• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlafG

Reaction score
How is the stock in the stores usually? I'm going to NYC in the july and I've been saving up so I can buy 5-6 pairs and bring home. I guesstimate that my size is 11.5/12 EE/EEE depending on the last. I have a pair of Alden bluchers on the Barrie last in 11.5EE and they are a nice fit albeit being a bit large in the heel area.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is the stock in the stores usually? I'm going to NYC in the july and I've been saving up so I can buy 5-6 pairs and bring home. I guesstimate that my size is 11.5/12 EE/EEE depending on the last. I have a pair of Alden bluchers on the Barrie last in 11.5EE and they are a nice fit albeit being a bit large in the heel area.

I've had good experiences finding a good variety of sizes in the NYC stores. There are 4 of them all within a 15 minute (at most) walk of each other. With that many stores, you have a good chance of finding a shoe in your size.

shartmann

Reaction score

How is the stock in the stores usually? I'm going to NYC in the july and I've been saving up so I can buy 5-6 pairs and bring home. I guesstimate that my size is 11.5/12 EE/EEE depending on the last. I have a pair of Alden bluchers on the Barrie last in 11.5EE and they are a nice fit albeit being a bit large in the heel area.

If you have ideas on what models you are interested in, I would contact the store ahead of time. They may be able to have the sizes available for you to try on, especially if you are interested in buying 5-6 pairs. I've done this a few times with my local store, at their suggestion. Especially if a shoe is in a different last for me they will bring in a few different sizes for me to try on.

shartmann

Reaction score

i do like the sanibel, but the patriot is such a great deal.

sanibel retail is 250 on sale for 169, i save 81, 32% savings
patriot retail is 345 on sale for 179, i save 166, 48% savings

what would you do in my position. this will be used with khaki shorts. water can come into play by the pool or rain as well.

Have you looked at the Eldorado or Boulder? They are much more casual than the Patriot, and have a rubber sole so may work better as pool shoes. I wear the Eldorado on occasion as an upgrade to Tevas, Keens, or flip flops. The bison leather is a bit unique and adds some character too, in my opinion.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you looked at the Eldorado or Boulder? They are much more casual than the Patriot, and have a rubber sole so may work better as pool shoes. I wear the Eldorado on occasion as an upgrade to Tevas, Keens, or flip flops. The bison leather is a bit unique and adds some character too, in my opinion.

Those would work with shorts, assuming you don't mind the rubber wrapping up around the sides of the shoe. I personally don't

rickrone

Reaction score
I would buy them based on what you like, not what has the higher % off. I do like the Patriot though, just not with shorts, at least for me. The Sanibel has a partial Danite sole, which will be better than the all-leather sole of the Patriot around a pool.

If you can afford both, the Patriots are still nice, but I would just wear them with long pants.

Edit to add: I'm not sure if the Preston is still listed on the website. It looks a lot like the Sanibel but in brown chromoexcel leather with contrast stitching and an all-leather sole. I got a pair on closeout a couple of months ago.

You are right, I see your point. I think I will go with the Sanibel.

These are great shoes too, and I really love the soles. I think I would go with the eldorado if i have to choose from the two because of the buffalo leather. Argh, so many shoes I want and I have to limit it right now or my wife will kill me. :(

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

what would you say would be the best pair of allen edmonds to wear with shorts?

I may be in the minority here, but I _cannot stand_ the loafers-with-shorts look. Despise it, actually. For me, if you're going to wear shorts, go with sandals or an athletic shoe. Otherwise, long pants.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may be in the minority here, but I _cannot stand_ the loafers-with-shorts look. Despise it, actually. For me, if you're going to wear shorts, go with sandals or an athletic shoe. Otherwise, long pants.

I don't care for the loafers with shorts look either, but I think sandals might be an even worse option!

Fabian43

Reaction score
Anybody interested in a pair of black Westchesters in a 10D? Got em off the bay and they are a tad big. I can post pics in a bit if anyone is interested. Looking to get what I paid $113 + $12 shipping

rickrone

Reaction score

I don't care for the loafers with shorts look either, but I think sandals might be an even worse option!

Anybody interested in a pair of black Westchesters in a 10D? Got em off the bay and they are a tad big. I can post pics in a bit if anyone is interested. Looking to get what I paid $113 + $12 shipping

Do you think boat shoes or driving mocs would be better? which one would you prefer?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

depends on the shoes, say brown moccasins* with gray shorts look good IMO

*if you classify moccasins as loafers

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
+1

I don't care for loafers at all, not in any situation. I don't mean to say that they don't work for some folks- just not for me. Loafers with shorts is considered within the bounds of good taste- but it looks terrible to me. It's too middle-agey. If you are middle-aged you'd be better off with boat shoes or canvas Sperrys or something. Italians love to wear driving shoes with shorts- the look is OK, but I'm still not diggin' it.

I have to go with elbastardo on this one- sandals are a much better option. Not those Seattle smug douchebag Teva hiking things- nice leather sandals.

Fabian43

Reaction score
syhadu5e.jpg

Excited about these black Rutledge I just got off the bay. Excellent condition, can still smell the newness of the leather. Only $100 too!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday I changed my MTO Bayfield boots to drop to my normal TTS size and have the leather insole instead of the poron insole. If anyone is having the Bayfield made up be aware that the poron insole changes the fit and makes them tighter.

Nope, I compared my shell samples from AE to all of Alden shoes just to see the difference. My cigar at least has more olive tones to it than the cappuccino/truffle. Additionally my ravello looks far different than any of the samples I received. I have the dark brown burgundy walnut and cappuccino.
This is why for these MTO I love that AE is sending us samples of the actual shell that our shoes and boots are going to be made from. I picked up a pair of Alden Ravello chukka's last year and they are an identical match to my walnut Dundee's, they are lacking much of the red common in Ravello. They are on the far right.

I need to get around to selling them to fund some more AE shoes. The walnut Dundee's stay
smile.gif

It's been nuts at work so I haven't had time to post much, but here are my patriots in burgundy shell, at lunch today, 3rd Friday in a row.

Very nice bucksfan, and my next purchase. I have been wearing my brown shell Patriots a lot this week after work and weekend. Love them.
I have never looked into whether any AE for BB or AE for RL are recraftable, so I have no opinion on the matter. I have no such models (I have tried on the BB ones and am not a big fan of the padded insole). There seems to be a variety of opinons on the subject, but obviously the esteemed Cold Iron knows much about AE.

Just use BNelson in NYC if you find they are not recraftable. For 125 you can get JR soles and very quality work. This is not a knock on AE's recraft dept. - indeed, I shoud have two pairs arriving from them anyday now.
LOL not sure about the esteemed part. I do know when Seven posts something I am going to read it though! I too am not fond of the poron insole in the BB models or any other shoe or boot it changes the fit too much for me. When BB first started carrying AE a couple of years ago they would not recraft them because that was not in the contract between AE and BB. However starting late last summer several people have posted on here and AAAC that AE will now recraft them. But to be accurate I have never asked so that is just what I have read. I agree about BNelson, I have a pair of C&J for RL mahogany shell Marlows that Nick put metal toe taps on as a test and I would not hesitate to have him do any work on my shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads