• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get renomat without paying through the nose?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any feedback on the McGraw's? I am thinking of pulling the trigger today. My only reluctance is it's a loafer and I just tried the Presidio with bad results. I know the #2 last is difficult so I'm hoping the #4 is more forgiving. Typically I'm a 10D in the #5 last.
I have the McGraw in shell. I sized down half (9.5 to 9) in order not to get heel slip. They are slightly tight in the toes, but definitely wearable. Way better than the 9.5 presidios that I threw away. I can't speak to whether or not the shell version fits differently than the calf.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Walnut and Bourbon Strands, walnut Cliftons.
The bourbon is actually much darker than walnut, which is a surprise to me.

(The walnut strand is 5 months old.)

In case I missed the question and answer, but . . .

1) What color Edge Polish and Brand did you use on the lighter Walnut shoes above? Was it by chance Chili or Natural by Allen Edmonds?

2) And what color, brand, and product type did you use on the Welts of the same shoes? (They look darker than the uppers, and darker than the Edge)

Thanks,

David

Veridis

Reaction score
In case I missed the question and answer, but . . .

1) What color Edge Polish and Brand did you use on the lighter Walnut shoes above? Was it by chance Chili or Natural by Allen Edmonds?

2) And what color, brand, and product type did you use on the Welts of the same shoes? (They look darker than the uppers, and darker than the Edge)

Thanks,

David

Actually, the top and bottom shoes are brand new. The walnut strands do not have any edge dressing on them (look closely at the tips, they are scruffed up). I bought a bottle of chilli edge dressing but they turned out to be totally empty, so I have to buy another bottle..

What I did was to use AE's cleaner conditioner, let it dry for 10mins, then AE Premium polish in walnut spread evenly and then brushed. At the end I used a cloth to rub circles around the shoes to get a brighter shine.

Sorry if this answer disappoints you. The flash was bounced off a wall to the right, and the side lighting creates a very high contrast look.

Here is a more "normal" photo, also taken with bounced flash but with light coming at a more natural angle:

(This is a photo of a mirror image.)

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So do most owners of AE shell use Reno Mat? Is it to remove the layer of cream and help to get a brighter polish?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get me some walnut cliftons, but they're discontinued, right?

Anyway, rocking the Sheltons today:

s
Nice! This morning I actually had my Shelton's in my hand and debated wearing them. Last night I had already planned to wear a suit, then this morning remembered all of today's meetings got moved. It was too early for my mind to figure what to wear with the Shelton's so I took the easy way out and just wore the suit and Cambridge's. The description on the AE web site for them back when they were polished cobbler leather recommends wearing them with light colored pants but thinking about it now they can go with just about any colored pants. Good job.
New Shell Cordovan Daltons arrived today. Was home not feeling well, so I now had something to do. Here they are straight out of the box. These are seconds that I scored for $466. There are a couple of minor dings, but nothing that I can't live without.

Here they are after some some stripping with Reno Mat, a wipe down with a damp rag, some Renovateur, some brushing another wipe down and a bunch of brushing...

So do most owners of AE shell use Reno Mat? Is it to remove the layer of cream and help to get a brighter polish?
I do if they are thick with cream. Not all of them are but some are pretty heavy. I prefer to start with Renovautor to test and if a lot of color comes off then I finish the job I started using Renovautor then switch to Renomat and then another pass with Renovautor. I do it for the brighter polish like you said. It is hard to get a good shine on them with a layer of cream IME.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get renomat without paying through the nose?

http://www.afinepairofshoes.com/products/saphir-renomat

seems to be $20 shipped to the states for 1 bottle.
Yes, many off-shore retailers have RenoMat for $10.65 (US Dollars) plus shipping of $8.37 = $19.02 delivered.

Or, if you have several pair of Allen Edmond Shoes and Boots with various colors - you could buy direct from the Paris distributor and get RenoMat from $9.28 to $10.82, by taking advantage of adding additional Saphir Color Creams, Color Waxes, and Renovateur to your shopping cart to offset international shipping - and SAVE $79 TO $100 off the USA prices!

As an example today:

Buy from USA Retailers:
Saphir RenoMatt (1)
Saphir Color Creams (5 colors)
Saphir Color Waxes (5 colors)
Saphir Renovateur (2)
TOTAL: 242.00 DELIVERED

Buy from PARIS FRANCE distributor:

Saphir RenoMatt (1)
Saphir Color Creams (5 colors)
Saphir Color Waxes (5 colors)
Saphir Renovateur (2)
TOTAL: 163.27 DELIVERED

However, buying from some of the USA Retailers as a REGULAR customer on an as-needed basis of $50 to $75 at a time (which gets you free shipping) can be an exceptional service because they are available to call - and to instant chat - and get personalized service on the proper use of all these products. That may be well worth the extra money saved by buying from the Paris distributor.

All my best,

David

marmot8

Reaction score
Thanks Cold Iron for the response earlier. Does anyone have any experience with the Verona sizing?

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
I prefer to start with Renovautor to test and if a lot of color comes off then I finish the job I started using Renovautor then switch to Renomat and then another pass with Renovautor. I do it for the brighter polish like you said. It is hard to get a good shine on them with a layer of cream IME.
1) How do you judge if the amount of polish that comes off after using Renovateur is too much or just right? Or, are you referring to the cloth that is doing the application of Renovateur to the shoe/boot in small circular passes - which begins to show the original color being transferred from the shoe to the cloth during the application process?

The first time I used Renovateur on Walnut Calfskin's, as I was applying it - there was a noticeable amount of color that transferred from the shoe to the cloth that I used to apply it. I thought it was normal and continued on. Then I followed up with the Saphir Polish Cream and the Saphir Wax. Should I be looking for very little to next-to-no polish come off during the applying of Renovateur or when I buff it out with a cloth?

2) In the example you wrote - am I to assume you would start with Renovateur as a test, and if too much polish came off - you would continue applying Renovateur to the remainder of the shoe or boot - then wait a few minutes to dry - then buff with a brush - then start in with applying Renomat?

3) I have seen instructions and videos where after each application of a Saphir product, they use a brush and no cloth. On the other hand, I have seen where they stay with a cloth in all steps and then lightly brush, followed by another cloth shine. What have you found that works best for you?

Thanks,

David
(Saphir Novice - approaching Intermediate Novice stage!)

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not diggin the color laces that came with my snuff amoks (both tan and green)

anyone have a source for a shorter, snuff colored lace?

tia

David Copeland

Reaction score
New Shell Cordovan Daltons arrived today. Was home not feeling well, so I now had something to do. Here they are straight out of the box. These are seconds that I scored for $466. There are a couple of minor dings, but nothing that I can't live without.

Here they are after some some stripping with Reno Mat, a wipe down with a damp rag, some Renovateur, some brushing another wipe down and a bunch of brushing...

Here are the new Shells next to my Walnut Calf Daltons.

And now for a shot of my entire shoe collection.

22 total AEs

Top Row (left to right):
AE Shell Park Avenues black
AE Shell Strand brown
AE Shell Dalton burgundy
AE Dalton walnut
AE Fifth Street brown
AE Rutledge walnut

2nd Row (left to right):
AE Strand black
AE William Williams black
AE Shell Patriot brown
AE Players walnut
AE Brooks Strand walnut
AE Jefferson walnut

3rd Row (left to right):
AE McAllisters burgundy
AE Van Ness burgundy
AE Patriot burgundy
AE Neumok - custom football leather
AE Parkway walnut
AE McAllisters bourbon - Amsterdams

4th Row (left to right):
Johnston Murphy vintage wingtips (1999)
Polo boat shoe blue
Polo boat shoe plaid
AE Hamptons white/walnut
AE Neumok - custom red/white
AE Neumok blue

Bottom Row/Floor (left to right):
Banana Republic loafer black
AE MLB Yankee loafer
Banana Republic Jarret Suede Oxford blue

First, my wife looked at your collection - and quickly surmised you need about $20,000 in replacement insurance coverage added to your policy - in case of fire, flood, theft - or maybe an act of God.

Second, she is asking if you keep your car(s) in as good condition as your shoes and boots. [ grin ]

And for me, my question is - what has been your other experience with getting brand new out-of-the-box AE Calfskin shoes/boots - and hitting them with the same Renomat, Renovateur, and then perhaps Saphir Cream Polish followed by Saphir Wax?

Thanks so much,

David

PS: If you can, perhaps you can post the specs for my local wood guy to build a similar rack. You scored!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads