1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's usually 19.22% off select models.

1922 being the year AE was founded. Hence the term "anniversary sale"

1 person likes this.
  2. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Learn something new everyday

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I wasn't sure about the cap toe / wingtip design when they released it. But it is now growing on me. And your photos just made it even more appealing. The bourbon color is great on that shoe.

Chris

4. devastitis

devastitis Senior member

I have the dark brown FAs, like the others rec'ed, and I love them. But my favorite pair is my merlot McAllisters.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I wasn't sure about the cap toe / wingtip design when they released it. But it is now growing on me. And your photos just made it even more appealing. The bourbon color is great on that shoe. Chris

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Looks like the Lexington is also offered in Bourbon and Chili now - I don't remember those colors when it was first on the website.

I like the Brown and Chili McAllisters best. But the Merlot and Black look nice also - very classic look. And I have the Walnut McAllister (also have a pair of Burgundy McAllisters from 1990, but it's a different shade).

I guess you could say I am a fan of the McAllister.

Chris

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Strand brown suede on Amazon for $186...nice price for firsts better if you have the 20% off. Dainite sole

8. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Are the burgundy ones calf or shell? They look terrific

9. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

The oxfords that Allen Edmonds manufacturers for Jos. A. Bank seem to be very similar to their regular line models, only their seconds are substantially less expensive. Is there any appreciable difference in quality? If not, I may grab pairs in black and brown the next time they have a sale.

10. devastitis

devastitis Senior member

Thanks! I think the lighting makes them jump out more, but I love them with my light grey suit. They're just calf. Shell is too rich for my blood.

11. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I know some if not all are made on different lasts than the AE version and have the poron insole.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

They are an excellent value in seconds, due to their price. There isn't any difference in quality.

1 person likes this.
  13. MoneyWellSpent

Some are made on different lasts (Boardroom and Nathan), but it is Brooks Brothers that uses Poron insoles. Not Joseph A Bank, in my experience.

14. MoneyWellSpent

In fact, the Jefferson is a single sole. Rather, the Independence Collection uses thick single soles than the traditional leather soles offered by AE. They don't quite make it to double sole thickness, but are an extra "iron" thicker than a typical single sole bend.

15. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

The only JAB shoe made with the Poron insole is the Malone, which has no current AE equivalent.

16. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

@MWS. ^^^ thanks for the correction. Mine have a toppy on them and, at a glance, looklike a double soul.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  17. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

18. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

Received my seconds 2/250 on Friday, just had a chance to open them today.

The Burgundy Cliftons are excellent - a couple minor imperfections making them seconds, but certainly worth keeping.

The Elgin's are a much tougher decision. My gut reaction when I opened the box was to return them - however, after spending a couple hours when them on my feet, I think I can live with the imperfections. They are 'the worst' seconds quality shoes I have received from AE to date.

[​IMG]

The above picture shows the worst of the blemishes - it actually doesn't look as bad with the flash. The toes of both shoes show some more spotting as can be seen in the above picture. It is noticeable from eye level, but I think I can still live with it. Working in a hospital, I am pretty hard on my shoes - they end up getting dinged off of all kinds of random objects. They are hard to say no to for the 2/250 price. The Elgin's are also some of the most comfortable shoes I've put on from AE right out of the box. Might be an easier decision if I lived in the US and it only would cost $10 to return... but since it would likely cost upwards of $25-$30 to return, in addition to having spent $40 to have the pair of shoes sent up here... #CanadaProblems

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Any chance you can have them look at the shoes for you in the future to avoid this problem?

20. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

I did ask the associate to take a look. The pair of burgundy cliftons came from the associates store. The Elgin's came from the warehouse - who apparently told the associate 'they looked good'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.