Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I really want those Mora 2.0 now. Since I'm really tight (slightly uncomfortable in volume and width) in 8D for Fifth Aves, I think I'm going to go with 8.5D. Should work....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

3. alvin545

alvin545 Member

What does everyone think about the Pine River monk strap? Worn with a casual outfit, mainly with denim. Anyone have first hand experience? How is the distressed/crackle leather?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I just received an email from Amazon and they have started the Rediscover America Sale. Seems to be the same prices as Allen Edmonds will be on the few items I looked at, just sooner.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

Cross post from the black cap toe thread here

Loake Aldwych and Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

a good example of the difference in English and American last design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Interesting! I had never noticed how far apart the eyelets are on the Loakes. I find the PA's look more sleek because of the number and placement of the eyelets even though the last is clearly less "chiseled." Thanks for the comparison shot

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Burgundy Cambridge today! Should be receiving my first MTO today...my cappuccino Dundees. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

Have you tried the Delray?

The Mora 2.0 last is supposedly fuller in the toe box than the 5 last. I tried the Neumora in my 5 last size and that didn't work at all, but I'm tempted with Mora 2.0.

9. evolved

evolved Senior member

Looking forward to some pictures!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

The round bulbous shape of the PAs have actually made me start looking at other brands for my next Black captoe. Sad, since I thought my PAs would be going through several recrafts before I let them go.

Interestingly enough, although they are on the same last, I don't see my Strands or McAllisters as having the same roundish shape. They just look and feel sleeker.

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

12. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

^^^Funny you should ask as I am an avid subscriber to your Black Captoe thread. From what you've reviewed, the shapes of C&J, Alfred Sargent and even Loake appeal to me. I'm afraid to try the higher end pairs (JL, G&G) as I'm quite hard on my leather shoes -- I live in a place where people walk a lot instead of drive.

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

I walk and catch the train to work everyday, and walk to see clients, so my shoes get a bit of wear too.

So this is when rotation comes into handy, don't you already have quite a few pair of AEs.

14. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Yes, I do have a decent rotation (AEs, etc). I wear each pair about twice or thrice a month. But on those days when I wear them, I walk or run to catch trains with them and, occasionally, walk in the rain and puddles during sudden downpours.

I may give JLs and G&Gs a try; but currently I feel more comfortable abusing my shoes when they're not close to the thousand dollar price range. :crazy:

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I've considered replacing my PAs a few times since they aren't the sleekest. Every time I think about it, I get nostalgic as they are my first pair of AEs and I like the idea of supporting American business with great customer service. I also don't wear a black captoe very often as I work in a "business casual" environment.

That being said, if my next pair of shoes aren't a pair of cordovan Strands, I might be looking at AS or C&J for a pair of brown captoes, just to mix up my rotation. Although I probably need to convince myself some moreto spend $600 on one pair of calfskins vs $600 on a pair of AE cordovans, or 2-3 pairs of AE calfs. There lies the dilemma....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.