Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jch1

jch1 Senior member

You guys are certainly welcome. I'm definitely not taking anything personally- I just wanted to be sure that everybody was aware of some pretty good sales beginning in a few days!

2. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

+1

I didn't check this thread for a couple days, and I came back to 417 unread posts [​IMG]

Posting sales is always, always appreciated! [​IMG]

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I think it's an urban legend that AE and Alden use inferior calf/shell on BB models as they use on the shoes under their own brand (and I believe there was an extensive discussion--and possible not just one--about this in AE and Alden threads). I personally can't think of any compelling reason for AE/Alden to do so.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I previously owned some BB strands. The leather seemed identical to their AE branded counterparts.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

5. shitown

shitown Member

I checked with AE and they stated that really the only difference is going to be your outsole, all the other components are exactly the same as Allen Edmonds shoes.

6. ayoungs

ayoungs Well-Known Member

7. clew

clew Active Member

Looking for some opinions. Got my (second pair) Bayfields in today from Lands End and one side of the upper is a lot more wrinkly then I would have expected, much more so than the rest of either boot.The wrinkles kind of grow or shrink depending on the direction the leather is folded, kind of like its loose or hollow under them.
    Sucks because I already had to return one pair that was much worse off than these with drastic creasing and wrinkles. Makes me wonder if they're selling seconds or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this cause for concern, or am I being anal? Seems like it might be from seeing this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    I believe that is how CXL normally looks. It's not your typical calfskin that's found on dress shoes.

9. SBear

SBear Senior member

Replacements arrived today. These are new shoes, all is well. Bad QC but quick response and happy outcome.

10. clew

clew Active Member

Thanks for the response.
    If that was the case though why wouldn't some other portion (big or small) of it or the other one look similar? It's just that one panel. I have some chromexcel chukkas that are not like that at all either.
    Looks like I'm not the only person having issues. Lands end was very helpful last time around.

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks many times over.

Did I ever tell you the about the time someone posted about an Ohio store that had 1st quality shell shoes for $300? That was a screaming deal. Here's how I made out:

[​IMG]

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I also got it too from a store in Boston that week, but unfortunately had to return it due to the sizing issue.

13. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I was browsing the old AE catalogues and stumbled upon "The Imperial" in the 1959-1960 edition

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/1959-1960-catalog

It looks really cool. It's made on the Kent last, which, of course, tells me nothing. However, by looking at it, the shape looks more rounded than that of the current AE models, and appears somewhat similar to Alden's Barrie last.

Ironically, the only actual picture of this shoe I found was on the very first page of the AE thread.
    [​IMG]

14. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I talked to the Jennifer @ J-ville outlet today. If you mention the upcoming sale, they will honor the prices now (generally 15% off).

I was actually looking to get some Long Branch boots for the winter to beat around in the foul weather with. I need a 13B, but the closest she could come would be a 13D. I fear it might be too big so I passed. Could have had it for about $230 though.

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I think you might be better off with the 25% off at J'ville outlet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.