Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimney

jimney Senior member

So I got in touch with Allison, and I think I'd like to do a more weather-resistant and casual version of the Leeds. I am thinking Chromexcel upper at the moment, and possible Dainite sole. I was hoping I could solicit some advise and ideas for other details.

2. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Maybe consider the Rapid City's? Just like the Leeds they're a PTB on the 1 Last but made with Horween's Dublin leather with brass eyelets and the combination tap sole. They are a great casual version of the Leeds. They're a great deal on sale. Then you can save your MTO for something truly unique (and in Shell!)

3. lostron

lostron Senior member

I got a pair of Daltons in Walnut, but the bourbon color is hard to pass up :)

4. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I pulled the trigger on my MTO Burgundy Shell Franciscans. I am getting it with an Independence lining and insole. A black flat welt, with wheeling, Independence outsole and light brown transparent edging. Also, a silver/nickel buckle.

I have got to thank Subutai for his inspiration. His make up of the Franciscan inspired my shell MTO. I am more excited for this MTO than any other shoe I have ordered and waited for.

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

What exactly is the independence lining?

6. evolved

evolved Senior member

From the website:

• Lined premium burnished calfskin leather upper with ultra-soft lambskin lining

Now I wonder if it makes that much of a difference.

7. jimney

jimney Senior member

I didn't realize the Rapid City existed, so thank you for bringing that option to my attention! I'll probably still talk to Allison about what is available, though. I've found that I don't wear my shell shoes as much as I like due to weather, so this is filling a specific need for me.

Are the Independence insole and outsole appreciably better than the standard selections? I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts.

8. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I didn't think it would, but I've found the Independence lining to make a big difference. Much softer, more comfortable

9. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Awesome to hear! These have become "go to" shoes for me. I'm sure you'll love the burgundy shell. If it weren't so similar I'd get another pair in shell!

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out

10. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Yeah the inside of my Rutledge's are butter. Its weird because I'm aware of how good it feels to have them on every moment if that makes sense. Sometimes its distracting because I'm just wigglin my toes thinking how good it feels when I sb working.

11. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I'd second the Rapid City's. They are really cool shoes, and look much better in person than they do on the website.
    Won't the shell Leeds on the Dainite sole be essentially the AE version of an all-weather walker?

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Maybe I will give it a shot after all that you've said. I wonder if it's not too late for me to change the specs?

13. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Thanks to everyone who gave input about what shells to get.

So while considering what shell seconds to get, I decided to take a trip to my local AE store to a) get my foot sized measured again and b) return my Malverns which were killing my right foot.

I confirmed with the SA that for most shoes I should be a 9 EEE. After returning the Malverns, I of course had to try on some models I haven't tried before. In a nutshell, my next pairs of AEs will definitely be the Patriots and the Rothsays. I really loved both of them. I don't have a loafer, so the Patriots are probably next. The shoes I ended up walking out with, however....are these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Neumoks. For $199 I think they are great. Combined with the walnut Strands and shell walnut Daltons I've picked up in the last month, I think my shoe budget is spent for a while.

Those Dundee truffle shells were in size 9.5 EEE, in case anyone wants to grab them.

14. SBear

SBear Senior member

Great choice. Those look great with jeans.

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Not a huge AE fan, but picked these up during the Patriot sale. I like them, but the sole was a little sloppy. Don't know if I'll send them back or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.