• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a fantastic picture!

Now my photo looks really bad!

Here are the Bourbon Strands I got today

But look at the photo in the post above because it is much better!

Chris

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am considering the boardroom in brown. Is a brown captoe an anachronism? Is it too formal for jeans and untucked shirts?

I cannot speak to the Boardroom, but I can state that a pair of dark brown Byrons (#4-last punched captoe balmoral) are my go-to daylight-function suit shoe. I'll wear Park Avenues to interviews, funerals, and evening weddings, but for anything else the Byrons really shine. There's definitely a place for a brown captoe... at least in my closet.

That said, I wouldn't wear it with anything less than a sportcoat and tie. Jeans and untucked shirts get either boots or bluchers.

Veridis

Reaction score
That is a fantastic picture!

At first I wanted to just take a quick shot to show the color difference between bourbon and walnut, but later i got carried away and spent 30mins taking the photo.. hahaha.

I've read the the bourbon was just walnut but processed into a darker color, and was afraid of getting two shoes that were too similar. Hope this helps people who are considering having these two colors in the same model.

(Photo shot with a single flash, bounced off the wall to the right)

Last edited:

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice factory sale going on right now. $179 Patriots, $199 Macneils, $199 Fifth Avenues, free shipping.

frogwash

Reaction score

Above left to right is Dark Brown, Wolverine 744 in Dark Cognac, Truffle, and Walnut.
I've been sitting here fetishing the shell samples--that Deb at AE sent me--since Saturday and also looking over all the gorgeous pictures of both the Walnut and the Truffle/Cappuccino shell shoes in this thread, trying to decide which I'll like better for my new MTO Kenilworths. This will be my first foray into the world of cordovan footwear and after way too much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Cappucinno. However, most of the Capp's I see on here have the brown edges on the soles. ^^^ I think that I would much prefer the natural sole look as in Mr. Cold Iron's walnut Dundees as above. Can anyone please let me know how I should specify this when ordering tomorrow? Is there a certain name for this edge trim? Also, while talking with Deb, she recommended the JR soles. Do I want the single or double? I tend towards being a little rough on my shoes, especially since my career entails some walking on car-lots. My thoughts are maybe the double would be better. But, perhaps, this is too much for the Kenilworth? Then again, I know absolutely nothing regarding the JR soles. Any pointers as to single or double and the benefits thereto? Thank you much!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been sitting here fetishing the shell samples--that Deb at AE sent me--since Saturday and also looking over all the gorgeous pictures of both the Walnut and the Truffle/Cappuccino shell shoes in this thread, trying to decide which I'll like better for my new MTO Kenilworths. This will be my first foray into the world of cordovan footwear and after way too much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Cappucinno. However, most of the Capp's I see on here have the brown edges on the soles. ^^^ I think that I would much prefer the natural sole look as in Mr. Cold Iron's walnut Dundees as above. Can anyone please let me know how I should specify this when ordering tomorrow? Is there a certain name for this edge trim?

Also, while talking with Deb, she recommended the JR soles. Do I want the single or double? I tend towards being a little rough on my shoes, especially since my career entails some walking on car-lots. My thoughts are maybe the double would be better. But, perhaps, this is too much for the Kenilworth? Then again, I know absolutely nothing regarding the JR soles. Any pointers e as to single or double and the benefits thereto? Thank you much!

I would go single sole on the Kenilworth.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Finally after having them a month...the Townley's are off on their maiden voyage!

Bzack

Reaction score
Anyone have any feedback on the McGraw's? I am thinking of pulling the trigger today. My only reluctance is it's a loafer and I just tried the Presidio with bad results. I know the #2 last is difficult so I'm hoping the #4 is more forgiving. Typically I'm a 10D in the #5 last.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I've been sitting here fetishing the shell samples--that Deb at AE sent me--since Saturday and also looking over all the gorgeous pictures of both the Walnut and the Truffle/Cappuccino shell shoes in this thread, trying to decide which I'll like better for my new MTO Kenilworths. This will be my first foray into the world of cordovan footwear and after way too much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Cappucinno. However, most of the Capp's I see on here have the brown edges on the soles. ^^^ I think that I would much prefer the natural sole look as in Mr. Cold Iron's walnut Dundees as above. Can anyone please let me know how I should specify this when ordering tomorrow? Is there a certain name for this edge trim?

Also, while talking with Deb, she recommended the JR soles. Do I want the single or double? I tend towards being a little rough on my shoes, especially since my career entails some walking on car-lots. My thoughts are maybe the double would be better. But, perhaps, this is too much for the Kenilworth? Then again, I know absolutely nothing regarding the JR soles. Any pointers as to single or double and the benefits thereto? Thank you much!

For my MTO order I went with a pair of walnut shell Kenilworths. I specified a single sole, although I think double sole would work just fine on the Kenilworth. The 5-last is sleek in terms of AE, but not really that sleek when compared to shoes from English makers or say Carmina, so I find a thick sole to fit in fine with the Kenilworth (as it does on Elgins and McTavishes). The main reason I went with a single sole is because I had another pair of shell PTB's on order from Carmina with double sole.

Allison from AE recommended a walnut colored welt/sole edge for my Kenilworth, so I went with that. I'm guessing the welt/sole edge on Cold Iron's Dundee is walnut colored.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I'm a 7.5E on the 5 last and my TTS is 8D (left foot) and 7.5D (right foot). I'm looking at picking up a pair of Sheltons on the 1-511 last. I know that ideally I'd go try them on but if someone wouldn't mind giving me some guidance on this last what would you recommend if I'm 7.5E on the #5?

Thanks!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go single sole on the Kenilworth.

For my MTO order I went with a pair of walnut shell Kenilworths. I specified a single sole, although I think double sole would work just fine on the Kenilworth. The 5-last is sleek in terms of AE, but not really that sleek when compared to shoes from English makers or say Carmina, so I find a thick sole to fit in fine with the Kenilworth (as it does on Elgins and McTavishes). The main reason I went with a single sole is because I had another pair of shell PTB's on order from Carmina with double sole.

Allison from AE recommended a walnut colored welt/sole edge for my Kenilworth, so I went with that. I'm guessing the welt/sole edge on Cold Iron's Dundee is walnut colored.

I think it comes down to personal preference. Either single or double sole would look fine on the Kenilworth.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer double-soles pretty much right across the board with AE. They wear longer (obviously) and tend to suit the decidedly less than delicate design of most AE models. I see no downside to the choice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads