• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
I, like you, am a 9.5 / 10 depending on brand, last, etc. I also have wide feet. I ordered walnut Strands in 10 EEE and ended up having to go down to 9.5 EEE. The 9.5s fit great.
The funny thing about the 5 last is I have a pair of McTavish, another shoe made on the 5 last, in 9 EEE and they fit just like my Strands in 9.5. My advice, particularly because you are close to a 10, would be to order the Strand in 9.5 EE. Keep in mind that if you order them online during the 90th anniversary sale you get free shipping and free return shipping as well - no penalty if you need to exchange them.
Best of luck.

I don't think the Strand is available in EE? So would you suggest the 9.5 E or the 9.5 EEE?

UglyJoe

Reaction score
I don't think the Strand is available in EE? So do you suggest the 9.5 E or 9.5 EE?

UglyJoe

Reaction score
I, like you, am a 9.5 / 10 depending on brand, last, etc. I also have wide feet. I ordered walnut Strands in 10 EEE and ended up having to go down to 9.5 EEE. The 9.5s fit great.
The funny thing about the 5 last is I have a pair of McTavish, another shoe made on the 5 last, in 9 EEE and they fit just like my Strands in 9.5. My advice, particularly because you are close to a 10, would be to order the Strand in 9.5 EE. Keep in mind that if you order them online during the 90th anniversary sale you get free shipping and free return shipping as well - no penalty if you need to exchange them.
Best of luck.

I don't think the Strand is available in EE? So would you suggest 9.5 E or 9.5 EEE?

Thanks!

g.michael

Reaction score

My first post, thanks to the forum I found out about the seconds deal on Bradley Chili Seconds.  I just got them (ordered Monday) can barely find one tiny little nick (and I mean tiny) on them.
They look and fit fantastic.  I'll definitely be ordering from the Shoe Bank at the factory again!

I do have a question, it looks to me that the heel and sole edge dressing is chili color, do others agree that's what I'd use?

Congratulations--chili is really a cool color. I use brown edge dressing on my chili colored shoes, looks great. i would assume the actual chili color would be good too.

PK35216

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading posts for a few weeks now. I got into this whole "stye" thing about a year ago, and I've been having some fun with it. I've become an AE addict, I fear. I just bit the bullet and ordered some Walnut McAllisters 9.5C direct from AE. The stated wait time is 2-3 weeks, fyi. I already have Walnut Strands and Walnut Daltons. The Strands are still my favorite shoe in my ever-growing collection.

I read the forum's sales rules and I think what I am about to do is okay, but please let me know if it isn't. I've got an ebay listing for the burnished brown Williams from the Independence Collection in size 9D. There are still about 4 days left in the auction with no bids yet, so I thought I would post a link here. Starting bid is $165 since they retail for $445.00. They are in great condition, but just a bit tight in the toe box area, so I replaced them with the Jeffersons. The 5 last is my best fit as it turns out. Link below, which has all the other details and pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...4679839?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item4164d6e79f

Reaction score
My first post, thanks to the forum I found out about the seconds deal on Bradley Chili Seconds.  I just got them (ordered Monday) can barely find one tiny little nick (and I mean tiny) on them.
They look and fit fantastic.  I'll definitely be ordering from the Shoe Bank at the factory again!

I do have a question, it looks to me that the heel and sole edge dressing is chili color, do others agree that's what I'd use?

Congratulations--chili is really a cool color. I use brown edge dressing on my chili colored shoes, looks great. i would assume the actual chili color would be good too.

I own the chili Bradley's in smooth calf and those look like brown sole edges to me. I held them up to the Brown Strands too and they look the same. I looked at the picture of the pebble grain version on the AE website and it also looks brown.

Compare it to the picture of the chili Lasalle's--now those look like chili colored sole edges.

Last edited:

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Best of luck.

I don't believe the Strand is available in EE. So do you suggest the 9.5 E or the 9.5 EEE?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand how a Brannock device works then. I thought if you measured a 9D (between a 8.5 and 9, but not over) and the shoes you were buying were TTS you would get a 9D. If your foot went over the line for a 9 you would then move up to the next size length.

ayoungs

Reaction score
My Bradley's sole and edge dressing look very close to the Lasalle's. I have the Wilbert's that have a brown edge dressing and now I can see the difference.
I'm off to the AE retail store to buy a ton of supplies this weekend, my AE shoes are well worth the TLC.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get used to the idea of ordering multiple sizes and returning whatever doesn't fit. I won't force the issue, but I have some experience in this area. You order a pair, you try them on, and they fit "great". You wear them a few times, and oops there's a problem. This hurts. That isn't creasing right, etc.

Furthermore, you won't learn anything unless you compare adjacent sizes (i.e. you have no frame of reference for that style and fit of shoe).

My suggestion, try a 10D & a 10E. I am extremely confident that chasing an extra wide 9.5 will not help you. I also suggest ordering from Nordstrom.com which offers free shipping and free returns.

Don't get caught up in the AE sale pricing. Discounts appear periodically on AE, Nordstrom, Amazon, etc. Say you save $100 on a $300 pair of shoes, if they don't fit, you've wasted $200. Blind ordering shoes on sale is best for people who already know what size they need in that brand.

Hey, do what makes you happy, but be kind to your feet.

Quote:
If you find that, after having them for a week or two, that the shoe is causing some pain in one of your feet, do you have any recourse, even if you bought them at an Allen Edmonds store? I have a pair of 5th Avenues that I bought about a week ago. I got measured in the store, tried the shoe on, and it felt fine. After wearing them 3 times, the right one feels good, but for the left one, the shoe presses hard on the top of my big toe. I don't suppose I can take them back now?

bucksfan

Reaction score
^AE has exceptional customer service. Give them a chance to wow you. Start with the store where you made the purchase.

Last edited:

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried posting last night but the forum kept saying "your post is being held under moderation" or some such. I think I am going to try a 9.5 E, since my foot technically measures that and I should get that little bit of comfort room I need with the extra length of the 5 last. Thanks again!

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go to the AE website and look at the user reviews, the Strand runs long and narrow; sizing up on this particular shoe is a mistake.

I don't believe it. I'm a perfect 11C on the Brannock, and I'm wearing the Burnished Brown Strand 11.5C right now. Fit's pretty well considering I am flay footed. So, no, sizing up on this shoe was the best thing I ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads