• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSizzle

Reaction score

I am asking out of curiosity not trying to be an ass.

If you wear these shoes to work, what field do you work in that its okay to have colored laces? Most of the guys I know in accounting/finance/consulting/law/medicine dont ever wear colored laces and have mainly black shoes. maybe because they cant dress or maybe because thats the office norm. Someone enlighten me please.

Will it look like I'm trying too hard if I put colored laces on my shoes when I go out casually? (I'm 22)

I'm 24 and finishing up that stage of my life where I can call myself a student (and I hope to come out of it enjoying the pleasures of an advanced degree).

Since most all of my wear could fall in the casual category with a few more formal engagements, which usually lead to a change in laces, I can confidently say that I have yet to feel like a try-hard. I think it comes down, mainly, to the rest of your wardrobe and your mannerisms. So far, people have been rather complimentary, and it catches their eyes in what seems to be a positive manner. It depends on your geographic region, setting, overall wardrobe, and definitely your attitude.

It's not for everyone, and it might not play in more formal arenas, but when not done in a sloppy manner, it seems to play in my milieu.

Odradek

Reaction score

I guess it could have something to do with lining, but i think there's not enough leather to even allow it to rise that much. Here are a couple real-life images to show that, even stretched over a shoe tree, the toe will lay quite a bit flatter (and the reverse welt makes it look even lower). I still like it, but I like the taller toe of the McAllister and McTavish more.
Given that flatter toe in the Neumok, do you think it necessary to go up half a size in length? I'm a long, long way from any AE store to try them on. In Europe. Have AE Quinton in a 8D and great on length, but slightly too narrow. I'd guess I'm an 8E.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Fifth Avenue Boots

I just received the 5th Ave short dress boots from AE. It's made on the same last as my walnut Strands, so the fit around the foot feels great to me. While I love the quality and the look of the boots but man, the first wearing hurt like heck because the tongue and the tops of the boots dig into my shins.

For those with these or similar boots, do you have any tips to prevent this from happening? Thanks!
I picked up a pair of Fifth Avenue boots about a month ago, and had the same experience the first wear. I really only noticed it when going up and down stairs. They really dug into my shins. I own about 20 pairs of shoes, and after adding them to my rotation, I have probably worn them 4-5 times. I did notice the last wear that they are not bothering me as much as the first wear. I do think they will get better for you over time; I think this midsize boot was flawed in design because of this effect (Also, it would have looked better if it'd been a bit taller like the Dalton). I have a pair of Daltons and didn't have any problem like this.

Odinloki

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Fifth Avenue boots about a month ago, and had the same experience the first wear. I really only noticed it when going up and down stairs. They really dug into my shins. I own about 20 pairs of shoes, and after adding them to my rotation, I have probably worn them 4-5 times. I did notice the last wear that they are not bothering me as much as the first wear. I do think they will get better for you over time; I think this midsize boot was flawed in design because of this effect (Also, it would have looked better if it'd been a bit taller like the Dalton). I have a pair of Daltons and didn't have any problem like this.
Good to know, thanks!

Maybe if AE made the tongue a little longer, it wouldn't end up digging into shins. I have hiking boots that are designed with tongues that are longer than the sides and it works pretty well.

jimney

Reaction score
I am asking out of curiosity not trying to be an ass.

If you wear these shoes to work, what field do you work in that its okay to have colored laces? Most of the guys I know in accounting/finance/consulting/law/medicine dont ever wear colored laces and have mainly black shoes. maybe because they cant dress or maybe because thats the office norm. Someone enlighten me please.

Will it look like I'm trying too hard if I put colored laces on my shoes when I go out casually? (I'm 22)
I work for a technology company (web site), and I have colored laces in my Elgins. Colored laces will not make it look like you are trying too hard by themselves, depending on who you are and how you normally dress.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Walnut Players today.

Last edited:

ckprax

Reaction score

I'm planning to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. I'll use them for upcoming interviews to work as a civil engineer and for my graduation. I don't know what's the dress code in the industry but I guess it's more business casual that formal. I just want to know the best color that'll suit these situations? I definitely won't go black. Is there any "MVP" color? Thank you!

For interviews you will want black or dark brown. Personally I don't feel that the PA fits a business casual wardrobe, regardless of color.

Badandy

Reaction score

I'm planning to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. I'll use them for upcoming interviews to work as a civil engineer and for my graduation. I don't know what's the dress code in the industry but I guess it's more business casual that formal. I just want to know the best color that'll suit these situations? I definitely won't go black. Is there any "MVP" color? Thank you!

The PA is a dress shoe and doesn't work too well for business casual, but will work great for interviews and graduation...in black.

N8ter

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the Brooks Brothers Strand and Pak Avenue are on sale for $129 at AE factory stores. That's a hell of a deal.
I was really exited to see this as I have been wanting to add some strands to my rotation in brown, but I was thinking bourbon or burnished brown to give me more versatility to them (able to dress up or down easier). I did a quick google search for BB strands and the only strand option I see is a walnut with light stitching and natural sole. No matter anyway, as they don't have any in my size (10D). They do have 5th Aves in brown or walnut I am considering since $129 is a such great deal , but I really have my heart set on the Strand or McAllister. The Shoe Bank said stock is going very fast as a heads up.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm not looking for a dress boot - have Dainite for that - but do want something more stylish than the insulated nylon/leather deals. Long Branch sounds like it might be good. I do agree about wingtips. Would be nice if they had a captoe - something like the Eagle County with a commando sole and regular black/brown/burgundy leather (yet another example of their getting fancy, but not offering what I want...)

There's an incredible burgundy captoe boot on a commando sole in the Tricker's thread that someone had made custom. Here's the post in a spoiler, so as to not to muddy up the AE thread. These got me thinking - but I'm sure they were at least twice the price of an AE boot. I would love to see AE do something like this, and I think they easily could. But maybe Long Branch is the call for me at the moment..

I completely agree. I can see the place for the Vibram sole on a shop floor or something similar, where the floor is flat and dry and comfort is paramount. But as a fashion, just not my taste.

But why couldn't AE do a boot like that Tricker's? They have burgundy and black leather. They make captoe shoes and have shown that they can vary the captoe. They have the welts and the soles. They make boots. Do they think that wouldn't sell here? They could make a terrific boot and probably even have an iconic product to last years, like the Park Avenue and the MacNeil. I mean, they make boots for Wolverine! What's the problem here?

I'd love to see a good, sturdy, captoe boot in simple leather for snow and such. And I would also love to see a captoe version of the Dalton - that in shell cordovan would be unreal. They have the capability, just not the will.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to save money and go for the Long Branch, or suck it up for a real classic like those Tricker's.
Agree on all points. And I saw those Tricker's too when they were posted and almost sent an email for a quote as soon as I did. Most people that regularly post here also post in other shoe threads so it shouldn't bother anyone IMO, I like AE but there are other options for the gaps they don't fill. A regular poster on here sent me a PM last month because he knows my shoe size and saw a great deal on a pair of C&J shell wingtips which I did score. The CEO of AE says that he doesn't see Alden as competition for AE so I don't feel we should either, or similar smaller companies. Paul knows the numbers and what sells to keep the lights on at the AE factory so I trust his judgment, including the new releases even if they don't float my boat.

Those Tricker's are sweet, and Alden has more than a few that are also. In my opinion I would make sure you purchase the boot with the features that you really want, and know that you will get the most use out of. It should make you feel good while wearing them and of course fit well too.

I don't know about you guys but I haven't really been impressed with their desire to branch out. They released a boot this season that looks horrendous in my opinion. They shouldn't have discontinued the Bayfield IMO. The boot i am referring to has a boat shoe-esque sole.

The Bayfield is still available from Lands End but only in CXL and only in D width. I have the Bayfield in both CXL and black calf. I wore the black Bayfields yesterday because of nasty weather and they play an important role in my foul weather rotation. If they offered any other options I'd purchase them in a heart beat, agree I have no idea why they discontinued them but can say that about several shoes too.

First pair of AE's, and I'm already in love with them. Regent Street that were on clearance at the AE store in North Atlanta. Already saving up for some Daltons. Now I see why you guys love them so much.

Congrats and they look great!

Gracias much. How does the brown burnished calf compare?

It sounds like I can't really go wrong with the merlot McAl. If something doesn't change my mind I'll probably bite the bullet in the next few days.

Given the options that you listed I also would vote for the merlot McAllister as your next shoe, you have a nice collection going.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fifth Avenue Boots

I just received the 5th Ave short dress boots from AE. It's made on the same last as my walnut Strands, so the fit around the foot feels great to me. While I love the quality and the look of the boots but man, the first wearing hurt like heck because the tongue and the tops of the boots dig into my shins.

For those with these or similar boots, do you have any tips to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

I never had an issue with this, maybe it is because I don't lave them through the top hole though.

Need some recommendations for my next shoe. I have the black Fifth Ave and the walnut Strand, but am stumped on my next shoe. I think I want either a merlot or dark brown shoe as my next one, with maybe a medium brown after that, but I'm not really sure. My list of potential candidates:

Larchmont in dark chocolate
Larchmont in bourbon (the darkened toe looks awesome but overall may not be dark enough to fit between the black and walnut?)
McAllister in merlot
Rutledge in brown burnished

I like the Rutledge the best, but the problem is I'm not ready to spend that much on a pair yet. Ideas? I have a variety of pants fabrics and colours.

I think you'll need to determine how dressy you want to wear this shoe. If more on the casual side I would go with the Bourbon, but if more on the dressy side I would go with something in burgundy or dark brown.

mp906

Reaction score
^ Agree 100%

I am looking for a standard cap-toe boot, and AE doesnt offer one. The Fift Ave. is close, but is a little low on the ankle and I dont' want to toe bling.

I really want the Alden Jumper, but for less $ and from AE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads