Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

I was not buying anything on the last sale. I was not going to do it because I was going to wait for Fathers day sale.

I now own a the discontinued Lubbock, the discontinued Brown Easton belt and have my first pair of blue shoes:
    [​IMG]

Now to decide on if they stay or not.........

2. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I like to clean/condition and then polish the shoes before wearing them. There isn't anything necessary, though. Maybe a good brushing.

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Besides my AE vice, with this pic you have pinpointed my other 2 vices. Nice cars and beautiful brunettes. The car looks like mine, and the beautiful woman looks like my wife. Nice work out of you.

Last edited: May 16, 2013

4. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I've read the several posts that say that the AE for BB models use a thicker insole and therefore do not fit the same even on the same last. If I'm 7.5E on the 5 last McAllister, what size would you recommend for the BB Elgin?

Edit: In the seconds list I received from the outlet stores several models are prefaced with "Brooks Brothers xxxxx" but the Elgin just says "Elgin". Am I to assume that this is not a BB model and therefore I don't have to worry about the insole issue and just go with my 7.5E size?

Thanks.

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

If the shoes are BB models, then the seconds list will state Brook Brothers… If BB is not in front of the shoe model, then they are regular AE shoes.

6. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

The Elgin and the McTavish are known to be about half a size bigger than other 5-lasted shoes. I'm a 9D on most AE models, but bought a 8.5D Elgin when I tried it in the AE store. I believe sizing down by half on the Elgin and McTavish is more or less the consensus on this thread.

If it's the BB Elgin with the poron insole, it might be a different story though. I'm not sure about that one.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

No wooden cabinet but maybe in the future. My "storage" which does an excellent job in keeping dust out: [​IMG]

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I see your Edward Green's and raise you....Uh nevermind. I was looking at NM website last night and it recommends sizing down a 1/2 of the Clifton. Anyone have experience to confirm if this is correct.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

:D Sadly if AE did not stop making shoes on the 0 last I might not have needed to look for another brand for smart shoes.

I remember trying them on some time ago and was comfortable TTS (albeit expecting more of a roomier fit since they are bluchers).

On another note, anyone know if an AE company sale at the end of the month? My fiance's father is flying in and I wanted to pick him up a pair of shoes.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I second masernaut - I use AE cleaner / conditioner and then polish before wearing. Probably not necessary, but it gives me a chance to look the shoes over before wearing.

Chris

11. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage with my brown Lasalles.

12. robby

robby Member

Does anybody knife if the eyelets on Neumoks are supposed to be perfectly aligned? I'm looking at the reds and blues, and I notice on the red ones they're almost perfect but on the blue ones they're off by about a millimeter, so they slope slightly towards the outside. It's on both shoes though and they're perfectly symmetrical, so I can't tell whether it's intentional. Maybe I'm just really anal but it strikes me as odd if it's intentional given that they're bar-laced in the official photos.

It's most obvious when they're tight/close together:

[​IMG]

A little less obvious when spaced:

[​IMG]

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would guess that they're supposed to line up and any difference is unintentional (e.g., sometime the heel stacks are not cleanly parallel); however, I honestly would not have even noticed this if on my shoes since they are so subtle.

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I was in an AE Full-Retail store this past weekend and they told me there wasn't a Memorial Day sale going on. Not sure if they were just saying that to make me buy something then, or if thats the truth.

I told them I knew the Shoebanks were having a sale, but the SA continued to say they were not having one.

15. robby

robby Member

Thanks. In most cases I'd agree but I think because of the red it jumps out at me a bit. Fortunately the symmetry makes it work for me. Maybe it's unintentional and they just do a good job of matching them in pairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.