1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

black. darn iPhone pics....

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Great looking shoes. I especially like the tan and cognac ones with a leather sole, assuming the welt is the light/natural-type color as well. Would be a great semi-casual shoe to wear either at work or perhaps when just out and about.

3. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Is it bad I have girls at my office (who sit by me) pointing out the horrible square toed monstrosities to me when they see them? Ha Ha Ha

1 person likes this.
  4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

@tampatravel Not bad at all! They know you have fine taste in footwear, my friend. Do they ever tell you that you need more NSTs like tifosi?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Those look sharp. How much do they charge for a shine there?

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I concur with Big Rob's suggestion of the FA or McAlister in brown.

If you wear sport coats & tie a lot, the McAlister might bridge the gap a tiny bit better. I'd also suggest (if you want to dip your toe into the shell water) the Cambridge or MacNeil in burgundy are excellent.

I realize there are people who preach no bluchers with suits. But, in the US anyway, there is ample precedent for wearing dark colored gunboats with suits.

7. froggy41

froggy41 Member

8. froggy41

froggy41 Member

Beautiful!

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

They refer to them as @tifosi toes! Ha Ha Ha

Speaking of "Tifosi Toes", I was at my tailor yesterday and there was another fella standing there waiting to drop off a blazer. Anyways...he had NSTs on some light walnut colored shoes. They were begging for some TLC . The front f them looked like someone's dirty and cracked elbows. Gross.

It hot me to thinking why a guy, who obviously cares about how things fit or what he looks like (he was at a tailor after all), but would let his shoes get that bad?

I tried to take a pic but couldn't do it without looking like a weirdo :D

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Haha! Did you see I changed my avatar just for you @tampatravel? haha

That definitely wasn't me! I take care of my tifosi toes!

11. delmar

delmar Senior member

There are new Mcneil webgems up at the AE website. Natural leather, burgundy, and cognac with a few different rubber sole options. I would choose the cognac with the red rubber sole.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

3$ to the store and tip to the gentleman.

13. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Some followup questions:

(1) Fifth Avenue—brown burnished calf or bourbon?

(2) Do Fifth Aves ever go on sale for Nordstrom Anniversary? If not, where/when else to nab a deal?

(3) Are the walnut strands work-appropriate in a BigLaw firm setting?

14. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

The cognac has me interested

15. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

Agree - Here is a shoe that belongs in the collection of every single member of this forum:

burgundy LWB (Macneil 5) with a Dainite sole - can't get more useful or more versatile than that.
    [​IMG]

16. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I concur likely my next order.

17. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

Those vibram soles do a great job of keeping the leather up and out of the salt and slush. If you are in Toronto and looking for a good deal right now on a similar boot, check out the Rider boot on sale at Leatherfoot. Although I am incredibly pleased with my Longbranches, had these Riders been on sale at this price when I made my purchase, I would have bought them in a second:
    http://www.leatherfoot.com/store/grafton/dp/1783

[​IMG]

18. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

1) I'm a lawyer, too, though not at a big firm. I think the Fifth Avenues are classic in any color, but brown burnished calf would be dressier for the office.

3) The walnut strands are appropriate for wearing to the office, but I probably wouldn't wear them to court, or to meetings with important clients. But you could definitely wear them to a regular work day, particularly if you're doing something social after work and don't want to look as if you are going to depose your friends.

19. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Note that this is a single sole--whereas the standard MacNeil comes on a double sole. Same with the Dainite version--there is no midsole between the rubber and the welt. As far as I am concerned, MacNeil on a single sole would look pretty awkward.

1 person likes this.
  20. bobbyz

bobbyz Well-Known Member

I had the same question earlier in the year and decided to pass on the Amoks as I had 2 pairs of Clarks. As you said, the Amoks are a nicer, dressier shoe but as someone else recommended to you, I found it better to put my money towards the other gaps I had. I decided the next chukkas I'd buy would be the Dundees if I was going for a more formal chukka. Reading what you wrote you seem to have

Dark Brown Clarks Chukka
    Tan Elgin
    Chili Dalton

There's lots of room in there for other shoes to diversify your wardrobe and give you more options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.