1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Now that the anniversary sale is over (almost!). Any intel on the next one?

2. Veridis

Veridis Well-Known Member

More photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems that the box has a different Allen Edmonds logo, probably an older one.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that.

EDIT:

I have contacted Amazon again and accepted a partial refund. The sale is over and I cannot rationalize paying about $200 more for the same shoe on the AE website. Amazon said that they would normally do an exchange, but they have no stock on hand right now.

I guess all I can do now is to enjoy the shoes! At least I don't see any structural problems with it. Going to stuff a pair of shoe trees in them and hope it gets into better shape.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

Just got my chocolate Dalton's in and wow they are awesome! I have 11.5d Jeffersons on the 5 last, and they are just a smidge snug. I called AE and told them my sizes in different lasts ad they suggested the 12d and they are spot on perfect. Most comfortable out of the box. I'll get some comparisons in the light hopefully tomorrow. I'll put them against my brown AE Hinsdale loafer and my brown burnished Jefferson for comparisons.

1 person likes this.
  4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Anyone try a Microfiber Cloth as opposed to a regular cotton t-shirt or official AE or Alden Polishing Cloth?

I read that the Microfiber Cloth performs different.

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Some years ago I swung by the DC store to order some 14AA Wilberts. I was frankly kind of surprised when the salesman pulled a pair of 14AA Park Avenues out of the back just to make sure we were in the right ballpark -- I didn't expect them to have a size like that hanging out in the shop. I agree with the above... it's unlikely they'll have the exact shoe you want in the size you need.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Call a couple weeks in advance a s let them know what you are looking for. That way, if they have any in some warehouse, they will be able to get it in time for your trip. I have done this with success for some hard-to-find shoes.

1 person likes this.
  7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

By the way, those patriots fit me like house slippers. Amazingly comfortable. Slightly tight across the vamp, but just enough to keep my heel from slipping. Great shoes. I went tts to my bannock size.

8. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

David, I use microfiber cloth. I picked them up at amazon.com after suggestion from other member.
    Much easier to get high shine.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Please don't take offense, but I feel I need to ask: Are you somehow affiliated with Saphir or The Hanger Project? In the last week you've extolled Saphir 13 times in this thread alone. For the record, I like their products as well.

10. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

It's called the "Black Hole" sale. All your money is sucked out of your wallet with no chance of return. Oh wait, this is every day...

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I started with the AE Park Avenue myself. I tried over a half dozen sizes before settling on the 11.5B. What I discovered is that the actual length and width between adjacent sizes (10.5D to 11C to 11.5B) is actually rather small. What changes more dramatically is the volume or girth of the shoe. I also discovered that concerns about shoes that are too "long" are exaggerated. The 5 last is long and narrow. In terms of length, the toe box is tapered such that the space up front is not very useful. Hence, you may find yourself with more space in front of your toes than another last that is more rounded (such as the 1 last). This extra space should not be cause for concern. It's just an artifact resulting from the shape and design of the shoe. Initially the shoe should be a little snug but not tight. If the shoe compresses your toes and causes any pain, then it is too small. With wear, the shoe will loosen a little bit but not too much. If your right foot is larger, then you may benefit from ordering a different size shoe for each foot. AE will happily do this for a nominal charge, and I assure you it's worth it to get a proper fit.

12. David Copeland

Happy to hear you are also a fan . . . but no, I am in no manner affiliated with any of the items I have posted about on this forum (suits, polish, shoes, etc). You probably will see that I have posted more about Allen Edmonds shoes, and I was privileged to speak with the CEO - Paul last week - but only as a customer since 1998.

I like the AE shoe polishes - I used them for over 15 years - until I read an Esquire Magazine article where they compared the leading polishes throughout the world. I am also in a licensed profession which requires fact-finding - which many times can lead to erroneous opinion-findings. It is my nature to check things out that deeply interest me - such as being a good steward in maintaining or adding to the quality items already own. When something gets my attention, I dive into the core of the facts. Sometimes I get it wrong and have to employ other means to get it right. But once I am sold on the merits of a service or product - I am seldom a silent voice when others are reaching out for direction.

I chose to call Hangerproject before I purchased. And after my first nominal purchase - I was very satisfied with the results and then called the owner to inquire of more products for my wife's leather goods as well as distressed items that I have.

I did the same thing with AE recently - because I had not used their recrafting for sometime. What I "know" - I will share . . . but only as a true customer.

Thanks for asking - and if you find yourself in Western Montana, look me up!

David

[​IMG]
    (Looking forward to Spring-Summer with Allen Edmonds Boots!)

13. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

thinking about polishing up my merlot mcallisters. would this work?

leather cleaner
    burgundy cream polish
    neutral wax polish

thanks

14. David Copeland

Could you tell me what phrase to search for at Amazon - or what brand? There are 73,000 results - and I want to make sure I get the right product.

Thanks.

15. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

My experience is that they often have many styles in larger sizes in-store...I wasnt even planning on buying my blue neumoks in 15 the day I went in...but the sales associate said hold on, let me go check to see if we have one in the back, and sure enough, she came back out with a pair. They fit like a glove and so I bought them right there on the spot. Just my two cents.

16. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

I would call ahead and ask what styles they actually have. I made a 45 minute(one way) trip to the closest Nordstroms and they only had eight total styles and two of them were loafers. It was a very disappointing trip for me as they didn't have any of the orthotic line and Park Avenues would never fit me. Driving all the way to Spokane just to have a really limited selection to try on would be very disappointing. I've made the Spokane -> Great Falls trip a number of times and couldn't imagine doing it just to try on shoes.

17. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Why? Allen Edmunds sells new shoes to Amazon for resale. It's obvious that Amazon took these back from a customer yet they sold them to you used. It is Amazon's responsibility to replace them, not AE's. You paid Amazon for new shoes, how can you expect Allen Edmonds to take used shoes and send you new shoes? That will end up with AE putting out two pairs, but only getting paid once, by Amazon. Since Amazon is the "legitimate source", it is their duty to make it right.

What I would suggest is call Amazon back and ask for a supervisor, then demand that they perform as per the contract. You ordered and paid for new shoes and new shoes is what Amazon is required to send you. There isn't any fine print on Amazon that says its ok to substitute used items when you buy new. Amazon even sells used items for many item categories, but they are listed as such. They can't legally just switch used for new when they feel like it. That's false advertising.

Also, out of nine pairs of AE shoes, I haven't received any with "plastic sticks", they have all come in felt bags, stufft with black paper.

1 person likes this.
  18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

If the bowing is large enough that they consider the shoe defective they likely would still exchange it for you. Only way to know for sure is to call CS and they would have you send them in to check them. If it doesn't bother you as is then I wouldn't worry about it, some people are fine with bowing but for others it is distracting enough that it is difficult to live with.

Hard to beat AE edge dressing, most of us will tell you there is nothing better. I've never had it flake before. After you apply it make sure you take a rag and wipe off any excess. You may have gotten a bad bottle although I have never heard of that I'm sure it could happen, I would try another bottle.
    I would skip the neutral wax polish personally. You shouldn't need it if your using burgundy polish already.
    "amazonbasics microfiber cleaning cloth" and change the quality to the 48 pack for $28 and you get free shipping. And yes they are great for shoe care.

19. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I would be uncomfortable going to a store and trying on all their shoes with no intentions to buy. I'd be wasting a sales person's time that they could potentially be using to actually sell shoes and make money. I'm fortunate to have an actual AE store about 30 minutes from me and i've been in there and developed a relationship with the manager. I've bought shoes from him and the other day when I was thinking about order the patriots as seconds I first went to him and while no one was in the store (they had just opened) I told him about the seconds sale and asked if he would allow me to try on a pair to ensure proper fit. Of course he had no problem doing this because i'm a loyal customer and even that day I walked out with shoe trees and suede waterproofer. I think that is different than going into a store with a notebook with the sole intentions of "finding my size" so I can buy online and not buying anything from the physical store. I think this is especially true at a store like Nordstroms. Just my $0.02

20. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.