• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Yes, left side of heel cup on the right shoe almost touches the my ankle bone.
The left shoe was perfect, just needed a right shoe that matched it.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Presidio is indeed the closest.
On another note, I'm realizing that sizing down by .5 stops the whole heel slippage issue with the loafers. So this opens up the avenue on AE loafers again, what did you end up deciding on?

Waiting for the Positano to come in to check size, but I'm probably going to go with the Firenze. I am liking that bit loafer look...

violethour1951

Reaction score
Are AE shoe trees the way to go?

I also just got the McAllisters and posted a pic a few pages ago. What's the best type of cloth do you use for the polish or does it not matter? You got the Walnut paste right? I got that as well but now I think tha the neutral one may have been better if I want to retain a lighter color. Thoughts?

I believe the AE shoe trees are just Woodlore shoe trees with AE branding. I would recommend the full-toe instead of the split-toe as they appear to shape the toebox better.

The AE polishing cloth works fine.

The polish colour depends on your preference. I have the Clifton and the McAllister both in walnut -- I wanted to keep the walnut a lighter hue on the Cliftons so I am using the cognac polish for that (it also adds a slight red tint which I like), but I think a darker hue would look better with the McAllister brogueing so I am using the walnut polish for that.

mb6c

Reaction score
Well as you posted that perhaps you can give an opinion on my new McAllister. There's one slight imperfection area that is somewhat bothering me:

I will say it looks a little worse in the picture with the up close shot with flash, and also from that angle. Is this worth returning them? I'm assuming there will always be such tiny imperfections on hand-made shoes. Thoughts?

violethour1951

Reaction score
I'm disappointed to have deal with a quality issue for my very first pair of AEs. My pair of supposed 1st quality cordovan Leeds has 2 major defects. Needless to say, they are being shipped back.
Anyhow, they're an 8.5D that should end up in the 2nds listing.
heel_a.jpg

heel_b.jpg

those differences are wildly inappropriate
ffffuuuu.gif
go with Alden for cordovans

violethour1951

Reaction score
Well as you posted that perhaps you can give an opinion on my new McAllister. There's one slight imperfection area that is somewhat bothering me:

I will say it looks a little worse in the picture with the up close shot with flash, and also from that angle. Is this worth returning them? I'm assuming there will always be such tiny imperfections on hand-made shoes. Thoughts?

I had similar imperfections on mine and I think it comes with the territory (unless they are painstakingly crafted handmades from higher end shoemakers like EG, JL). However, after I put some polish on them and brushed them, the imperfections were much less noticeable. My guess is the polish "sinks" into those recesses, making all the ridges darker and more even in colour.

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
Waiting for the Positano to come in to check size, but I'm probably going to go with the Firenze. I am liking that bit loafer look...

Firenze is indeed nicer, very similar to the Ferragamo.
Since I'm looking for a tan loafer, I'm now debating between the AE Rush

and the BB version of Presidio, which worked well when I tried it out in .5 size smaller.

Last edited:

mb6c

Reaction score
I had similar imperfections on mine and I think it comes with the territory (unless they are painstakingly crafted handmades from higher end shoemakers like EG, JL). However, after I put some polish on them and brushed them, the imperfections were much less noticeable. My guess is the polish "sinks" into those recesses, making all the ridges darker and more even in colour.

Thanks I appreciate it. It's good news. Plus I'm not trying to go into the hassle of returning them... the store that sold the said it was the last pair in my size (and I kind of believe them b.c. of the sale... my buddy had to order his size through the mail too).

PhiPsi32, thanks about the tree shoes.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
I have AE full toe trees, Nordstrom split toes,and the Woodlore Epic. The Woodlore Epic and Ultra are fuller in the heel and vamp but I don't know that they are better. If the price is right and the shoe tree fits, use it. Anyone have a different experience?
I found the same thing about the Epic. I liked that it's fuller in the vamp and fills out the heel area better. I've been buying my trees from Nordstrom Rack for years but I like the Epic so much. I'll likely start buying them as needed.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing and enjoying my Burgundy Shell Macneils for a couple of months now. Fit is great and they are an iconic & versatile classic that works well with business and casual attire.

With that said, I'm considering changing the edgetrim from black to brown. Am I crazy? Should I leave well enough alone? Just interested in some feedback from fellow AE enthusiasts.

For reference, there have been several Alden Color 8 LWB makeups with the brown edgetrim. Leffot's example from early this year comes to mind and looks terrific. Furthermore, someone here at SF posted a DIY tutorial on the process.

http://lastedleather.com/Edgetrim/Changingedgetrim.html

I'm not sure I'd tackle the job myself. If I don't gain the nerve to do so, the other option is to have B. Nelson perform the work when I need a resole. I've seen his results a few times here at SF and it looks quite good (IMO). However, since I wear these shoes at most once a week, it will be some time (2+ yrs) before I need the iron-like Rendenbach soles replaced.

Any thoughts? Good or bad...I can take it
smile.gif

Last edited:

Dr.Teatime

Reaction score
While I see your point that the brown edge looks natty, I'd be worried of destroying a perfectly good shoe.

I vote leave em alone and wear in good health.

The Macneils are a beauty

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I see your point that the brown edge looks natty, I'd be worried of destroying a perfectly good shoe.
I vote leave em alone and wear in good health.
The Macneils are a beauty

You make some very good points, thanks for the input.

For reference, my Macneil's with a few days of wear. I've since treated with a bit of renovateur and a lot of brushing. They've got a nice glow to them now.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing and enjoying my Burgundy Shell Macneils for a couple of months now. Fit is great and they are an iconic & versatile classic that works well with business and casual attire.

With that said, I'm considering changing the edgetrim from black to brown. Am I crazy? Should I leave well enough alone? Just interested in some feedback from fellow AE enthusiasts.

For reference, there have been several Alden Color 8 LWB makeups with the brown edgetrim. Leffot's example from early this year comes to mind and looks terrific. Furthermore, someone here at SF posted a DIY tutorial on the process.

http://lastedleather.com/Edgetrim/Changingedgetrim.html

I'm not sure I'd tackle the job myself. If I don't gain the nerve to do so, the other option is to have B. Nelson perform the work when I need a resole. I've seen his results a few times here at SF and it looks quite good (IMO). However, since I wear these shoes at most once a week, it will be some time (2+ yrs) before I need the iron-like Rendenbach soles replaced.

Any thoughts? Good or bad...I can take it :) .

I have seen people try this and it is possible to change the edge color, but the flaw that I see is that the welt is still black while the mid-leather and leather sole are brown. The contrast from the black welt and brown soles is just not effective in my eyes. A suggestion is that when you are eventually ready for a re-sole, you can ask AE if they can change the soles AND also the welt to a natural edge trim style. This would ensure professionally done work and alleviating the contrasting welt. Either way, good luck!

Costa

Reaction score
I'm disappointed to have deal with a quality issue for my very first pair of AEs. My pair of supposed 1st quality cordovan Leeds has 2 major defects. Needless to say, they are being shipped back.
Anyhow, they're an 8.5D that should end up in the 2nds listing.
heel_a.jpg

heel_b.jpg

The bad news; what a pain ********** for something you've paid in full for, and should not happen. Here is the good news; send them back and speak to a customer service representative. Tell him/her that you want them to personally inspect the replacement pair. They will probably give you $100 credit, and your replacement shoes will be a notch above first quality.

This exact same thing happened on my shells, my post with pictures are a few pages back. Its well worth the wait, and like I said, the replacements are flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads