1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I was going to say the Sanderson because I am a big LWB fan and prefer the double leather sole, but after seeing this second pic I'd say go with the McAllister. Good luck...

2. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Here they are.. Walnut Boca Raton, Chocolate Larchmont, Tan Elgin, Walnut Strand (firsts), Burgundy Shell Patriot, Black Shell MacNeil

Great haul. I really wanted a pair of Chocolate larchmonts but they were sold out when I tried.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The photos on the AE website are horrible. ALL of them without exception, the shoes always look better in real life.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I say the McAllister and the Strand

Chris

5. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I think those are dubs, looks like 12 to me...

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I had virtually no break- in for mine, so I would not anticipate much change from how they currently fit and/or slip in the heel.

7. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

If I got those, they would be sent back faster than it took you to post that pic. That is terrible.

8. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

They're going back in the morning, I was just curious what was the deal with them.

9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I mean there is nothing wrong here; these will be seeing pavement far sooner than you'll remember that they started out as separate colors. It's your money and you should do what you want, but I personally wouldn't hassle with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Just got my Gridiron Derby Shoes from AE. Methinks they're very handsome. Here are some admittedly crappy real life pics from my cell phone:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, return them, looks like someone did some mix and match.

12. beyond

beyond Member

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster...

I got my MTO walnut shell Daltons in the other day. Just thought I'd share some pics. I had them made with a chili split reverse welt, and without the pull tab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few imperfections, such as some deep creasing on both boot shafts, which isn't a big deal since it'll be covered by my pants (and will probably crease with wear). The biggest issue in my view is that the medallions on both toes are uneven. One of them is significantly more forward than the other, while the other one is crooked. The shoe with the forward medallion also has a hump in the space above the medallion.

Additionally, there are about 19-20 total of the small holes that aren't completely punched through. You can see two unpunched holes in each of the wings in the attached pic.

I know that I cannot expect perfect shoe, but do you think these are acceptable? And can AE fix this? Please advise.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Welcome! Photos don't show up for some reason....

For a MTO, that seems to be a high proportion of issues. An uneven medallion would ruin the look IMHO. May be worth going back to AE and get their opinion. But quite a nice shoe!

14. beyond

beyond Member

Yowzer:

Pics properly uploaded! I agree since that's the part of the shoe I'll see the most. Ah.. decisions.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  15. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Looks like they made an error when positioning and punching the medallion... I won't be able to stand something like that, even if it was an online order of RTW shoe. Would always be a thorn in my head... good luck! [​IMG]

16. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Kind of hard to tell based off the angle of the pics. But to me I am not noticing much difference. Try and remember that these are hand made shoes and as a result there will always be some level of imperfection.

1 person likes this.
  17. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

+1. Maybe you can take another picture from the top? Doesn't seem to that off from the angle of the picture.

1 person likes this.
  18. beyond

beyond Member

Here's a pic from a different angle:

[​IMG]

19. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Looks non-symmetrical to me. But as long as it doesn't bother you....

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I am seeing a lot of walnut shell AE. How do I get my hands on a pair? Call or email AE? I thought I saw a post a couple pages back that said walnut shell was no longer available. Any truth to that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.