Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Yep - Probably 75% of 5-lasted shoes I have ever ordered - including the Kenilworth - have had this issue. And almost all of said 75% have been returned. Most recently it was an otherwise wonderful pair of Jeffersons in Walnut Calf. It is confusing and troubling all at once. I have never had this issue with any other AE lasts.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

+1, I'm hoping someone from AE can get back to me before the sale is up. If I don't get a boot in the walnut I'm will probably order the chili Daltons.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

You are welcome.

In the interest of full disclosure, I actually probably prefer the walnut (shhh ... don't tell my Alden brethren).

And .... speaking of lighter brown shell colors, Carmina's "saddle" is sublime.

4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I asked if they would be put back up. This is the response:

Unfortunately not at this time. They did have some manufacturing problems with this, so they are going back to the work board on this shoe to try and fix the problem.

Does that mean my order is going to be cancelled?
    No they will be filling all the orders placed under special manufacturing to ensure they will not have a problem.

According to CS, next webgem is going to be released at the end of May.

5. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

I had asked the same question in my e-mail, and this is what I got;
    Dear Sir:

We apologize for any inconvenience. These shoes can no longer be ordered. If you have any further questions please call toll free 800.235.2348 and speak with one of our representatives.

Sincerely,
    (name omitted for privacy)

the e-mail I received seemed a little more final than yours, but I guess it's all the same.

6. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Hi. Can anyone comment on the fit of the RL Sanderson compared to a AE #5 last shoe? I've been informed by AE that it is built on the #3 last however I've seen posts stating it is on the #2 last. On the #3 last I size down (similar to #5) however for the #2 I am TTS. Looking for some advise, as I am not aware of any options where I live to try them on. Thanks.

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

... And here they are... Love that fast shipping!

Side note: not much paste wax to try to remove - maybe they are listening!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I found that it fits similarly, but is a tad bit narrower.

9. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Thanks! By your estimation, go with whatever size I am on a #5 last? I assume it is slightly narrower in the toe box area?

10. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

In the second place, it's good to hear about their light hand on the paste wax.

In the first place -- those look fantastic! I just pulled the trigger on some burgundy shell MacNeils; I wonder if Mr. Grangaard's offer might persist for another few months of ramen-and-PBJ diet so I can afford a pair of 14AAA walnut shell Patriots...

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

SunDevil,

Just go grab a pair of the Finch 2nds from the outlets. You'll end up with more $$$ for more shoes. I have a pair of and they're great replacements for that webgem

12. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Do you find it is something that eventually goes away? After the partial refund I ended up scoring these shoes for 100 bucks flat, and it would suck to let them go...

Maybe a thin insole could take care of it?

13. mb0893

mb0893 Active Member

Perhaps you guys can help me identify the problem and recommend a solution. I noticed some creasing around the heel of my Presidio's and can not understand why or how to fix it. It seems unnatural as opposed to regular creasing... I posted this in the shoe care thread but did not really get an answer, hoping you gents can help me out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Endeavor

Endeavor New Member

Anyone know of a "Harrisburg" model? A google search turned up nothing. They're a 5-eyed, rubber soled blucher with a plain cap-toe. Are these cemented shoes from the AE by Allen Edmonds line or are they from the mainline?

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Small nails called "clinch nails" are used to hold the heel together when the shoe isn't 360 degree welted. The heel is lasted snugly, and then the clinch nails are driven through the leather. When they hit a hard surface, such as the bottom of the last, or an inserted heel plate they bend sideways and provide a permanent grip. Next, a seat lift is nailed on to provide the first layer for building the heel (seat lift, then heel base, then a couple of layers of leather, followed by the top lift which contacts the ground).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.