1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

Actually, I only ordered 1 pair, the pair you see in the middle. I ordered those when Mr. Grangaard offered the MTO special. I waited about 12 weeks, and was told they did not pass inspection. So, after seeing another SF member that had one done with a natural welt, I had them alter the makeup to a natural welt. About 10 weeks later they arrived. In my conversation with Allison, I inquired about the ones that didn't pass inspection. She affirmed my thought that they would likely end up at the shoe bank. So, about once a week I checked in to see if they had a Walnut Shell Macneil in my size, and low and behold, about a month ago, they had them in their stock. So I got them; $299. I likely would not have paid full price for 2 pair. But now I have the natural and brown welt, so I have a pair for casual and a pair for dress. It is amazing how often I get compliments on my natural welt make up.

Sorry to those that didn't get any Walnut Shell...

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

No worries GOP, I do know the story of your MacNeils!

3. James1051

James1051 Senior Member

Hi All, how does the AE Fifth Avenue compare to the AE Park Ave? Looks like the same last, and very similar look.
    TIA,
    j

4. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

To be fair, the walnuts ran out before all of us grabbed more MTOs at the RDA price... so people who bought up all the walnut paid full price, which is probably fairer.

5. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior Member

Thanks, namesake. The Poron insole was standard in the original makeup of this boot was it not?

6. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior Member

Same last, only difference is fifth Ave has perforation on cap toe

7. oscool27

oscool27 Member

I just bought these AE suede longwings from Nordstrom Rack for about $130 on clearance. What model are they? These are my first pair of AE's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

I agree that the shells in store look terrible. Based on the photos in this thread, you can tell that actual AE shells that customers receive here are actually quite beautiful. For some reason, the Norwich in brown Shell seems to look like a different color than other brown shells and I would agree, looks somewhat off. An MTO in the dark brown such as the one shown in GOP Shoe Guy's Jeffersons would be beautiful, if that's the actual color they came in. The right opportunity might be now, since $505.75 for a shell MTO is likely going down as the best bargain ever.

9. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Just a PSA for those interested in both the Long Branch and Bayfield. I got them both in the same size, but the Bayfield seems to run small (at least for my foot). Sized up a half in the Bayfield and it now fits just like the Longbranch. Even in two different sizes, when placed heel to heel they are the same exact length.

10. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

I don't understand all of the recent posts with people hating on AE Shell. I would agree that often there is a bunch of creme on them when new, but after a bit of care they are beautiful. Just take a few seconds to look at the pics on here and you will see that. I will admit that on occasion there is always the exception to the rule, but I just cant understand all the negative posts re: AE shell.

11. shartmann

shartmann Senior Member

Nice looking shoes in my opinion. I considered getting a pair a few months ago but I think they were around $230. I believe they are called the Schautal, at least that's what it said on the box:

[​IMG]

12. AndrewN

AndrewN Active Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Don't think the posts are as much on hating AE Shell as it is how they care for them and present them in their stores.

14. Olifter

Olifter Senior Member

Would someone tell me what last the Elgins were built on? Thanks.

15. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

565 i believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.