Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

1. Cheap Perry Ellis socks from Macy's.

2. I haven't used any edge dressing, but when I do I'll have to decide between Natural and Chili colors from AE.

2. njruss

njruss Senior member

I think the black strands are a beautiful shoe and plenty dressy. If you can wear a wingtip, I see no problem with these. I just got the McAllister in merlot and think it a great addition.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

True

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Anybody here have Park Avenue in Burgundy Shell?

All these pictures of shoes with shell cordovan being posted are certainly making an impression on me. Would like to compare against merlot calfskin Park Avenues.

5. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I tried to find them at Macy's - but I guess they are out of stock.

Reminds me back in Newport Beach where the style was to turn the cotton socks inside-out for that natural look. Hard to find again these days.

David

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

[​IMG]
    CAMBRIDGE -

"Some of the best of the best get to walk the hallowed halls of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and we've honored this historic academic town by giving one of our choicest models its name.

"Everything about this shoe is first-class, starting with its shell Cordovan leather exterior. The finest leather available, this material is not only soft and durable, it's certain to only look better with time. Playing off the richness of the leather, the full brogue style on this six-eyelet balmoral, which includes perfing on the wingtip, upper, eyestay and backstay and a classic medallion on the toe, conveys an air of gravitas in even the most stately of situations.

"Elegantly executed on the 5-Last, this shoe's Reddenbach double oak leather sole and a combination dovetail toplift add the final stunning touches to the Cambridge, an Allen Edmonds shoe for those that have already made it to the top of their class or are pushing to graduate to the next level."

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I don't see a lot of Park Avenues posted here. I tried mine on today casually for dinner - with my second ever attempt at spit-shining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

That's because very few SF members "bull" their shoes . . . nice job!

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

What do you mean by "bull?"

10. trig

trig Senior member

bulling = getting that mirror shine

Last edited: May 19, 2013

11. denverbizman42

denverbizman42 Member

Wow. I'd love to learn to get a mirror shine on my park avenues. I recently bought allen edmonds cream polish and applied that and then wax polish. I'm pretty detailed about shining my shoes and I have to say I had a hard time getting more than a dull shine. I do love my AE shoes but does anyone else have this problem?

12. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

I couldn't get anything more than a dull shine either using just the AE tube polish. Well, I guess the shine is a bit better than "dull" but it definitely isn' the elusive mirror shine. I'm going to order some saphir wax this week and hope that it will do the trick. I'm not sure if the black Park Avenues can actually achieve the mirror shine. If anyone has any pics of mirror shined Park Avenues...please post pictures along with an explanation of what you did exactly. It would be greatly appreciated.

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I just bought some 5th Aves. I spent 22 years in the military and could shine shoes so you needed sun glasses to look at them. My 5th Avenues I put 12 coats of the AE Brown cream and got a light shine. It is kind of annoying too, that much work should have made them glow. I am going to get a wax and try that. I am scared to use some of my army tricks like coating the shoe with kiwi and running a lighter over the shoe to melt the wax in. I will try just spit shining with a wax polish, I just ordered the AE wax and will report back after a few hours with that.

[​IMG]

14. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    AE's tube polish and creams won't work. I learned that the hard way. Wax polish like Kiwi will do the trick.

15. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

here in Portland, you can tell when somebody is dressed up because the wear socks with their sandals. :(

wore my aberdeens today... they've turned into a very comfortable shoe, but the heal seems to get looser every time I wear them. i like the shoe, but I'm think the 2 last just isn't for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.