• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
For overall design of a LWB, I prefer the MacNeil to the Larchmont or Williams. For me it's not even close.
Sevenfold, I have sided with you. I ordered the MacNeil in Walnut Cordovan with the Reverse Double Redenbach sole in brown. I already own one pair of Williams... Thank everyone for the input.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sevenfold, I have sided with you. I ordered the MacNeil in Walnut Cordovan with the Reverse Double Redenbach sole in brown. I already own one pair of Williams... Thank everyone for the input.

I emailed Paul today about walnut cordovan, hope I get a call before it's gone. Crossing fingers.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question, I know AE makes shoes that Lands End sells, but does anyone know who makes the LE brand name shoes?  Specifically the Fulton loafer.  It's $149 on the website right now but they are running a 40% off sale.  $90 for a pair of loafers that appear good year welted might be too good to pass up - even more so if they are made by AE under the private label.  I did read that they may be made by Samello in Brazil whom I have never heard of.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

Before I upgraded to AE Park Avenues, I owned a pair of LE 'Fulton Captoe Ofxfords' in black. I bought them around a year and a half ago when they were running a 40% off sale as they are now. For around 90 bucks, they were a pretty decent deal and the shoes served me well for several occasions. After acquiring my first two pairs of Allen Edmonds, however, the Lands' End shoes don't even compare. Don't buy the Fulton loafer expecting it to be on par with AE; they are absolutely NOT "made by AE under the private label." If you're okay with that, then $90 for the LE shoes isn't a bad deal. You'll probably be much happier in the long-run with Allen Edmonds, though. In hindsight, I wish I'd just passed on the Fulton Oxford and went straight for the Park Aves for my requisite pair of black captoes.

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw pics of the walnut shell with sole in brown. Not quite my cup of tea. I'm just not feeling the brown sole.

Last edited:

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
A quick iphone pic of my custom Walnut Shell Macneil's.

I stumbled across this pic of some custom Walnut Shell MacNeils. I am so happy I decided on these, and after seeing this pic, I can't wait for them to come. Special thanks to Mr. Paul Grangaard for offering a deal for us SF members.

Bzack

Reaction score
The LE branded shoes are made in Brazil, I think. It's been that way for years - Brazil has a history of good, albeit cheaper construction shoes. I don't know if this is still the case, but Payless Shoes used to source from Brazil, too. Definitely not AE. You can safely assume from the price which are the AE shoes.

Before I upgraded to AE Park Avenues, I owned a pair of LE 'Fulton Captoe Ofxfords' in black. I bought them around a year and a half ago when they were running a 40% off sale as they are now. For around 90 bucks, they were a pretty decent deal and the shoes served me well for several occasions. After acquiring my first two pairs of Allen Edmonds, however, the Lands' End shoes don't even compare. Don't buy the Fulton loafer expecting it to be on par with AE; they are absolutely NOT "made by AE under the private label." If you're okay with that, then $90 for the LE shoes isn't a bad deal. You'll probably be much happier in the long-run with Allen Edmonds, though. In hindsight, I wish I'd just passed on the Fulton Oxford and went straight for the Park Aves for my requisite pair of black captoes.
Thanks for the input. I currently own 3 pair of AE dress shoes and 1 pair of AE boots. I think you both make valid points. You get what you pay for and it's hard to go backwards after purchasing quality shoes. I know that if I want a pair of loafers that will last longer there is more value in spending a few extra dollars for something that will last a possible 3-5 years longer and can be resoled/recrafted.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
GOP, can inquire what the bill was on the walnut shell?
$595, and they waived the $125 custom fee. So not a bad deal. Not a cheap shoe, but if it is one you want, it is worth it.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$595, and they waived the $125 custom fee. So not a bad deal. Not a cheap shoe, but if it is one you want, it is worth it.

I'm hoping to get either te Dalton or bayfield in the walnut shell so imagine is may be slightly more but I wouldn't mind the bill one bit.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a difference if at all between Alden s whiskey and AE walnut?

AZsundevil

Reaction score
That was definietly sooner than normal, I wonder if they took it down early?

It looks like the whole webgem section is gone. Maybe a glitch? Good thing I already ordered my orange ones!

Alas, the saddle shoe Webgem is gone and any record of the shoe on AE's website has been completely removed! I was certain that orders were open until the end of May, but perhaps it was really April? You snooze, you lose... Bummer, I really liked that shoe too.

So if anybody was interested in this comment thread, I got a response back from AE customer service. The shoes are gone. Let this be a lesson: If you see a Webgem that you like, BUY IT, because AE can and will pull them at their discretion.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Always a good decision. :fistbump: But in all seriousness, any of the models you mentioned would have looked nice.

I am considering a walnut shell Leeds. I have PM'd the CEO and await his reply
. :D

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So if anybody was interested in this comment thread, I got a response back from AE customer service. The shoes are gone. Let this be a lesson: If you see a Webgem that you like, BUY IT, because AE can and will pull them at their discretion.

This is good advice. And, beyond webgems, it ceratinly applies to hard-to-find shell models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads