• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Guys, so I have made up my mind. My next shoe during the sale will be a wingtip: Amsterdam in bourbon or Jefferson in brown. Anyone have pictures in the wild of the Jefferson? From everything I have read, this is a shoe to die for.

The bourbon Amsterdam may never be available again - they were a special Urban Daddy release. And the current Fall supplement catalog does not show the McAllister in bourbon which is the same shoe as the Amsterdam. Your closest option would be the Larchmont in bourbon.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The bourbon Amsterdam may never be available again - they were a special Urban Daddy release.  And the current Fall supplement catalog does not show the McAllister in bourbon which is the same shoe as the Amsterdam.  Your closest option would be the Larchmont in bourbon.

Someone told me they were able to get the Amsterdam from the shoe bank.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
I am curious...with all the talk of the new 3 last...how does it fit compared to some others. People say it is just as long as the 5 last, if not a big longer? How about width. I know the general 5 last rule is down 1/2 size and up width 1...would the 3 last just be size down 1/2 keep width constant?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think there are different schools of thought. Some people would rather just pay to have someone else do it for them and save the effort.

On the other hand, there's the belief that if you want to know that it's done to the standards you expect, you do it yourself.

Personally, I polish my own shoes. After the up-front investment in some good polishes, conditioners, and brushes, it really isn't that big a deal; maybe an hour or so every month, depending on how dirty my shoes are. Unless you are polishing every shoe you own on a weekly basis (in which case you need professional help :D ), taking care of your own shoes shouldn't be that big of a deal. Some people actually find it enjoyable.  

True statement.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never used Reno, but I'm intrigued by your results; I've used Jos A. Banks cheapo shoe cream, Lexol, SnoSeal, and Kiwi before.

Excited to see how your brown Bayfields look cleaned up and glad you're liking the CXL more.

The black ones look great, too.

Uh Oh, sorry my bad! But I was very pleased with the use of Reno on the CXL no matter who mentioned it. If I didn't want them waterproofed I would have stopped there.

Ready for the saddle soap.

With the other 3 boots I did at the same time. Bayfiled, Meindal Perfekt Hiker, Meindal Perfekt Hunter, Russell Moccasin Grand Slam Sheep Hunters.

After a good cleaning with saddle soap and 2 days of drying. The Bayfields dried so fast compared to the others I applied Reno on them the next day after cleaning. They would work just fine for most use IMO right at this step. and have a good sheen to them.

Finished Bayfield with HDLP applied over the Reno. I could rub them out a bit more by hand but will leave them as is. They have a year or so of hard use on them and I love how they fit:

Did I ever mention that I really like HDLP?

I've used a lot of leather waterproofing products over the years but when I was measured for the Russell Moccasin boots 7 years ago the salesman told me I HAD to use HDLP. Russell has a good page on leather care http://www.russellmoccasin.com/leather_care.html When I purchased my first pair of Meindal's the salesman also insisted that I use HDLP. For good reason.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
taking my neumoks out for the first time today. these are my first foray into what i consider the new AE. 5-6 years ago when i first started buying AE's, their conservative shoes (park ave, delray etc) were good, but all of their attempts at casual shoes (other than the mora, of course) were just sad, in a pleated dockers kind of way. in the last year or so, with the bayfield, _moks, daltons, etc, i've come back around to AE. here they are:

eKUbj.jpg

these shoes look just awful on the website, and even on the rack, but as soon as you put them on it just clicks.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am curious...with all the talk of the new 3 last...how does it fit compared to some others. People say it is just as long as the 5 last, if not a big longer? How about width. I know the general 5 last rule is down 1/2 size and up width 1...would the 3 last just be size down 1/2 keep width constant?

They are wider than the five last for sure. I am a EEE in the 5 last, but a E in the 333.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think there are different schools of thought. Some people would rather just pay to have someone else do it for them and save the effort.

On the other hand, there's the belief that if you want to know that it's done to the standards you expect, you do it yourself.

Personally, I polish my own shoes. After the up-front investment in some good polishes, conditioners, and brushes, it really isn't that big a deal; maybe an hour or so every month, depending on how dirty my shoes are. Unless you are polishing every shoe you own on a weekly basis (in which case you need professional help :D ), taking care of your own shoes shouldn't be that big of a deal. Some people actually find it enjoyable.  

What are some good products for shoe cleaning but not expensive?

Thanks,

Berob

Reaction score
Got an email saying the AE Bayfield could be had 40% off at Land's End through midnight tonight. Two questions: 1) Has this boot been discontinued by AE? I no longer see it on their web site. 2) How does the fit/last compare to the 5 last?

bucksfan

Reaction score

Got an email saying the AE Bayfield could be had 40% off at Land's End through midnight tonight. Two questions: 1) Has this boot been discontinued by AE? I no longer see it on their web site. 2) How does the fit/last compare to the 5 last?

Great deal - if I didnt already have a pair, I'd jump on that. I got 1 width wider than my 5- last shoes because I wanted to wear thicker socks.

elstinnett

Reaction score
Just ordered my first pair of AE. Went with the Park Ave. to replace a pair of Cole Haan's. I'm assuming they'll be the first of many! Pretty happy with the service at the Shoe Bank. Thanks for all the recommendations throughout this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads