• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's not such a great deal looking at the current closeout prices. At least in my size, the majority of closeouts are $149 or less, unless you want 2 independence pairs
will the independence collection be included in the 2 for $300?

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Was thinking about getting another pair of boots. Curious what the gents here think about the Wolverine 744 LTD in brown cordovan versus the Alden Jcrew captoe boot in #8 shell.

I already have Daltons in both calf and cordovan, Fifth streets, and Alden Indy. Is the wolverine the answer just because it's different enough from the rest?

Looking for some purchasing advice still as I am torn over which boot to purchase or whether either really has a role in my rotation.

How do you gents feel about the versatility of each of these boots and when and how how would you wear these options.

Any concerns over the Wolverine being unlined shell? I thought I remember reading that AE will no longer manufacture unlined Shell cordovan shoes/boots.

shoosensuits

Reaction score
Bel Air, Strand, Evanston, and Drydon. The first three are walnut and the Drydon was listed as Brandy.
Thanks! The Bel Air looks very similar to the Player's.

So many great discontinued styles that are so difficult/impossible to find brand new. Shoe bank doesn't have any Bel Air or Evanston in 9.5 or 10D.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some purchasing advice still as I am torn over which boot to purchase or whether either really has a role in my rotation.

How do you gents feel about the versatility of each of these boots and when and how how would you wear these options.

Any concerns over the Wolverine being unlined shell? I thought I remember reading that AE will no longer manufacture unlined Shell cordovan shoes/boots.
Unlined shell is fantastic.
I sold my 744 LTDs.
The reason was that I didn't like how the toebox didn't hold its shape well.
If it were my money, I would go with the Aldens.
Keep in mind that the JCrew captoe boots are on a double leather sole, as opposed to the 744 being on a single flexwelt sole.
The Aldens will take longer to break in, and the 744s will give you slightly less support.

YoungSweet

Reaction score

will the independence collection be included in the 2 for $300? 

Many of the indy shoes are on the close out list right now so I would imagine they will be included. I guess we will find out in a few days

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Unlined shell is fantastic.
I sold my 744 LTDs.
The reason was that I didn't like how the toebox didn't hold its shape well.
If it were my money, I would go with the Aldens.
Keep in mind that the JCrew captoe boots are on a double leather sole, as opposed to the 744 being on a single flexwelt sole.
The Aldens will take longer to break in, and the 744s will give you slightly less support.

Good to know about the toe box!! What I didn't like about the 744 was the single sole on such a chunky looking boot; although at least it is an oiled sole which is better for rain.

As to the Alden, I almost wonder if it has too much overlap with my Daltons which both have the same double oak sole and thus not ideal for foul weather.

I do have a pair of Alden Indy 404's in Kudu with the full lug sole, but they are almost too extreme save for but the worst of conditions. Same goes for the AE Long Branch boots I own.

To bridge the gap I got in on Epaulet's preorder for the the Alden Indy "Innsbruck" boot. Chromexcel leather, brass eyelets, and commando sole.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Back during the last one, Mar maybe? They weren't supposed to be included but some were still doing it. I was looking a brown Rutledge back then. However now that the current line is mostly on closeout for firsts I can't imagine they wouldn't be included.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

Thanks! The Bel Air looks very similar to the Player's.

So many great discontinued styles that are so difficult/impossible to find brand new. Shoe bank doesn't have any Bel Air or Evanston in 9.5 or 10D.

AE needs to bring back a sleek shortwing. You may be able to find a Belair on the bay. Another option is the Hinsdale (discontinued too).

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know about the toe box!! What I didn't like about the 744 was the single sole on such a chunky looking boot; although at least it is an oiled sole which is better for rain.

As to the Alden, I almost wonder if it has too much overlap with my Daltons which both have the same double oak sole and thus not ideal for foul weather.

I do have a pair of Alden Indy 404's in Kudu with the full lug sole, but they are almost too extreme save for but the worst of conditions. Same goes for the AE Long Branch boots I own.

To bridge the gap I got in on Epaulet's preorder for the the Alden Indy "Innsbruck" boot. Chromexcel leather, brass eyelets, and commando sole.
1. Get the JCrew and TOPY them before you wear them, problem solved. They are different enough from a wingtip boot. You may be surprised how much wear they get.
2. The Innsbrook boot will be a good middle ground, and the CXL is awesome for bad weather, however if you want something to dress up slightly the shell CT is better than the CXL Indy.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 totally different boots IMO.

The Alden is more of a dress boot and I agree it is different enough from a wingtip that it is worth getting. I wear my Grant last #8 captoes and AE Cappuccino Bayfields a lot more than wingtip boots, but still almost always as dress boots.

The 744 I only wear casually. But I wear them a lot and sometimes in rough conditions without any issues at all. I wear them so much because I love how they fit and feel and part of that is because they are unlined. I will even wear them when fly fishing on small streams when I don't need to wade wet, and know I am going out to eat after. Yes they are paired with technical pants
smile.gif

They have always cleaned up fine when I needed them to and I have never had an issue with integrity of any part of them.

The 744 is a unique boot, at least in my eyes. You can always pick up a shell captoe dress boot, or at least with a little waiting you can. Something like the 744 not so much. January before last I spent a week in the Phoenix, AZ area and wore them every day. They handled town at night, light hiking in the desert and every thing in between perfectly. My girlfriends daughter was there from Indy and she has a Masters in Art and media sciences and works in those fields. One evening in the hotel room she came over and picked up one of my 744's and studied it for a bit then said these things are beautiful and a work of art. She asked if I could try and talk her boy friend into wearing boots like them. I told her she was on her own there LOL.

As to which one is correct I think a lot depends on your lifestyle. For me the answer is both, one is for play and the other for work.

cats33cats

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Allen Edmonds 3E boat shoes are any wider than Sperry XW? I currently have a pair of Sperry's in 13XW but even they feel too narrow. I don't know what has happened to my feet in the last few months but it seems like they've gotten wider.

(I'm 23 so maybe they are still in fact growing)

Sent from my iPhone using

cats33cats

Reaction score
As an aside, are boot lasts typically more roomy? I may be forced to purchase "dressier" boots for work if I can't find a shoe that gives me enough room.

Sent from my iPhone using

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads