1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior Member

:lurk:

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Indeed.

As to your question, clarksdb, your preferences (based on the list you gave us) indicate you are looking for a balmoral wingtip (Jefferson / McAllister) - if that is the case, check out the Cambridge! As Cold Iron stated above, it is a great shoe, and a real classic. The double-oak sole makes it "feel" more substantial, while still remaining a fairly sleek shoe. You also said you were interested in the Patriot. They make this in shell cordovan as well - burgundy, black and brown.

The brown shell Strand is a fantastic shoe as well (Like the Cambridge, it is on the Park Ave's 5-last).

I also have a soft spot in my heart for a heavy cordovan longwing, the Macneil.. This is on a slightly different last, which comes to more of a point. It also happens to fit my foot pretty well, though not everyone shares my fondness for the 7 last.

If you are only getting 1 shell cordovan shoe (or should I say 1 for now), start with a shoe you like the styling of, and one that fits well. I would also get one whose style allows you to wear it in varying degrees of formality. For example, I wear my Macneils and Leeds with anything from jeans to suits. (these are the left two shoes in this pic):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Excellent collection, nicely varied and extremely well cared for. I wish my black calf Park Aves looked as nice. I also appreciate your comments on fit and sizing. Thank you for sharing!

5. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

The last the Neumoras are on definitely fits long--at least as long as, if not longer than the five last in my experience.

My Neumoras also have creased forward of the cap. I don't think it looks bad, and it isn't uncomfortable, so it doesnt bother me.

6. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior Member

7. ShiroiAkuma

ShiroiAkuma Senior Member

Not to many people have the Fifth Streets, I'm looking for another pair of boots (AE's) & I hardly see anyone in here wearing these. Looks like I'll have to post some pics up once I shine them up!

8. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the compliments. My Park Aves look nice because I have spent significantly more time polishing than wearing them. They have come with me to the tailor a few times and that's it. They are primarily for job interviews; i just moved from CA to the east coast and need a new job so they should get some use soon.

9. evolved

evolved Senior Member

Has anyone used Obenauf's HDLP on the brown CXL Bayfield?

I'm wanting to hear some reviews on it. Also, if I apply HDLP I know that the leather will be quite dull but extremely weather proof....will I be able to strip the HDLP off with something like Saphir Reno and return the leather to it's normal sheen?

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

So should I buy the polish or just have someone polish my shoes once a month? My 5 month is starting to show

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

I think a few of us jumped on them when they were on sale last year for $199.

13. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

14. imainish

imainish Senior Member

To my eye the 3-333 is the nicest last I have seen from AE and much more similar in design to the C&J, G&G, EG etc that I have come to admire in a quality shoe yet at a price point that works for me. That said, I don't understand why we should have to "get over" or settle for creasing in the wrong spot. I sent AE an email and await their response.

They are a size 7D.

15. Firefox

Firefox Senior Member

I think there are different schools of thought. Some people would rather just pay to have someone else do it for them and save the effort.

On the other hand, there's the belief that if you want to know that it's done to the standards you expect, you do it yourself.

Personally, I polish my own shoes. After the up-front investment in some good polishes, conditioners, and brushes, it really isn't that big a deal; maybe an hour or so every month, depending on how dirty my shoes are. Unless you are polishing every shoe you own on a weekly basis (in which case you need professional help [​IMG]), taking care of your own shoes shouldn't be that big of a deal. Some people actually find it enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.