Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Yes. Quicker response than email.

2. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

quote name="bucksfan" url="/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/31380#post_6649473"]Spent some time getting the infamous AE polish / cream / whatever off my new kenwoods.

Mid- way through:
    [​IMG]

Naked #8 goodness:

[​IMG][/quote]

So what is that stuff and why do we really want to remove it? Doesn't it offer protection to the cordovan and add to the color?

3. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

What are your thoughts on the Saunders vs. the Dundee in calf? I want a brown boot, but the Dundee is $200 more than the Saunders (tan) right now.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I just got mine. Physically they're perfect. Unfortunately the fit of the left is way off. Maybe that's the defect. Heel is hugely out of proportion. Tongue pads and insoles don't help, so even at 149, I have to send back. Too bad, they're gorgeous :(

5. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

Must avoid the progression... Must avoid the progression...

I have been subscribing to this thread since August. I recently stopped my subscription and vowed to stop buying shoes. However, I got the Rediscover America list of seconds and avoided a purchase, but then a few days later requested an updated list--it had the BB walnut Strands and I couldn't resist! Now I started my subscription to this thread again. Seeing all of the shell and made to order shoes makes me wonder how long until I start all of that!

6. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Why is the AE cordovan care cream "infamous"? I ask as I had some troubles of my own the other day, but I attributed them to the horrible AE pencil dauber shedding hairs constantly.

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

So what is that stuff and why do we really want to remove it? Doesn't it offer protection to the cordovan and add to the color?[/QUOTE]

It is either polish or cream that AE adds to its shell cordovan shoes, in order to make them look what they think is better. I personally like to see the actual shell, rather than covering it up with product. No real protection is gained, in fact there is some discussion about whether the shell cordovan is more likely to "welt" if it is covered in a polish. It really is just a preference though. Most on here prefer less product.

I typically only use a damp rag with a horsehair brush. I wipe them down, then brush off. The water makes the polish easier to remove. I keep at it until nothing is coming off on the rag. It usually takes about 30 mins per shoe. This pair of kenwoods was loaded, so I used Renovateur and a horsehair brush. Took me about 30 mins per shoe, and I still need to hit them again a little tonight. Some others have been known to use Renomat to strip it all off, but I personally didn't want to use something that harsh. I'd rather spend the time.

Yes, AE's burgundy shell cordovan cream does add color to the shoes, as does Saphir's version of the same.

That was my take also. Happy to see the "old" coloration peeking through.

I say "infamous" because a lot of people on this thread complain about the volume of stuff that AE puts on their new shell cordovan shoes, as difficult to remove and covering up the beauty of the shell.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Do you guys know if this $505 MTO special ends the 15th along with the Rediscover America Sale?

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I bought a pair of the Saunders in chocolate suede. I like them a lot. If you want a pair, I'd suggest calling in right away. A lot of the BB and RL shoes are actually sold out from the last sale, but the inventory hasn't been completely updated yet. I learned that when I called last week. Unless you're an unusual size, there's a good chance that they won't actually have any, so check right away.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

There is no "$505 MTO special". It is all pricing from the RDA sale. Once the sale ends all shell will be back to $595(shoes). Get crackin'!!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Thats what I was afraid of. I need to try on a 2 last before ordering. Thanks.

12. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I am considering unlined black shell Dalton with commando (or AE's name for it, mini lug I think) sole MTO.
    Thoughts?

13. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Allison told me she can extend RDA an extra week for orders she starts talking about before it ends. I got mine in already but start chatting with her and ask and she will likely give you to the 22

14. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

PSA: Jos Bank has trees today for $8.50 with free shipping. Maybe some don't like them, but they've worked for me!

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I hope I like them! I ordered 4 pair earlier. They look identical to my AE branded trees. I typically buy the Woodlore from Nordstrom Rack.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.