1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

90 degrees today so seemed appropriate to wear these. Brooks Brothers 7. Love the tassel laces.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

X-post from the GMTO thread. I have had a really good shoe month and the cherry on top was finally being able to get these to shine the way I prefer. They were a GMTO from back in December and quite a few of us had issues. AE service was great and they cleaned them up but the finish remained below expectations. I wore the shoes a few times because I really love the style but constantly found myself reaching for something else primarily because of the finish. Well, that won't be an issue anymore......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All it took was a little AE cordovan creme and some elbow grease. Sometimes the answer is too obvious.

6 people like this.
  3. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    Those look amazing -- wow!

4. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

Any before pictures?

5. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Sounds kind of fishy to me - if you said the McAllister fit different than any of the others I guess I could see that, but the Strand and the Park Ave/Fifth Ave, that's a little weird. If they are available to you, I would compare more pairs of the same size you are used to against the half size down in length / up a width deal to make absolutely sure you're happy with how they are.

Wanted to throw this out there as a suggestion - I found that going up a half size in length and down a width (or even a full size in length, down two widths) worked ok too with the 65. You might give that a try (?)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

So sorry to hear that. (Have been on a travel work assignment so just getting back to you) :( When last I checked, there were Schautals about at most of the NYC Burlingtons. Now that I'm back, I breezed through a few today to look at what was what and THEY'RE ALL GONE save for a pair of 10D ones at the 6th Avenue store. No laces either!

They were originally at $139.00, then came down to $99.00 and the last price I'd seen them for was $69.00 as the pairs were just saying there, so they cut the price. I asked to speak to the Shoe Section Associate at Atlantic Center and asked about the Schautals (I didn't call them that, I called 'em the “heavy rust-colored wingtips with the black soles). First off, she says “Oh, you're the 'shoe' guy?” “Hmm? Come again?” “You're the guy that always picks out the great shoes.” I'd had a conversation with one of the cashiers when she noted how nice the Jodoxes I'd nabbed there looked and she complained about her fiancee's shoe choices. I asked her what size he wore and took her back to the shoe area and showed her a nice pair of Blue Suede McGregors still sitting there. Apparently, this was remembered and my shoe choices/finds became a topic of discussion.

Anyways, the Associate told me that the Schautals had been there for just over three months, and 90 days is their limit. They and I quote “tossed 'em in a bin with the other 'lead stock' (a term I'd never heard before, but sounded pretty apt for items that don't move) shoes and 'excessed] them.” I asked what excessed meant, and she said “either dumped to a secondary outlet or sent to a BCF where that style was moving”. As I didn't see them at 6th Avenue or Union Square, I'm assuming they've been sold at cost to someplace like T.J. Maxx (A “secondary outlet” for reals). The only other BCFs in town are the Harlem store—which gets NO AEs, The Queens Center Store which normally has very few, the Gateway Mall store, which I've never been to as it's out on the Rockaways faaaarrrrrr away from me, and lastly the Bronx terminal market store—which I have not been to in about three weeks and HAVE found some awesome stuff at, but was turning over their inventory in a major way when I was last there.

They'd been there since March as you'll see in my screen grabs where I've mentioned them. Where they are now...I have no idea. I am truly sorry you missed 'em. If I spot a pair in 13 I'll have 'em put aside for you and let you know...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Aaaannnnnd...I found these 10D deep tan, rubber-soled (but still eligible for recrafting) Wilbert's at the Union Square BCF here in NYC yesterday—$99.00 and they ARE seconds.

The hiccup with these is a slightly hacked welt on the inside of the left shoe. They look mega-comfy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

These brown pepper grain First Ave looks very good and very tempting.

10. ShadowOf

ShadowOf Active Member

[​IMG]

On the right are my new McAllisters, on the left are my year old Vernons. Two questions:

One, why would my Vernons have quarter heels instead of full rubber. I thought the quarter heels were reserved for higher end shoes like cordovan or The Independence collection? I bought both on eBay as "no warranty," might the Vernons have been MTO?

Two, the soles on the McAllisters look to be tanned or even painted. There is nothing wrong, just curious why the difference?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Vernon always had a dovetail hail. Dunno why.

The soles just come from different batches. I think the newer ones look shinier.

12. althanis

althanis Senior member

I hope it's not improper to ask, but has anyone tried out Meermin? With AE prices creeping up so much lately, I've been thinking about it. But would have no idea what size to order. I'm normally 8D in the 65, but have been finding lately it's a little cramped. Might go with 8.5D if I continue to buy AE.

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Honestly, I would quickly jump on a J. Fitzpatrick on clear out sale right now if anything you like strikes your fancy.

Not much in 7UK left. Black Suede, Black Calf&Suede, Snuff Loafer, Snuff Double monk.

Superior to AE in quality and finishing IMO. Nice last shapes too and they fit pretty similar to AE based on what I tried.

14. rangen930

rangen930 Active Member

Considered another blucher to give my brown Kenilworth's a breather.

I like the Lexington's but I keep reading about the creasing near the toe cap. Is that a reason to avoid?

Would I be better served considering the 6th avenues which look like the Sanfords I was going to get last year but failed to pull the trigger?

I would appreciate any input on the lex toe cap issue and recommendations for my chino+button down uniform.

thanks in advance.

15. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Clark Street CXL for Chino uniform, perhaps. I could never find myself buying them, but always wanted to.

16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Speaking of... I'm wearing my cxl Clark Streets today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I have a pair. I can't say I like them nearly as much. The leather is super stiff and the shoe was pretty painful at first (now it's "tolerable"). The sole feels harder to me and I have to be careful not to slip with them all the time. Part of that, I believe, is because the nails in the heel weren't nailed far enough in so that when I step, I'm just stepping on the heads of the nails instead of the leather.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  18. ShadowOf

ShadowOf Active Member

Maybe, but I haven't seen another pair; they must have changed at some point see the current stock:
    [​IMG]

19. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Is pepper grain the same as pebble grain?

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Wow. That's new. It's probably much cheaper with the full rubber heel. No nails, no leather. Less effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.