• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atoms

Reaction score
Often under appreciated, but I love this shoe. Finally bought it. I own the natural one as well but sized down for this one and the fit is much better. It's the McTavish in Cognac and it goes great with my Dad jeans. Fits in with the "Go Bears" crowd that I'll be hanging with during tonights game unlike some of my other shoes...

Size 8D. I am normally 8.5 to 9D depending on last/maker. It's got a great rough look to the leather but also some sheen that can be adjusting as desired via polish techniques.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Often under appreciated, but I love this shoe. Finally bought it. I own the natural one as well but sized down for this one and the fit is much better. It's the McTavish in Cognac and it goes great with my Dad jeans. Fits in with the "Go Bears" crowd that I'll be hanging with during tonights game unlike some of my other shoes...

Size 8D. I am normally 8.5 to 9D depending on last/maker. It's got a great rough look to the leather but also some sheen that can be adjusting as desired via polish techniques.
These, along with Neumoks, are pretty much the perfect casual shoe.

MrWN

Reaction score
I just got mine. Physically they're perfect. Unfortunately the fit of the left is way off. Maybe that's the defect. Heel is hugely out of proportion. Tongue pads and insoles don't help, so even at 149, I have to send back. Too bad, they're gorgeous
frown.gif

Do you own the Strand or Park Ave? How do the Flatirons fit you compared to the ones mentioned?

I've tried the Batons before and they feel wider and longer/bigger than the Strand.

On another note, I heard that you can return seconds to a retail store if you want to avoid the $10 return fee.

Can anyone else confirm if this is true?

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
I say "infamous" because a lot of people on this thread complain about the volume of stuff that AE puts on their new shell cordovan shoes, as difficult to remove and covering up the beauty of the shell.

How did you remove it? Simple buffing or with some product, as well?

This makes my Jefferson v. McAllister v. McTavish conundrum even harder. I had been swayed over to the Jefferson by comments here and elsewhere (and the desireable fact that I cannot afford them now). These pics, however, have me second guessing.

My weekly rotation:
Burgundy shell PAs
Black shell Leeds
Walnut Jermyns
Black Red Wing Beckman chukkas

I said in a previous post that I've never needed a brogued wingtip, but the truth is I prefer them and would probably wear this shoe twice as often as the others--especially if it works with dress trousers, khakis, and jeans. (I have J&M saddle wingtips in walnut and linen, but they're a white-pants-only affair).

A couple of you have suggested that it would depend on the color. I'm assuming the cognac above was MTO? I love it and could certainly use it with my usual wardrobe. OTR, I'd pick one of the walnut variants:

Last call for suggestions. Thanks.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, I heard that you can return seconds to a retail store if you want to avoid the $10 return fee.

Can anyone else confirm if this is true?
That is true. I did it before.

atoms

Reaction score
WICaniac,
The cognac is regular stock they just don't seem to carry it in the stores (at least not the one by me). I saw you had the natural wax listed in your photos. Be warned that the color is lighter and "brighter" than the photo if you haven't had a chance to see it in person. The color ends up being somewhat loud. Also, the soles on these are double oak so quite, umm, rigid. It might not be your thing so it could help with your decision.

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got mine. Physically they're perfect. Unfortunately the fit of the left is way off. Maybe that's the defect. Heel is hugely out of proportion. Tongue pads and insoles don't help, so even at 149, I have to send back. Too bad, they're gorgeous
frown.gif
Got mine. Looks 95% good, fits 100% theres a small blemish on the inside of one, kind of a discolouration. Did I read in here that they mark the soles because they're seconds? That's about the only other imperfection that I can tell. Woo hoo!!

I pulled the trigger with Allison and the Players in Brown Shell with Independence leather lining insole and outsole with Brown wheeled edges. Now the wait.
bigstar[1].gif
I was thinking to try natural but I went with brown welt, still kind of teetering on that.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you remove it? Simple buffing or with some product, as well?

This makes my Jefferson v. McAllister v. McTavish conundrum even harder. I had been swayed over to the Jefferson by comments here and elsewhere (and the desireable fact that I cannot afford them now). These pics, however, have me second guessing.

My weekly rotation:
Burgundy shell PAs
Black shell Leeds
Walnut Jermyns
Black Red Wing Beckman chukkas
I said in a previous post that I've never needed a brogued wingtip, but the truth is I prefer them and would probably wear this shoe twice as often as the others--especially if it works with dress trousers, khakis, and jeans. (I have J&M saddle wingtips in walnut and linen, but they're a white-pants-only affair).

A couple of you have suggested that it would depend on the color. I'm assuming the cognac above was MTO? I love it and could certainly use it with my usual wardrobe. OTR, I'd pick one of the walnut variants:

Last call for suggestions. Thanks.

I would actually suggest you get a medium brown Jefferson since you are missing that color from your rotation.

If you are set on walnut i'd suggest the McAllister. The Jefferson while very similar to the McAllister is likely too dressy for jeans and casual khakis. The McTavish won't do as well with dress slacks.

Have you considered a longwing blucher or are you set on a shortwing balmoral?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got mine. Looks 95% good, fits 100% theres a small blemish on the inside of one, kind of a discolouration. Did I read in here that they mark the soles because they're seconds? That's about the only other imperfection that I can tell. Woo hoo!!

I pulled the trigger with Allison and the Players in Brown Shell with Independence leather lining insole and outsole with Brown wheeled edges. Now the wait.
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif
I was thinking to try natural but I went with brown welt, still kind of teetering on that.
Nice. You'll actually be the only one I know of with a shell Players since I think I might actually skip my similar MTO and go for the RL Marlows instead. This was tempting, but all I have are AEs so I'm going to branch out a bit. Also, my experience with the 2 last sizing is really holding me back.

Still, I can't wait to see what they look like though. I'm sure they will be gorgeous.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. You'll actually be the only one I know of with a shell Players since I think I might actually skip my similar MTO and go for the RL Marlows instead. This was tempting, but all I have are AEs so I'm going to branch out a bit. Also, my experience with the 2 last sizing is really holding me back.

Still, I can't wait to see what they look like though. I'm sure they will be gorgeous.

I understand that feeling of branching out, I heavily contemplated it as well. When I spoke to Allison she's like "didn't I just talk to you yesterday" lol. I hope you're not skipping out on ordering them on my behalf. I swear I won't be in NY any time soon
biggrin.gif
Post up the Marlows when you get them. They sure are gorgeous!

shartmann

Reaction score
I am planning to get a burgundy shell Clifton as an MTO. All of my burgundy shoes have black colored welts and edges, which looks great on a formal shoe but is kind of bland. Any other alternatives that would look good with this shoe, perhaps a dark chili? Thanks for any feedback.

WICaniac

Reaction score
I would actually suggest you get a medium brown Jefferson since you are missing that color from your rotation.

If you are set on walnut i'd suggest the McAllister. The Jefferson while very similar to the McAllister is likely too dressy for jeans and casual khakis. The McTavish won't do as well with dress slacks.

Have you considered a longwing blucher or are you set on a shortwing balmoral?
Adding a color makes sense, but I'm not crazy about brown (except perhaps some day in a shell Dundee). I like bourbon and chili, but my options there are limited. I'd consider a long-wing blucher, but I don't care for the MacNeil's elongated teardrop and can't fit in the Larchmont's 333 last. The Williams is a handsome shoe but brings me right back to brown. Of course I could have them MTO, but I plan on placing a special order through AAFES, which I think precludes this option.

aldenfan

Reaction score
That is the number, although any AE outlet can help you.

Nice to see die hard Alden fans on this thread!

Thanks, great to be in on a great thread!
fistbump.gif
. I'm guilty of double, triple, and quadruple dipping. I'm definitely a fan of quality shoes, especially Allen Edmond, Alden, and Crockett and Jones. Unfortunately AllenEdmondsAldenCrockettAndJonesCarminaFan I figured would be too long of a username
biggrin.gif

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am planning to get a burgundy shell Clifton as an MTO. All of my burgundy shoes have black colored welts and edges, which looks great on a formal shoe but is kind of bland. Any other alternatives that would look good with this shoe, perhaps a dark chili? Thanks for any feedback.

I like the chili welt with the transparent brown edge. It's like what the Neumok edges have. I agree the black edge is too formal. It's why the MTO is so great since burgundy and black are so common together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads