Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

What a lovely sight to behold... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics to come...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Those look great! How do they size compared to the 565 last?

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I wish they'd bring back the Byron. Mine in brown get pulled out almost whenever I'm in a suit during the day (as rare as that is). It was a punched captoe on the 4 last, rather more chiseled and a bit sleeker than the PA; sounds like it might suit your needs.

Maybe see if it's available for StyleForvm MTO...?

[​IMG]

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I don't think there is any indication that the leather is inferior either. I can't count how many times I've examined the BB versions, and the leather quality has never struck me as being any different.

That said, don't automatically assume your last statement is true when you are considering shoes made for another company by a particular manufacturer. Unless the manufacturer has specific rules about not changing the quality of their product, then it is the retailer who determines what the final product looks like (for better or worse). Many retailers sell inferior products compared to what is typically made by the manufacturer as part of their standard line. Brooks Brothers does sell shoes that aren't necessarily at the same level as their manufacturer's standard product (Peal and Co. Shoes being one of them in my opinion). The Crockett and Jones shoes I've examined in person have some nicer finishing details than what I see in the Peal and Co. shoes that are made by C & J at Brooks Brothers. Of course, it can also go the other way... I think some retailers can have nicer products made by a manufacturer than what is typical for that manufacturer to make.

5. MoneyWellSpent

Don't forget about the Poron insole...

6. MoneyWellSpent

Quote:Funny you said that, because I pretty much said the exact same thing over in the Captoe thread when he first posted them.

7. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Carmina has some great choices as well. I'm probably going to purchase a replacement for my Park Avenues on the Forest last this Fall. Simpson and Rain lasts are nice as well, but I don't like how overly elongated lasts look on my size 12D's.

9. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

In my opinion (some may disagree), They run much narrower and a tad shorter than the 5 last. I am usually a 8.5E in the 5 last, and I fit a 9E in the RL bluchers (slaton and sandersons). I had tried the 8.5E and they were just way too tight on my slightly wide foot. 9Es fit a tad loose in the heel, but otherwise are perfect. There are others here who wear the same size as their 5 last size and are fine with it, their feet may be more forgiving than mine

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your insight.

11. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

That's another brand I've been hearing a lot of lately. I guess it's time I drop by that other shoe thread.

Having said that, I do agree with what NWTeal said, AE's customer service is legendary. And I doubt any other shoe company can provide the same after-sales service.

12. MoneyWellSpent

I don't know about the quality of the suede, but it's probably fine. As for the shoe construction, however, I'd say they are quite inferior. I'd guess those are Stitch-Down constructed shoes (and then the rubber part of the sole is cemented onto the midsole):

[​IMG]

I don't think they could possibly be Veldtschoen construction at that price, though some English makers do make shoes with that technique.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

13. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Is this the Brown Burnished Calf?

14. MoneyWellSpent

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks for your insight, MWS. I figured I'd give them a shot, inspect them when they arrive and send them back if I'm not happy with them. I couldn't find a pair of Amok's my size in a color I wanted when they were on sale for $99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.