Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noinimod

noinimod Active Member

So i think i read all of the posts here and wherever else i could, about the bowing/top line bulge that many have. Did anyone manage to get the problem fixed by changing their size?

Some say it is a problem of the foot not having enough volume, allowing excess leather to bulge out there. But i'm wondering if it can be due to a high volume foot. On my strands, it seems like my right foot has too much volume / shoe has too little volume.

These strands in 7.5E actually feel abit more cramped, width-wise compared to my clifton (#8 last) in 8D. Pretty wise i'm supposed to be a 7.5 length

Not sure if i should change them for a 7.5EE to see if the bowing problem will be resolved? Gentlemen, your thoughts please?

2. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Now that I've quickly gone from having never heard of AE, to owning 5 pairs...I was wondering if I could get some input on what shoe care products I should pick up. I don't own anything at this moment, so I figure I should pick up at least 2 horse hair brushes. How about daubers? What do those do that the brushes don't?

For my lineup what polishes/creams would you recommend? I see there is premium polish and carnuba wax polish. Which should I go with for my shoes? What should I get for the walnut cordovan?

So I guess my questions is, with the shoe lineup below, what shoe care kit would you put together?

Black & Walnut Strands
    Grey Aberdeens
    Walnut Shell Cordovan Daltons
    Navy Blue Neumoks

Thanks so much!

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

You will need a brush and polishing clothe for each color you own. Considering you won't be using any polish on the aberdeen or neumoks, only Leather Lotion, you can use one polishing clothe for both shoes (a color on each side). If you are using wax, then yes you will need a dauber. If you use AEs polish, it already comes in a tube with sponge applicator. Shell, from what you will read on the forum only needs a damp clothe and a brush… maybe polish if there is a scratch that needs to be filled.

Many people will recommend Saphire products over AEs', I have only used AEs' and am not familiar with how much better Saphire really is.

4. delmar

delmar Senior member

I would go for a pair of those Braxtons if they ever went into production. Big shiny buckles and ultra-soft lambskin lining--that would be an awesome shoe.

5. pomofo

pomofo Active Member

Did anyone ever figure this out? I just saw the same model in a stock list from the Shoe Bank and Google brings up only this thread, nothing more.

6. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Speaking of which I actually have a pair of Allen Edmonds Independence Rush on sale! Haha, shameless plug.

7. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Has anyone had a problem with unusually thin cordovan shell? I hadn't really noticed this until after a few wears, but the left part of the upper of the right shoe is much lighter in color and much thinner than the leather elsewhere in the pair. The difference in color is not discernible in the photo below, but you can see the creasing emanating from the top two eyelets and another crease (with light reflecting from it) running toward the bottom eyelet. Of course all of this is invisible when I'm wearing the shoes, but my primary concern is the thinness of the leather. Unlike the rest of the shoe, it feels quite thin, and I can't imagine it coming from a standard Horween shell. These are seconds, and I am now guessing that this is the reason why. Do I need to worry about durability?

[​IMG]

8. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

How do the Long Branch boots fit? I have 10.5 E in Strand, and an 11D in Fifth Ave.

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

BeraQueezy,

How long did it take you to accumulate all 14 pairs? Great stuff

10. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior member

Hey guys, would you pick up a pair of Jefferson first quality or shell Mcallisters in second quality considering they are the same price. My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend is allowing me to pick my own gift [​IMG] Also in the mix is a pair of first quality Rutledge, but is this too dressy to pair with chinos?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

11. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Strand and Fifth Avenue are on the exact same last, its a little hard to answer this question...

12. trueimage

trueimage New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify: I only tried EEE width, and tried 8 and 8.5 size. The 8 was too tight across the sides and the laces were bulging a bit. 8.5 feels great everywhere except hell slipping a bit, and feels a tiny bit better when i push my foot forward (which isn't much movement).

So based on that you think that this last doesn't fit my foot? I was in the store for over an hour and tried on several and the salesman said this one seemed to fit very well.

13. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

I plan to MTO the most comfortable yet elegant all-weather loafer AE has ever produced, what do you think of the following options:

Patriot in Brown Shell Cordovan with Independence collection lambskin lining, Poron insole, Danite outsole and a flat welt.

14. Commodore Mark

Commodore Mark Member

Inaugural wear of my new Kenilworths....

[​IMG]

15. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Just picked up RL Stratford monk strap in snuff suede and Saunders boot in chocolate suede.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.