1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have purchased grey cloud Park ave from 2 for $250 sale. I haven't received my pair. Do you think I will be bale to polish it navy ?

2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Most often Amazon will not pay for the return postage of AE Shoes. That is why I either try to buy from www.6pm.com or www.zappos.com or AE or call a manager at a Nordstroms Store - all of which will pay for return postage!

David
    [​IMG]
    "Working from home today on my laptop"

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

these are fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. David Copeland

That is a beautiful color. I would try and preserve that look by exploring all of the options from professionals.

5. David Copeland

Fine leathers in our dress are very much like fine woods in our home. Like leather, the look of wood does not need to be an exact match in order for it to present an overwhelming feel of quality workmanship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

They can't provide you a replacement due to it's been sold out during a sale, and they won't exchange with a different colour and style because it's not a like for like exchange and won't work on the stock system, so they will give you a full refund and you can buy another from anywhere including amazon again.

Why are you annoyed at amazon and what are you expecting?

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, then you probably never find a pair of AE that you would classify as perfectly new firsts.

2 people like this.
  8. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Member

I highly doubt that's true. Honestly, my biggest issue is with the stitching in the toe area. It looks sloppy.

9. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I think they're fine too.

I've noticed a lot of people are trying to look for perfection in their AE shoes. If that's the case, it might be time to move up (or even down) in the shoe price range.

I understand returning a pair for obvious defects, but not for tiny inconsistencies that no one else would ever see or notice.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not that attentive to my shoes. . . And I'm the happier for it.

1 person likes this.
  10. deburn

deburn Senior member

I purchased my first shell shoes today - I got a bit carried away and ordered 3 pairs, all seconds!! A black PA, brown Dundees and burgundy Leeds! I wear an 8.5D in my AE Weymouth and Dryden as well as C&J, so that's the size I ordered. Hopefully they'll all fit well, but if they don't that's fine too.

Couple of questions specific to shell cordovan:

- is there a recommended procedure prior to wearing new shell shoes, like there is with calf?

- how does the PA look in black shell cordovan compared to a black PA in calf? Is it going to look less dressy because it's made of shell?

BTW, the J'ville store was offering shell for 20% off their regular price of $449.00 ie $359.00. This is something they offered themselves, without me asking for it, so I'm guessing it's not related to the Tanger coupon mentioned earlier.

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

fair enough, I noticed the loose threads on the first photo, and had to go back and look a bit harder at the third photo. My main point is that if you look hard enough, you will always find imperfections.

12. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Looks fine to me for a mass produced shoe. This is Allen Edmonds we're talking about here, not Edward Green. If you want a perfect shoe, you're gonna need to double or triple your budget.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. delmar

delmar Senior member

The best way to fix that problem is to make the initial crossing of the laces the opposite way you're doing it now--left over right if you are accustomed to doing it right over left, or vice versa. Then make your loops and tighten in your normal way. It's the easiest fix.

1 person likes this.
  14. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

That's why I'm annoyed rather than pissed off, that and its no longer on sale so will cost more anywhere I go.

15. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Thanks...food for thought. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll try it.

16. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Unacceptable. This would not even be a question for me. It's more appalling to me that they passed QC, and were mailed to you at all. If that's not a 2nd or a 3rd, I don't know what is.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This is why I never buy AE from Amazon if I can get the shoes for the same price somewhere else.

18. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hey deburns, I thought you got them from Shoe Mart! Congrats, that's a lot of shell! I'll pass along what experts told me: follow the Mac method for both break in and maintenance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  19. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

They look pretty good to me... I can kind of see what you mean by the stitching in the 3rd pic, but can you honestly see that from eye level? I don't think anyone would fault you for returning them if you're not happy... but I would imagine that these 'defects' would be hard to notice from 3 feet away, let alone 6 feet. To each their own.

20. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Agreed. I would call the rep you worked with on your MTO and send them the pics. This is totally unacceptable. I hear they are out of Walnut Shell, so I would ask for a discount on these to pricing for a second quality. It would bug me every time I looked down at them seeing the medallion is not symmetrical. It would bug me even more knowing these are probably $700 boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.