• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received Kenilworths off ebay, and I have two questions: 1) has anyone here noticed the weird lump under the ball of your foot? I saw someone posted a review on the AE website noting the same problem. Its almost like you can feel the shank or something 2) there is a crack on the back heel tab. Should I color it in with meltonian, or should I return the shoes? They were pretty cheap and are in spotless condition otherwise:
Yep - Probably 75% of 5-lasted shoes I have ever ordered - including the Kenilworth - have had this issue. And almost all of said 75% have been returned. Most recently it was an otherwise wonderful pair of Jeffersons in Walnut Calf. It is confusing and troubling all at once. I have never had this issue with any other AE lasts.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is good advice. And, beyond webgems, it ceratinly applies to hard-to-find shell models.

+1, I'm hoping someone from AE can get back to me before the sale is up. If I don't get a boot in the walnut I'm will probably order the chili Daltons.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if anybody was interested in this comment thread, I got a response back from AE customer service. The shoes are gone. Let this be a lesson: If you see a Webgem that you like, BUY IT, because AE can and will pull them at their discretion.
I asked if they would be put back up. This is the response:

Unfortunately not at this time. They did have some manufacturing problems with this, so they are going back to the work board on this shoe to try and fix the problem.

Does that mean my order is going to be cancelled?
No they will be filling all the orders placed under special manufacturing to ensure they will not have a problem.

According to CS, next webgem is going to be released at the end of May.

AZsundevil

Reaction score
I asked if they would be put back up. This is the response:

Unfortunately not at this time. They did have some manufacturing problems with this, so they are going back to the work board on this shoe to try and fix the problem.

Does that mean my order is going to be cancelled?
No they will be filling all the orders placed under special manufacturing to ensure they will not have a problem.

According to CS, next webgem is going to be released at the end of May.
I had asked the same question in my e-mail, and this is what I got;
Dear Sir:

We apologize for any inconvenience. These shoes can no longer be ordered. If you have any further questions please call toll free 800.235.2348 and speak with one of our representatives.

Sincerely,
(name omitted for privacy)

the e-mail I received seemed a little more final than yours, but I guess it's all the same.

hollyb

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone comment on the fit of the RL Sanderson compared to a AE #5 last shoe? I've been informed by AE that it is built on the #3 last however I've seen posts stating it is on the #2 last. On the #3 last I size down (similar to #5) however for the #2 I am TTS. Looking for some advise, as I am not aware of any options where I live to try them on. Thanks.

bucksfan

Reaction score

As a side note, I am disappointed to hear that the shell cordovan "shortage" is real... as I must now change the expected timing of some upcoming purchases.

Now, off to my meetings while ruminating on which shell shoes to hurry up and order. I wish everyone a productive day.

... And here they are... Love that fast shipping!

Side note: not much paste wax to try to remove - maybe they are listening!

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone comment on the fit of the RL Sanderson compared to a AE #5 last shoe? I've been informed by AE that it is built on the #3 last however I've seen posts stating it is on the #2 last. On the #3 last I size down (similar to #5) however for the #2 I am TTS. Looking for some advise, as I am not aware of any options where I live to try them on. Thanks.

I found that it fits similarly, but is a tad bit narrower.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... And here they are... Love that fast shipping!

Side note: not much paste wax to try to remove - maybe they are listening!

In the second place, it's good to hear about their light hand on the paste wax.

In the first place -- those look fantastic! I just pulled the trigger on some burgundy shell MacNeils; I wonder if Mr. Grangaard's offer might persist for another few months of ramen-and-PBJ diet so I can afford a pair of 14AAA walnut shell Patriots...

tampatravel

Reaction score

So if anybody was interested in this comment thread, I got a response back from AE customer service. The shoes are gone. Let this be a lesson: If you see a Webgem that you like, BUY IT, because AE can and will pull them at their discretion.

SunDevil,

Just go grab a pair of the Finch 2nds from the outlets. You'll end up with more $$$ for more shoes. I have a pair of and they're great replacements for that webgem

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Yep - Probably 75% of 5-lasted shoes I have ever ordered - including the Kenilworth - have had this issue. And almost all of said 75% have been returned. Most recently it was an otherwise wonderful pair of Jeffersons in Walnut Calf.

It is confusing and troubling all at once.

I have never had this issue with any other AE lasts.
Do you find it is something that eventually goes away? After the partial refund I ended up scoring these shoes for 100 bucks flat, and it would suck to let them go...

Maybe a thin insole could take care of it?

Last edited:

mb0893

Reaction score
Perhaps you guys can help me identify the problem and recommend a solution. I noticed some creasing around the heel of my Presidio's and can not understand why or how to fix it. It seems unnatural as opposed to regular creasing... I posted this in the shoe care thread but did not really get an answer, hoping you gents can help me out!

Last edited:

Endeavor

Reaction score
Anyone know of a "Harrisburg" model? A google search turned up nothing. They're a 5-eyed, rubber soled blucher with a plain cap-toe. Are these cemented shoes from the AE by Allen Edmonds line or are they from the mainline?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, when a shoe is 270 degree welted, what process is used to hold the rest of the shoe in-place (assuming the non-welted part is the part that goes around the heel)?

Small nails called "clinch nails" are used to hold the heel together when the shoe isn't 360 degree welted. The heel is lasted snugly, and then the clinch nails are driven through the leather. When they hit a hard surface, such as the bottom of the last, or an inserted heel plate they bend sideways and provide a permanent grip. Next, a seat lift is nailed on to provide the first layer for building the heel (seat lift, then heel base, then a couple of layers of leather, followed by the top lift which contacts the ground).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads