She affirmed my thought that they would likely end up at the shoe bank. So, about once a week I checked in to see if they had a Walnut Shell Macneil in my size, and low and behold, about a month ago, they had them in their stock. So I got them; $299. I likely would not have paid full price for 2 pair. But now I have the natural and brown welt, so I have a pair for casual and a pair for dress. It is amazing how often I get compliments on my natural welt make up.

Sorry to those that didn't get any Walnut Shell...

cincikid

Reaction score
Actually, I only ordered 1 pair, the pair you see in the middle. I ordered those when Mr. Grangaard offered the MTO special. I waited about 12 weeks, and was told they did not pass inspection. So, after seeing another SF member that had one done with a natural welt, I had them alter the makeup to a natural welt. About 10 weeks later they arrived. In my conversation with Allison, I inquired about the ones that didn't pass inspection. She affirmed my thought that they would likely end up at the shoe bank. So, about once a week I checked in to see if they had a Walnut Shell Macneil in my size, and low and behold, about a month ago, they had them in their stock. So I got them; $299. I likely would not have paid full price for 2 pair. But now I have the natural and brown welt, so I have a pair for casual and a pair for dress. It is amazing how often I get compliments on my natural welt make up.

Sorry to those that didn't get any Walnut Shell...
No worries GOP, I do know the story of your MacNeils!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, how does the AE Fifth Avenue compare to the AE Park Ave? Looks like the same last, and very similar look.
TIA,
j

AdamAdam

Reaction score

For a namesake? No problem. Here's how it looks on the invoice:

• ENGLISH TAN DUBLIN-1576
  • TONE ON TONE STITCHING
  • PORON INSOLE 3MM
  • BUFF SPLIT REVERSE WELT
  • VIBRAM LUG OUTSOLE

I'm a fan of the poron insole for more casual shoes; I've worn the nine hells out of my Wilberts and for me that insole works nicely. I wanted a more aggressive sole than the stock Bayfield so I specified that from the Long Branch. This is going to be can't-quite-justify-wearing-snow-boots footwear, like when it's bitterly cold and raining but the bus is late so I have to walk a mile to the metro station.

Incidental: Allison got back to me a couple days later with an apologetic email stating that they cannot make an English tan Dublin belt to match... so the first, best, and only choice seems to remain Dave Mitchell in Milwaukee.

Thanks, namesake. The Poron insole was standard in the original makeup of this boot was it not?

oscool27

Reaction score
I just bought these AE suede longwings from Nordstrom Rack for about $130 on clearance. What model are they? These are my first pair of AE's.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your response. In my general experience, care for shell is pretty low maintenance. I'm not sure what the store could be doing to make them age poorly. The store I visit regularly does not display their shell shoes under display lights. They are on a table on the middle of the room. They shouldn't be discolored this badly.

I actually ordered a pair of norwich in brown shell thinking exactly what you said, calidist. When they arrived at my house, I was disappointed to see blotchy patches of varying color... the cap portion of one of the toes looked like walnut and other portions of the upper had a greenish tint. Also, there were a few small pock-marked depressions/imperfections throughout both shoes. I suppose this could have been an older shoe remaining in stock from a while back, but I still can't figure out how the coloring could be this poor stored in box. (maybe it wasn't) I might have kept them if they were $299 seconds and use them as beaters for casual wear, but even then I'd be unsure. For $550 (tax included) with the ongoing sale, I decided to return them and wait for some other shell opportunities from some other company.

I continue to enjoy my walnut shell daltons (look, comfort, etc...). I may give AE shell a try if and when the right opportunity presents itself.

I agree that the shells in store look terrible. Based on the photos in this thread, you can tell that actual AE shells that customers receive here are actually quite beautiful. For some reason, the Norwich in brown Shell seems to look like a different color than other brown shells and I would agree, looks somewhat off. An MTO in the dark brown such as the one shown in GOP Shoe Guy's Jeffersons would be beautiful, if that's the actual color they came in. The right opportunity might be now, since $505.75 for a shell MTO is likely going down as the best bargain ever.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Just a PSA for those interested in both the Long Branch and Bayfield. I got them both in the same size, but the Bayfield seems to run small (at least for my foot). Sized up a half in the Bayfield and it now fits just like the Longbranch. Even in two different sizes, when placed heel to heel they are the same exact length.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I don't understand all of the recent posts with people hating on AE Shell. I would agree that often there is a bunch of creme on them when new, but after a bit of care they are beautiful. Just take a few seconds to look at the pics on here and you will see that. I will admit that on occasion there is always the exception to the rule, but I just cant understand all the negative posts re: AE shell.

shartmann

Reaction score
I just bought these AE suede longwings from Nordstrom Rack for about $130 on clearance. What model are they? These are my first pair of AE's.

Nice looking shoes in my opinion. I considered getting a pair a few months ago but I think they were around $230. I believe they are called the Schautal, at least that's what it said on the box:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I don't understand all of the recent posts with people hating on AE Shell. I would agree that often there is a bunch of creme on them when new, but after a bit of care they are beautiful. Just take a few seconds to look at the pics on here and you will see that. I will admit that on occasion there is always the exception to the rule, but I just cant understand all the negative posts re: AE shell. 

Don't think the posts are as much on hating AE Shell as it is how they care for them and present them in their stores.

Olifter

Reaction score
Would someone tell me what last the Elgins were built on? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads