• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimney

Reaction score
Help! I think I ruined my cordovan shoes! I purchased my first pair of cordovans from the shoebank. Then my cream at a retail store. The salesman told me to watch the video found on their site and told me to apply a light coat with a dauber.

I watched the video and applied even less than what the guy in the AE demo video was showing. They even tell you to apply it "thoroughly". I had read on these forums to apply conservatively so I thought that applying less than what the AE demo guy was showing would be adequate.

I wiped off most of it, brushed it with a horsehair brush, then buffed the shoe with a soft cotton cloth. But it left my shoe with a slightly dull shine in some places and a glossy shine in others. Is this a cause for concern? Will it go away if I don't polish it with cream for another couple months but instead just wipe the dull areas with a clean cotton cloth and horsehair brush from time to time? Would that take off from the thick layer of cream I just applied?

It will get better, that's nothing to worry about. Brush and buff.

green garden

Reaction score
While the number of readers and posters on this thread seems to be dropping dramatically over the weekend, I thought I might still want to throw a question that has been bothering me for the past week or so. I am finalizing my MTO Leeds in dark brown (alas, cappuccino is all out) and I am stuck with the sole options.

In a nutshell, the choices boil down to the following: JR vs. Dainite (with the midsole). Ultimately, I want these to be my all-weather walker and I came to the understanding that I don't wear my leather sole shoes in the foul weather, and stick to the Trickers or AE Aberdeen on the Vibram sole. So, my options are either get them on the Dainite at the factory or put Vibram protector at the local cobbler's.

AE seems to be willing to add a midsole between the welt and the Dainite to add some beefiness to the sole and make it similar to the Leeds double sole. This will probably look like this:

Given that I want a light brown (aka antique) welt and sole edge, similar to this

do you think I could still achieve this effect with the Dainite sole?

I don't think you can completely get the Alden look. My understanding is that AE only carries black Dainite. Your midsole will can be stained transparent chili to achieve the antique look you are looking for. But your sole and heel will be black. IMHO, I think it will look fine. But I also don't think there is anything wrong with having a double leather sole and then Topy installed.

CounselorStyle

Reaction score
Is heel slipping while walking expected? The salesman told me that it was partially due to the sole resisting flexing with the foot but will break in

My heel only comes up a bit and not even close to coming out of the shoe.

Some heel slippage will be reduced once the sole breaks in. The only way you can judge whether yours will is to assure that the shoe fits properly (most importantly, that the ball of the foot is at the widest part of the shoe; also important for slippage is that the heel isn't way to wide).

Your salesman could be right. On the other hand, I had a salesman at one AE store tell me the same thing. The heel slippage never stopped, and once I learned to discern whether shoes fit for myself, it's obvious that the shoe is way too long. I thus have a nice pair of Strands that I can't wear. So be careful, and make sure the shoe fits before it becomes unreturnable.

trueimage

Reaction score
Some heel slippage will be reduced once the sole breaks in. The only way you can judge whether yours will is to assure that the shoe fits properly (most importantly, that the ball of the foot is at the widest part of the shoe; also important for slippage is that the heel isn't way to wide).

Your salesman could be right. On the other hand, I had a salesman at one AE store tell me the same thing. The heel slippage never stopped, and once I learned to discern whether shoes fit for myself, it's obvious that the shoe is way too long. I thus have a nice pair of Strands that I can't wear. So be careful, and make sure the shoe fits before it becomes unreturnable.

These are Strands, and I'm already at EEE width. If I go down 1/2 size, the shoe is too tight through the arch. But I do feel that if I push my foot slightly forward, it "fits" better. Is that something a thin insole would fix?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
These are Strands, and I'm already at EEE width. If I go down 1/2 size, the shoe is too tight through the arch. But I do feel that if I push my foot slightly forward, it "fits" better. Is that something a thin insole would fix?

Tongue pad would serve better. If EE is too tight and EEE is not locking your instep in place/heel cup too wide, then 5 last probably isn't a good one for you. It's already known to be a low instep last.

CounselorStyle

Reaction score
Tongue pad would serve better. If EE is too tight and EEE is not locking your instep in place/heel cup too wide, then 5 last probably isn't a good one for you. It's already known to be a low instep last.

If the shoe feels better with his foot pushed slightly forward, the problem is likely that it is too long in the sense that the ball of his foot is behind the widest part of the shoe. If that's the case, a tongue pad will only ensure that the ball of his foot never actually gets where it's supposed to be, which makes taking a step feel really awkward at best. It depends, though, and I suppose trying one couldn't hurt.

I find that once I get a shoe that fits my heel to ball measurement perfectly, there's about half a size of play where I can use length to account for other factors without making the shoe unwearable. Past that, it's best to try another last.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
What exactly is the independence lining?

The Independence lining is the lining used in the Independence collection. I own the Rutledge, Jefferson and Williams from that collection. I can tell you that it is a very soft lining, Allison tells me that it is the softest lining AE makes. It also has a padded heal seat. It is very soft and very comfortable. I have 25 pairs of AEs, and I can tell you it does make a difference. I am looking forward to a shell shoe with an independence lining.

I also have the Shell Jefferson webgem on order, I am thinking it will be another shell with this soft lining. I have a feeling these two may become my two favorite pairs quickly.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I just stumbled across a couple unreleased shoes from the Independence line. What do you all think? I added a little info on the namesake of each shoe to understand who they were.

The Braxton - Carter Braxton was a signer of the Declaration that loaned a great deal of $ to support the revolution, and also lost a bunch of $ in privateering. He lost all his wealth, and never recovered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...0888890?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43c06897ba

The Gwinnet - Button Gwinnet was the 2nd signer of the Declaration of Independence after John Hancock. Gwinnet signed on the far left, while Hancock signed right smack dab in the middle and large.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...2834480?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43bfedb130

There also appears to be the Rush, named for Benjamin Rush. Ben Franklin and John Adams were critical of the attractive, handsome, well-spoken gentleman Rush. The felt he gossiped to much and his extreme confidence came across as arrogance.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Independence lining is the lining used in the Independence collection. I own the Rutledge, Jefferson and Williams from that collection. I can tell you that it is a very soft lining, Allison tells me that it is the softest lining AE makes. It also has a padded heal seat. It is very soft and very comfortable. I have 25 pairs of AEs, and I can tell you it does make a difference. I am looking forward to a shell shoe with an independence lining.

I also have the Shell Jefferson webgem on order, I am thinking it will be another shell with this soft lining. I have a feeling these two may become my two favorite pairs quickly. 

How much did your Independece shell Franciscan run you? Perhaps I should call and upgrade my MTO...

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Allison told me they could honor the RDA sale prices on MTO, and as usuals here know, SF members get to waive the MTO fee per Paul Grangaard. So, I got the Franciscan in shell for $505.75. You could get it as a make up in the Independence leather for $403.75. Email Allison, she will take good care of you. I am thrilled to get a shell, with all the Independence stylings...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Allison told me they could honor the RDA sale prices on MTO, and as usuals here know, SF members get to waive the MTO fee per Paul Grangaard. So, I got the Franciscan in shell for $505.75. You could get it as a make up in the Independence leather for $403.75. Email Allison, she will take good care of you. I am thrilled to get a shell, with all the Independence stylings... 

She didn't charge you for the Indy upgrades??? That IS a good deal!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads