1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimney

jimney Senior Member

It will get better, that's nothing to worry about. Brush and buff.

2. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior Member

Phew. Thats good to hear! Thanks guys. I can go to sleep now ha!

3. green garden

green garden Senior Member

I don't think you can completely get the Alden look. My understanding is that AE only carries black Dainite. Your midsole will can be stained transparent chili to achieve the antique look you are looking for. But your sole and heel will be black. IMHO, I think it will look fine. But I also don't think there is anything wrong with having a double leather sole and then Topy installed.

4. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

Some heel slippage will be reduced once the sole breaks in. The only way you can judge whether yours will is to assure that the shoe fits properly (most importantly, that the ball of the foot is at the widest part of the shoe; also important for slippage is that the heel isn't way to wide).

Your salesman could be right. On the other hand, I had a salesman at one AE store tell me the same thing. The heel slippage never stopped, and once I learned to discern whether shoes fit for myself, it's obvious that the shoe is way too long. I thus have a nice pair of Strands that I can't wear. So be careful, and make sure the shoe fits before it becomes unreturnable.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

IF I bought seconds, I would have expected it...not the case.

6. trueimage

trueimage New Member

These are Strands, and I'm already at EEE width. If I go down 1/2 size, the shoe is too tight through the arch. But I do feel that if I push my foot slightly forward, it "fits" better. Is that something a thin insole would fix?

7. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

Tongue pad would serve better. If EE is too tight and EEE is not locking your instep in place/heel cup too wide, then 5 last probably isn't a good one for you. It's already known to be a low instep last.

8. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

If the shoe feels better with his foot pushed slightly forward, the problem is likely that it is too long in the sense that the ball of his foot is behind the widest part of the shoe. If that's the case, a tongue pad will only ensure that the ball of his foot never actually gets where it's supposed to be, which makes taking a step feel really awkward at best. It depends, though, and I suppose trying one couldn't hurt.

I find that once I get a shoe that fits my heel to ball measurement perfectly, there's about half a size of play where I can use length to account for other factors without making the shoe unwearable. Past that, it's best to try another last.

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

The Independence lining is the lining used in the Independence collection. I own the Rutledge, Jefferson and Williams from that collection. I can tell you that it is a very soft lining, Allison tells me that it is the softest lining AE makes. It also has a padded heal seat. It is very soft and very comfortable. I have 25 pairs of AEs, and I can tell you it does make a difference. I am looking forward to a shell shoe with an independence lining.

I also have the Shell Jefferson webgem on order, I am thinking it will be another shell with this soft lining. I have a feeling these two may become my two favorite pairs quickly.

10. GOP Shoe Guy

I just stumbled across a couple unreleased shoes from the Independence line. What do you all think? I added a little info on the namesake of each shoe to understand who they were.

The Braxton - Carter Braxton was a signer of the Declaration that loaned a great deal of $ to support the revolution, and also lost a bunch of $ in privateering. He lost all his wealth, and never recovered.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...0888890?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43c06897ba

The Gwinnet - Button Gwinnet was the 2nd signer of the Declaration of Independence after John Hancock. Gwinnet signed on the far left, while Hancock signed right smack dab in the middle and large.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...2834480?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43bfedb130

There also appears to be the Rush, named for Benjamin Rush. Ben Franklin and John Adams were critical of the attractive, handsome, well-spoken gentleman Rush. The felt he gossiped to much and his extreme confidence came across as arrogance.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

11. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

Those are both great. A shame they were not released

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

How much did your Independece shell Franciscan run you? Perhaps I should call and upgrade my MTO...

13. GOP Shoe Guy

Allison told me they could honor the RDA sale prices on MTO, and as usuals here know, SF members get to waive the MTO fee per Paul Grangaard. So, I got the Franciscan in shell for $505.75. You could get it as a make up in the Independence leather for $403.75. Email Allison, she will take good care of you. I am thrilled to get a shell, with all the Independence stylings...

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

She didn't charge you for the Indy upgrades??? That IS a good deal!

Thanks.

15. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior Member

Current AE Rotation:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.