• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree on all points. And I saw those Tricker's too when they were posted and almost sent an email for a quote as soon as I did. Most people that regularly post here also post in other shoe threads so it shouldn't bother anyone IMO, I like AE but there are other options for the gaps they don't fill. A regular poster on here sent me a PM last month because he knows my shoe size and saw a great deal on a pair of C&J shell wingtips which I did score. The CEO of AE says that he doesn't see Alden as competition for AE so I don't feel we should either, or similar smaller companies. Paul knows the numbers and what sells to keep the lights on at the AE factory so I trust his judgment, including the new releases even if they don't float my boat. 

Those Tricker's are sweet, and Alden has more than a few that are also. In my opinion I would make sure you purchase the boot with the features that you really want, and know that you will get the most use out of. It should make you feel good while wearing them and of course fit well too.

Funny, we think alike! I almost immediately sent Richard an email, then I stopped myself. Now I have a number of ideas that I am going to email him about to ask for his help in narrowing things down - after I fully get used to the idea of how much money I'll spend! Those Tricker's scream for a group MTO; but I don't think I'm ready to deal with the logistics of that.

Excellent point about Paul at AE, too. Of course he knows what sells, and their churning out all these styles that some of us criticize must be based on them selling. I look at J&M as the example. Years ago they really were the Great American Shoe company, at least in my book (I'm pretty sure every president before Reagan - or including him - wore J&M's). And I specifically remember being in a shop when a salesperson told me they had a new CEO who had a marketing background and had all these great ideas. Since then, they have dramatically expanded their line, lowered their quality, and changed their styles. They are also part of a larger conglomerate now. But obviously it must be working. Maybe we should be thankful that AE is keeping its quality and heritage with mainline shoes while dipping into this fashion pool, instead of abandoning those great products altogether, like J&M has mostly done.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fifth Avenue Boots

I just received the 5th Ave short dress boots from AE. It's made on the same last as my walnut Strands, so the fit around the foot feels great to me. While I love the quality and the look of the boots but man, the first wearing hurt like heck because the tongue and the tops of the boots dig into my shins.

For those with these or similar boots, do you have any tips to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

I don't have the Fifth Street (I'm assuming you mean 5th St as I think the 5th Ave is a shoe not boot) boot but I have recently had that exact problem with a pair of burgundy shell Dalton boots. The edges at the top of the quarters and the tongue were killing me. I knew they'd soften up with wear but I didn't want to put up with the pain. So I spent some time massaging the edges of the quarters and the top of the tongue --- just folding them back and forth to soften the leather. And it worked, the boots are now comfortable and cause no pain.

Side effects? Well, the Daltons have a strip of leather along the edge so it was only that strip that I folded back and forth. I certainly didn't want to fold down the whole boot (especially on shell) and also, it was the hard edge that I was trying to address. The edge lightened up a bit in color showing more eggplant color and did look a little more "worn", but not bad in my opinion. I touched it up with Reno and it was good to go.

I notice on the Fifth Street boot that there is no similar strip of leather at the top of the quarters. But you're dealing with calf so I think any creasing at the edge will not be bad. You can give it a try if you don't mind seeing some creasing at the top. Depends on your tolerance for pain!

jjr4884

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. I'll use them for upcoming interviews to work as a civil engineer and for my graduation. I don't know what's the dress code in the industry but I guess it's more business casual that formal. I just want to know the best color that'll suit these situations? I definitely won't go black. Is there any "MVP" color? Thank you!

Well the park ave (as well as the strand, mcallister, etc) are pretty versatile in terms of formal to casual wear. I guess its your preference. Walnut is great, however it isn't one of those every day shoes to wear. A darker brown, or a merlot color, is probably your best bet. They go well with pretty much any color dress pants except black, respectively. At some point down the line, you will want to invest in several pairs of shoes. You don't want to be wearing the same ones every day, primarily becuase the shoe will wear out much quicker, and also, who wants to wear the same pair every single day.

Walnut, merlot, and two shades of brown is a great start to a nice collection that can be rotated easily. In colors from lightest to darkest, this is what I have, and it works out great for me.

Strand - walnut
CH leather chukkas - about a shade darker than walnut (good for snow days)
Strand - bourbon
Cole Hann wingtips - medium brown, about a shade darker than the bourbons
Strand - cordovan brown
McAllister - merlot
Neumora - burnished brown
Magnanni Mateo - black

I go to the browns more than anything else, and the McAllisters are probably my number 1 shoe right now, love it... but i'm cutting back because i don't want them to wear too quickly.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the Brooks Brothers Strand and Pak Avenue are on sale for $129 at AE factory stores. That's a hell of a deal.

I ordered a pair in black. It's hard to beat $129! I wonder if they have the rubber sole or not? Clearly not a deal breaker either way.

habaryu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I get that Park Avenue don't work well in business casual. What about the Fifth Avenue in walnut? Will it be better? I like the simple design they have.

Edit: Added color

Last edited:

kuslamb

Reaction score
@cbtaylor - neumora's look really nice, so do the pants...

How do you find the neumoras fits relative to your other AE's?

cbtaylor

Reaction score
hell of a deal, how'd that come about?? very nice in bourbon

Another member posted about it, various samples in 9D for $80 at the local outlet.

Thanks, pants are Lands End Canvas. I got the same size as my Strand, and they are slightly more roomy. But not significant in my opinion

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I get that Park Avenue don't work well in business casual. What about the Fifth Avenue in walnut? Will it be better? I like the simple design they have.

I like the 5th Ave in dark brown, but walnut would look good too. I prefer something like the Strand in walnut. Since you like the simple design, how about the Delray in chili? It is a split-toe design with no brogueing.

jjr4884

Reaction score

Park ave will be fine with business casual, however if you mean business casual with khakis/chinos.. maybe not. Business casual to me is dress pants, button down, tucked in, no tie. Park aves will look great with that, and personally, i like them better than the 5th ave. The brogued cap on the 5th is pushed forward way to much, and even through the park is similar, it looks better since it is just stitched rather than brogued.

If you are looking for a shoe that goes better with chino's, look at leeds or something a little less sleek and/or brogued. If you are wearing actual dress pants, park aves will work all day long.

I can fit into a 10D or a 9.5D perfectly happy in any 5 last, however I am going with 10D's going forward because the vamp crease is centered, where as the crease in the 9.5D's are almost at the cap brogue. With that being said, half sized down to a 9.5D for the 333 last, and they fit just like the 5 last in a 10D. Crease is on point as well.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Park ave will be fine with business casual, however if you mean business casual with khakis/chinos.. maybe not. Business casual to me is dress pants, button down, tucked in, no tie. Park aves will look great with that, and personally, i like them better than the 5th ave. The brogued cap on the 5th is pushed forward way to much, and even through the park is similar, it looks better since it is just stitched rather than brogued.

I have Park Avenues, and I've never worn them with anything that did not involve a jacket and tie. They are a very conservative balmoral captoe that looks off with business casual. Assuming OP already has a black captoe for his interviews, he would be better served getting something more versatile, like the Delray/LaSalle, Kenilworth or one of the newer 3 last wingtips/plain toe blucher.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To follow-up on my last post, the AE outlets have a sale on seconds starting February 4th, that includes walnut or brown Parkways for $149 and black or chili Delrays for the same price. I don't know the price, but I like the Regent Street the more I see it as well.

N8ter

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the Brooks Brothers Strand and Pak Avenue are on sale for $129 at AE factory stores. That's a hell of a deal.
Awesome, thank you for the notice adsmith! I ran out at lunch and picked up a pair of walnut strands for $130. Second AE shoe in the collection to go with my black parkway. My original plan was to wait until the annual tent sale or Nordstrom's anniversary sale to pick up a pair of strands in bourbon, but I guess I will "live" with the walnut for $130. Couple of very minor flaws on left shoe, can't really detect anything on right. Very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads