1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior Member

I'm 24 and finishing up that stage of my life where I can call myself a student (and I hope to come out of it enjoying the pleasures of an advanced degree).

Since most all of my wear could fall in the casual category with a few more formal engagements, which usually lead to a change in laces, I can confidently say that I have yet to feel like a try-hard. I think it comes down, mainly, to the rest of your wardrobe and your mannerisms. So far, people have been rather complimentary, and it catches their eyes in what seems to be a positive manner. It depends on your geographic region, setting, overall wardrobe, and definitely your attitude.

It's not for everyone, and it might not play in more formal arenas, but when not done in a sloppy manner, it seems to play in my milieu.

2. Odradek

Odradek Senior Member

Given that flatter toe in the Neumok, do you think it necessary to go up half a size in length? I'm a long, long way from any AE store to try them on. In Europe. Have AE Quinton in a 8D and great on length, but slightly too narrow. I'd guess I'm an 8E.

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

I picked up a pair of Fifth Avenue boots about a month ago, and had the same experience the first wear. I really only noticed it when going up and down stairs. They really dug into my shins. I own about 20 pairs of shoes, and after adding them to my rotation, I have probably worn them 4-5 times. I did notice the last wear that they are not bothering me as much as the first wear. I do think they will get better for you over time; I think this midsize boot was flawed in design because of this effect (Also, it would have looked better if it'd been a bit taller like the Dalton). I have a pair of Daltons and didn't have any problem like this.

4. Odinloki

Odinloki Member

*edit: duplicate posting

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

5. Odinloki

Odinloki Member

Good to know, thanks!

Maybe if AE made the tongue a little longer, it wouldn't end up digging into shins. I have hiking boots that are designed with tongues that are longer than the sides and it works pretty well.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

That sounds scary. Wouldn't that create awful creases in the shaft of the boot?

7. jimney

jimney Senior Member

I work for a technology company (web site), and I have colored laces in my Elgins. Colored laces will not make it look like you are trying too hard by themselves, depending on who you are and how you normally dress.

8. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior Member

Walnut Players today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

If the 2-last fit me, I'd probably own every color and leather Player's that they make. What a great looking shoe.

10. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

For interviews you will want black or dark brown. Personally I don't feel that the PA fits a business casual wardrobe, regardless of color.

11. Badandy

Badandy Senior Member

The PA is a dress shoe and doesn't work too well for business casual, but will work great for interviews and graduation...in black.

12. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

I was really exited to see this as I have been wanting to add some strands to my rotation in brown, but I was thinking bourbon or burnished brown to give me more versatility to them (able to dress up or down easier). I did a quick google search for BB strands and the only strand option I see is a walnut with light stitching and natural sole. No matter anyway, as they don't have any in my size (10D). They do have 5th Aves in brown or walnut I am considering since $129 is a such great deal , but I really have my heart set on the Strand or McAllister. The Shoe Bank said stock is going very fast as a heads up.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Agree on all points. And I saw those Tricker's too when they were posted and almost sent an email for a quote as soon as I did. Most people that regularly post here also post in other shoe threads so it shouldn't bother anyone IMO, I like AE but there are other options for the gaps they don't fill. A regular poster on here sent me a PM last month because he knows my shoe size and saw a great deal on a pair of C&J shell wingtips which I did score. The CEO of AE says that he doesn't see Alden as competition for AE so I don't feel we should either, or similar smaller companies. Paul knows the numbers and what sells to keep the lights on at the AE factory so I trust his judgment, including the new releases even if they don't float my boat.

Those Tricker's are sweet, and Alden has more than a few that are also. In my opinion I would make sure you purchase the boot with the features that you really want, and know that you will get the most use out of. It should make you feel good while wearing them and of course fit well too.

The Bayfield is still available from Lands End but only in CXL and only in D width. I have the Bayfield in both CXL and black calf. I wore the black Bayfields yesterday because of nasty weather and they play an important role in my foul weather rotation. If they offered any other options I'd purchase them in a heart beat, agree I have no idea why they discontinued them but can say that about several shoes too.

[​IMG]

Congrats and they look great!

Given the options that you listed I also would vote for the merlot McAllister as your next shoe, you have a nice collection going.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

I never had an issue with this, maybe it is because I don't lave them through the top hole though.

I think you'll need to determine how dressy you want to wear this shoe. If more on the casual side I would go with the Bourbon, but if more on the dressy side I would go with something in burgundy or dark brown.

15. mp906

mp906 Senior Member

^ Agree 100%

I am looking for a standard cap-toe boot, and AE doesnt offer one. The Fift Ave. is close, but is a little low on the ankle and I dont' want to toe bling.

I really want the Alden Jumper, but for less $ and from AE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.